New Track - White Rabbit remix

Share your tracks with other users.
ethios4

New Track - White Rabbit remix

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:56 pm

I made this remix a while back, so I thought I'd post it here.

White Rabbit remix

The ending is a little crazy because it was created to function in a specific way in the live set...

Sten

Post by Sten » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:07 am

I'm 30 seconds in and I like this already. I love these really heady remixes of tracks you wouldn't normally hear in a club. It sounds pretty muddy to me with all the effects you're using on it, which imo is a negative, and in the same vein I'd take issue with the sheer amount of space the added drums take up in the mix. I love the spaceship sounds you bring in to add to the build, and I think they work well, but could work better with some more refinement. I think the glitch effects in the second verse start off in the perfect direction, but something that I'm waiting for doesn't materialize.
Thanks for sharing,
sten

maxbaun

Post by maxbaun » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:44 am

yea great song. i loved the really heavy drums and how you phased them and panned them. great stereo sound

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:14 am

kewl - maybe you should get some samples from fear and loathing when "his attorney" is in the bath and wants Duke to through the radio in when it peaks

one thing I'll say about this mix is, while it's nice and chilled, that takes away some of the intensity of the track - one of the things that made it what it was was that kind of "marching" feel about it

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:36 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful replies!

Sten-
You touched on the exact issues I have with this remix....it sounds muddy to me too, and lacking in power. Do you think the solution would be? EQ the drums better? Better compression and EQ of the original song? Any thoughts would be appreciatedas these 2 issues are what I've been trying to figure out with this.

Forge-
Haha! The bathroom scene from Fear & Loathing is exactly what we use to seque into this track for live performance! We play the full AV sample of that scene with effects added....it makes a nice transition from 135 bpm psytrance to 107 bpm White Rabbit. God I love that movie!

As for the arrangement...I'm hoping that cleaning up the mix helps to bring out the intensity and power inherent in the song....if not, then it's back to the drawing board!

Again, thanks for the advice!

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:14 pm

This is great... well done.

dolphbean

Tune

Post by dolphbean » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:20 pm

Concur with the muddy comments. Its the kind of tune I would like to smoke a reef too. I has a bit of a hendrix vibe.

Not the sort of tune I like to hear out though. More of a night in with some good hash kind of tune.

Good work.

RobertX

Nice...

Post by RobertX » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:32 pm

Muddy? So what! Sometimes muddy works. :)

Having grown up listening to this, your version honors the original while adding some cool treatments. Very nice work. Keep it up!

DrDJ

Post by DrDJ » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:26 pm

I love it!!!!! :D
I am a novice, so I can't give you tips, but for me this works anyway.
Is there a way to download the mix???

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:16 pm

Hey thanks! Glad you like it!
If you're on a PC, you can right-click the link and "Save Target As". I'm sure it would be much the same on a Mac.

DrDJ

Post by DrDJ » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:23 am

:lol: Stupid didn't think of that.
Thank you.

Sten

Post by Sten » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:06 am

Hey ethios,

After re-listening to this a little, I think the first thing I'd do is take a look at the hihat in the drum section you added, as it seems to have a pretty long decay on it. Secondly, I hear a background kind of whooshy sound (I'm not really sure if it's an instrument or not) which seems to be another source of the muddiness in question. There are parts where this drops out and things sound cleaner, the spaceship sounds don't seem to be a problem to me, as they stand out pretty well from the sample.

Don't know if my advice will help much, but it's still a solid mix no matter what you do with it.

-sten

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:47 pm

wow, excellent point! yes, too long a decay on the drums, and I think I put too much/too long reverb on those drums also, which is the source of the whoosy sounds. I think I'll start re-working those drum parts a bit and see what happens.

Thanks!

Sten

Post by Sten » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:45 pm

Awesome, I'd like to hear the rework if you don't mind posting it up.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:25 pm

Will do. It looks like I don't have the file for those drums, so I can't rework them much...but I did try out a gate on them, and more importantly I EQ'd the original White Rabbit do clear out a bit of the mud and clash from that. I'm burning it now to CD to test out in a few different environments and see how those things worked out.

I'm seriously considering working out all new drum parts for this remix, as a lot of the issue seem to come from those drum parts, and who knows...it could be a lot cooler remix with some cleaner drums!

I'll work with it a bit and post the results here....

Thanks for the feedback!