Give Your Ideas for the New Ableton SAMPLE SICING FEATURE ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scientist

Post by scientist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:46 pm

@funknotik:
i haven't used a 2000xl much, but here's a few things...the pads are smaller on the 1000, so it might take some getting used to. the 1000 has way better memory handling. it can hold a hard drive and transfer files via usb, so the integration is pretty tight. makes it really easy to transfer samples to the mpc after messing with them in live. i also use the spdif record out, so the signal stays clean. as far as the os, i've never had a crash, and there are actually 2 choices now. the official os is 2.1 and contains slicing and timestretching. and there's now a third party "os 3" that adds even more...biggest of which is grid edit. i think my biggest gripe is there's no track mute automation (don't know if the 2000 has this). my workaround for this is to record directly into live, muting and unmuting while its playing to build all the loops i need.

audiovoid

hit ctrl-E

Post by audiovoid » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:08 am

Ctrl-E. Slice anything up in Arrange view with ctrl-E and then consolidate custom slices back into full loops if you want to by highlighting and hitting ctrl-J.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

datapopstar

or try...

Post by datapopstar » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:52 pm

...the new racks with simpler....everything you expect fom a slicer and much mor can easily done there, beliefe me.

kennerb

Re: hit ctrl-E

Post by kennerb » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:51 pm

audiovoid wrote:Ctrl-E. Slice anything up in Arrange view with ctrl-E and then consolidate custom slices back into full loops if you want to by highlighting and hitting ctrl-J.
For real. This is a great slicer. With warp markers set you can make amazing warped slices. Can you say drum break/
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:05 pm

polyslax wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:If only there was a way to easily put multiple simplers on one track...
Interesting...
Tee heee :lol: :lol:
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

scientist

Re: or try...

Post by scientist » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:17 am

datapopstar wrote:...the new racks with simpler....everything you expect fom a slicer and much mor can easily done there, beliefe me.
alright, consider yourself challenged. post a fully functioning slicer in the 'show us your racks' thread and you can singlehandedly get all this slicing argument/nonsense to stop! (please).

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:07 am

personally i think the AMG One Slicer without the AmG library for about $100
bucks looks good, still researching it though, I wish it recorded audio, or at least i wish you could just record audio into a clip in live and then drag that audio into AmG one, but no such luck i guess.

regarding all the people coming up with Slicer ideas and workarounds, i think
with the exception of willyum and scientist everybody who suggested a work around just doesn't get wtf a slicer is for...... work arounds are counter productive to the innate nature of a 'sample slicer', if you knew what a slicer was you wouldn't even suggest a workaround cause that defeats the purpose
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:14 am

anyone notice that in live6 you can now right click on a sample in session view and click "crop" and it cropps off everything between the sample markers. so if you drop 5 of the same loop and then go through and select the parts you like and click "crop" then you will have your samples availble and you won't get the impulse bug and it doesn't normalize them, so all is good.

auto slicing is for people who are too lazy to cut samples manually in my opinion.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:26 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
auto slicing is for people who are too lazy to cut samples manually in my opinion.
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:34 am

right right right...

cutting your own samples is way old fashioned, I should get with the times and use an autoslicer. and people who scratch on vinyl are practically amish.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

futureproof

Post by futureproof » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:09 am

Im just saying that our modern world is chock full of convenience. Cars, microwaves, net etc etc (I dont mean to sound patronizing but am I lazy because I dont hunt all my own food??).

There is a reason why most other apps (Cubase, Logic, FL, DP) offer this functionality...because its useful and saves time. Helps facilitate getting your ideas down quicker, much quicker in my case..

If you wanna ride on your horse and carriage then be my guest. Have a great time, enjoy the view. I wish I had the time to join you :) Just dont label those of us that are in a bit more of a hurry as lazy please.
"THE biggest differences between Live 3 & 4 are the things that Live 4 have that are missing in Live 3"

-some dude on KVR.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:32 am

Johnisfaster wrote:anyone notice that in live6 you can now right click on a sample in session view and click "crop" and it cropps off everything between the sample markers. so if you drop 5 of the same loop and then go through and select the parts you like and click "crop" then you will have your samples availble and you won't get the impulse bug and it doesn't normalize them, so all is good.

John :lol: 'is faster', have you used recycle, intakt, acids chopper, phatmatik pro, or Live Slice?.... a slicer doesn't make music for you John, it just slices audio. you've obviously cropped samples in Live and in audio editors like wavelab, soundforge or peak, well that's the same ethos as using a 'slicer'.
would you be dissappointed in Live if it's new sampler could slice audio, or if you could slice audio in the clipview properties box in addition to cropping audio?

I don't know why you guys are trying to stop Live from having a slicer...its funny though. I'd think your namesake meant that you would enjoy a sample slicer.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

stinky

Post by stinky » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:08 pm

I think that elitist attitude is shit on arrogant. The possibilities for creativity present themselves through innovation. So, those 5 steps that you cut out using a slicer instead of the arrange view will allow you more time to be even more creative. How about this? I think you're lazy for going to the store and buying milk. Why don't you go find a cow to milk? That way, you can keep your elitist attitude, and not feel guilty for being lazy by buying milk down at the supermarket. I also think you're lazy for using Live. I think everyone should go back to Tape, because then we can really make some music. Oh, and while we're at it, I think using a stove is lazy. I think people should make fire by rubbing sticks together.

Why on earth would any intelligent person want to make things harder for themselves? Oh, you're thinking it's just 5 steps. Well, it turns out to be alot more the more samples you use. I'm not really a samplemonkey, because i just don't like to sample much. But, i see the creativity afforded by slicers.

Basicly, with the attitude you're giving off, your slagging off Dj Shadow as a lazybones... anyone who uses a tracker... hip-hop artists in general.. anyone who uses mpc's...

Ah, I see shades of the "Using presets is like cooking with canned food" thread. Pretty ignorant.
The Talented Mr Stinky.

Live Racks Abe-Wiki

scientist

Post by scientist » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:13 pm

agreed. people always say stupid shit on forums, but for some reason this slicer thing has got a lot of people with high post counts doing it. y'all are going to look real dumb when live's version of slicing comes out...oh, did you miss it? mr henke himself said they're working on it...

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:26 pm

scientist wrote:agreed. people always say stupid shit on forums, but for some reason this slicer thing has got a lot of people with high post counts doing it. y'all are going to look real dumb when live's version of slicing comes out...oh, did you miss it? mr henke himself said they're working on it...

Seattle, I dont' know you? this is getting weird

first LongJohns now you?

what the hell
Ableton | Elektron

Music