Channel mute quantization and control

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Herber

Post by Herber » Mon Jan 07, 2002 3:31 pm

A second ago there was a "feature wishlist" forum, but it dissapeared quickly again :?:, so I'll post here instead:

I would really like if the channel mutes on/off could be controlled my midi-notes, toggled on/off like the clips, and also quantized to bar, 1/4 and so on like the clips. The thing is I want to use the scenes to control where I am in the song (chorus, verse, etc) but I don't necessarily want all the clips "available" for a particular part of the song to blurt out everytime I select that scene (so some should be muted). I could of course make a dozen different scenes to cater for every possible combination, but I'd really like to do this on the fly. Ah, hope this makes sense. :|

Ableton admin

Post by Ableton admin » Tue Jan 08, 2002 1:22 pm

hi,

the channel mutes on/off are controllable by midi-notes like the clips. take a look in the manual if you don't know how to do that. FYI the mutes are also automatically on the F2, F3... buttons.
to set the quantization to the mutes is a nice idea. we have to think about that.
cya.

sven
ableton ag

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 14, 2002 9:48 am

Hey, thanks for the reply! :D Cool to see that kind of direct customer contact! ;)

In my version (PC 1.0), it's only possible to assign continous controllers to the channel mutes, and not midi-notes, (nothing happens when I go to midi-assign mode, select channel mute and press a midi-note, only works with clips) maybe it's fixed in the new version? I'll try it out at once.

The thing I want to accomplish is for the scenes to sort of decide which samples are "available" at a given moment, and then for the channel mutes to actually control if they play or not. So I can switch from verse to chorus and I can still control which clips are playing with the same MIDI-notes as in verse. (as it is now I have different midi-notes assigned to different parts of the song, which is a bit unhandy).