BCF2000, UC33e or X-Session?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
joesapo

BCF2000, UC33e or X-Session?

Post by joesapo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:18 pm

Which should I get?

Going to order my self a Behringer FCA202 firewire audio interface, and one of the above.... But I can't decide.

Right now I have an EMU Command Station for my MIDI control, but I definately would enjoy bringing along something else to round out the setup.

Definately need something that will handle being gigged. The two Evolution units seem kind of plasticy, but I imagine they would hold up pretty well?

Thoughts? :?:

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:22 pm

I would get the Behringer BCR 2000 over the BCF, you'll want the extra knobs eventually. GREAT controller for the price. After I bought my BCR, my UC33e hasn't gotten touched.
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

MarkyGoldstein

Post by MarkyGoldstein » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:32 pm

How do you use the BCR with Live?
Is it hard to set up?

joesapo

Post by joesapo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:45 pm

I haven't actually used any of these controllers hands-on, except for the BCF. The knobs on the BCR just seem a little too close together... Is this the case? I'm just worried my chub fingers wouldn't be able to tweak these guys as easily.

Note: I have all my Command Station knobs and controllers controlling the actual performance. The additional controller would primarily be used for production / mastering / leveling etc... - not so much for performance.

MarkyGoldstein

Post by MarkyGoldstein » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:51 pm

I have a BCR, but I am not using it, since I got KORE for VST instruments now...

Is the BCR good for Live?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:16 am

sure seems like the #1 most popular controller overall

ahlstrominfo

Post by ahlstrominfo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:22 am

longjohns wrote:sure seems like the #1 most popular controller overall
It'v very good but I've just ordered a UC33 cause I like to be able to sit in cafes and other places and listen and try new music without having an powercord.
My old signature was pretty stupid, so I changed it to this one.

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:32 am

I haven't actually used any of these controllers hands-on, except for the BCF. The knobs on the BCR just seem a little too close together... Is this the case? I'm just worried my chub fingers wouldn't be able to tweak these guys as easily.
IMO they are fine, but could have been a "little" wider. The UC33 are very close together, so don't buy that one then!

It depends on your usage really..if you like faders for levels (I do!), and don't need to many controls on the side, go for the BCF.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:43 am

Very happy with my X-Session. Do you want a cross fader?
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

joesapo

Post by joesapo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:03 pm

Wow... I posted this a while ago...

I ended up getting the BCF2000... and I'm not regretting it at all. It's the perfect compliment for my studio setup.

The motorized faders are the shiz, and having all the extra buttons, plus the 4 banks of encoders(!) is awesome. Was surprised at how easy it integrated w/ Live and my other hardware.

For anybody who wants to konw, I've chosen NOT to use it as a live performance piece, and keep it in the studio. Basically I've got it set up for mastering my scenes. Per track I have volume, play, enable, low-pass filter, high-pass filter, pan and multi-fx send.

At first I wanted an actual crossfader w/ my setup, but I mapped the small horizontal touchstrip on my command station to the crossfader in Live, and it's working very well (given it will be working much better when 6 comes out with the curves and all - the touchstrip isn't exactly too precise).

However, I am quite curious about the rumored X-Session Pro that is due to come out.... :D

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:06 pm

From what I've seen of the X-Session Pro, there's no way I'd "upgrade".

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:51 pm

robbmasters wrote:Very happy with my X-Session. Do you want a cross fader?

The X-Session interests me, but shouldn't the crossfader be towards the bottom not the top?

That's the only thing that bugs me about it..

STRATEGY

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:55 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote:The X-Session interests me, but shouldn't the crossfader be towards the bottom not the top? That's the only thing that bugs me about it..
Yeah, it's a bit silly, but it's never been a problem for me.