m-audio Torq software

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:22 pm

Psyched.
Sales Dude McBoob - check out "The Ever" scratch tutorial. It has the name of (almost) every scratch known to man.

http://www.asisphonics.net/theever.zip

It's those crazy alien scratches by Mixmaster Mike and Q-Bert that have the nuttiest names...
Last edited by Patch on Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:40 pm

Patch wrote:JohnDP - thanks for your input. The reason I've said what I've said was personal experience. I've tried FS a couple of times, and at different versions, and didn't feel it was quite up to the job.

I've never tried SSL, Ms. Pinky or DJDecks.

I'm just hoping someone can give me advise based on their personal experience.

In your experience, JohnDP, which system works best? I'd be interested to find out what differences there are between them.

I think a good test for these systems would be scratches like Lazers, Rubs, Trubs, Uzis, Phazers and Swipes. Until I've had a chance to try these scratches on each system, I can only compare them theoretically...
A couple of months ago I would have said 100% Serato only since I have it and along with me a million users in every town of this world, but I have to say that other systems are good as well BUT only if these said systems are perfectly calibrated on perfectly clean computers that are also very fast.

SSL works on a G3 mac which is the equivalent of a 1 Ghz PC or even less. FS2 works a charm on perfect, latest computers...On all other systems it fails.

I remember that when I bought SSL two years ago (or maybe two and a half) the seller (a DJ Store in Switzerland) told me that of the latest 17 units of FS2 he sold, 15 came back and I incidentally knew of a "customer" of his that was unhappy but didn't bring back the unit yet...

So if I had to choose I'd go for Serato, also because in the very near future it will implement the Pitch & Time plugin which is one of the ebst, if not the best producer timestretch plugin available on the market today...

p.s. one last thing. check out www.scratchlive.net for videos and if you happen to come across the FS2 video by DJ Solomon please beware than the very "actor" in the movie switched to SSL as did also Richie Hawtin, a leading EDM pioneer that kind of supported FS since its birth...

klarky

Post by klarky » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:40 pm

i use ms pinky and the vst pinky pluggo - it works ok, no noticable latencey but the plug in window is very restrictive. i may just buy torq and compare it to pinky & the u46dj card with built in pre amps i use, i think with the torq program and the fact i use a trigger finger too ill run it and live together and get a second small monitor to run torq on - in fact can you rewire over lan?? i have an old laptop i could use.

Vlex

Post by Vlex » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:12 pm

Hey Patch, i don't own FS, im using DjDecks with my M-audio 1010lt and a FS vinyl (you can purchase these on there own) And i only use it for scratching (i started out as a turntablist, but now with Live im more producing) Latency i briljant, not noticable. The only thing i miss, i a VST version.

You can download the demo @ www.djdecks.be, the only thing you need more is a ASIO soundcard and FS,Pinky Or SSL vinyl.

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:51 pm

Wait a minute, how will this work?
If Live & Torq are ReWired and you change the tempo in Live, then Torq should change tempo too.
So the question is, what happens to the
speed-of the-rotating-record <-> tempo
relationship in Torq?

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:57 pm

klarky wrote: pinky & the u46dj card with built in pre amps i use
How's the latency of the U46DJ in Live? Could you get down to 128 samples given a powerful-enough computer?

4ace

Post by 4ace » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:43 pm

O.K so i just downloaded the UB version's of "Pinky Pluggo" and there stand alone app.

I'm impressed.Using Ms. Pinky as a vst is sweet once you get used to it.

Although i am curious about the whole rewire>tempo control of torq.

I can't imagine how you'd be able to slow tempo in live and also deal with the incoming vinyl signal from torq.It seems to me those two would HAVE to be independent of each other.,...

But hey what do i know :roll:

I hope they prove me wrong,it looks like a cool app. and interface.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:55 pm

Yes, also curious about Latency after the audio is rewired into LIVE then ran through effects (even 3rd party effects)

then you beat match that?

Potentially a trainwreck (no pun intended)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:16 pm

Did anybody try Mixvibes ?
www.mixvibes.com

I tested it, but the only thing I can say is that it works. Better than the others ? Don´t know... Nice: You don´t need special audio hardware (like Ms Pinky ?) AND no phono pre-amps - you plug your turntables into the line-ins of your soundcard.
But I don´t like the layout of the Mixvibes software.
Wish Traktor would not only support Final Scratch...
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:26 am

I used F!@#$cratch 1 and 1.5 and 2 and they worked.
But they died onstage heaps... relentlessly.

I bought Serato to test before a gig.
I set it up and BAM. So I used It.
Werked perfectly ever since.
Heaps.

With the standards of vinyl emulation these days I would like to think that if it is supposed to "Scratch" these days it will sound ok.

I would like to know what Torq is up to though...
would be cool if it was M-Powered...
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset