anyone read Ray Kurzweil's Age of Spiritual Machines?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
err_fatale

anyone read Ray Kurzweil's Age of Spiritual Machines?

Post by err_fatale » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:52 pm

speaking of Kurzweil, anyone read his book? It's about AI, or Artificial Intelligence. According to Kurzweil, by the mid part of this century, if we haven't destroyed ourselves with technology, the technology will begin to become conscious and self-aware. By mid 21st century a $1000 personal computer will surpass the computational capability of the human brain.

Self-replicating nanobots!!!!

anyways, check this link, he has a lot to say, and his synths kick ass.
btw the original Kurzweil K250 was designed by Ray Kurzweil with Stevie Wonder, as Mr. Wonder wanted a more convincing emulation of real instruments.....

http://www.kurzweilai.net/

http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0 ... rintable=1

The Law of Accelerating Returns
by Ray Kurzweil

An analysis of the history of technology shows that technological change is exponential, contrary to the common-sense "intuitive linear" view. So we won't experience 100 years of progress in the 21st century -- it will be more like 20,000 years of progress (at today's rate). The "returns," such as chip speed and cost-effectiveness, also increase exponentially. There's even exponential growth in the rate of exponential growth. Within a few decades, machine intelligence will surpass human intelligence, leading to The Singularity -- technological change so rapid and profound it represents a rupture in the fabric of human history. The implications include the merger of biological and nonbiological intelligence, immortal software-based humans, and ultra-high levels of intelligence that expand outward in the universe at the speed of light.
Last edited by err_fatale on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:58 pm

All it will do is answer questions, and ask new ones. I doubt it will change the fact that nothing has changed since Marduk slew Tiamat, though.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:01 am

It'll reach a point where human stupidity and arrogance will hold back technological advances.

<cough>stem cells<cough>

marky

Post by marky » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:14 am

No, but I know someone who works for him in his Boston office. How cool am I.

Okay. not much.
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

debu

Post by debu » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:30 am

Here's a recent speech with kurzweil debating the optimistic side of biotech. I listened to it last week, it's decent

http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail1017.html

some of his opinions don't take into account a lot of stupidity (legislation) but I've always dug his point of view.

jackmazzotti

Post by jackmazzotti » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:12 pm

if Ray is really smart he will get the va1 into production fast :D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:27 pm

Yeah. I've read it. Great book.
I think the idea for "the matrix" was stolen from that book :wink:

I could use a backup of myself. It would save in travelling costs.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:00 pm

good book, but his predictions are almost certainly wrong (progress never happens quite how people think it will, you can find any number of similar books from the 70s making similarly ludicrous predictions about life in 2000, getting almost nothing correct).

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:17 pm

Yeah, whatever happend to the VA-1???

I figured that synth would be a dead ringer for amazing...

Ray is kinda nuts though, I mean in a good way with all the A.I. stuff and what not...

:roll:

RonChi

Starts out good...

Post by RonChi » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:15 am

I got through the first few chapters. His description of evolution, chaos and the origin of the universe is great, mind-blowing stuff. I find those subjects more interesting than what Ray thinks will happen in the future...

My personal opinion, I don't think humans will be here long enough to figure out how to make a computer act like a human.

Just my thoughts,

Best part about the book, the shiny cover :)