Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot controller

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
4ace

Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot controller

Post by 4ace » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:15 pm

So i got behringer midi foot controller that i'm setting up to use along with my T.F and oxy 8.

Anyone else using this thing?

What have you got it set up to do?
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:24 pm

i run mine through midistroke over the mac's IAC midi bus, it's a free app that lets you turn midi into keystokes, good for deleting clips, etc.

you need to get a midi loop happening to take full advantage mind you.

and also: don't be duped by the name 'presets' by 'preset' the manual means 'button'
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

Mika

Post by Mika » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:29 pm

I ordered one earlier this week, it's not yet here. Basically I want 3 things from it :

1/ Make the the creative/recording process more user friendly for me. Since I play guitar it'll be much more comfortable being able to remorely start Live etc

2/ Once I have a song more or less defined, being able to rehearse how the different parts/loops whatever work together just as if it was a gig. Triggering scenes/clips/loops/recording live parts and inserting them, the possibilities are endless.

3/ Ultimately using it live on stage to control my laptop. It should give me the possibility to play alone and yet to sound like a band. With lots of flexibility to trigger different clips and make it a "real" live performance and not something uni-directionnal and pre-recorded.

LIve on laptop + midi pedal = heaven for guitarist, Well I hope anyway!!!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:40 pm

I'm picking one up, too. I play live Impulse percussion on a Yamaha drum controller, and will use it to switch between my Impulse presets, and to toggle my IEM click track on an off. I'll also use it to launch audio, video, and lighting IAC clips while playing percussion, and use the pedals to crossfade between Live audio clips and my live percussion, and to ramp the tempo up or down between tracks to match tempos.

Doobie Dan

Post by Doobie Dan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:43 pm

My FCB setup has 8 of the 10 pedals tied to the play button of 8 different tracks which are all constantly armed and tied to different inputs - this is used to live loop a different band member depending on which pedal was hit. The other two pedals are scene up and scene down (which are IAC scripted to go up-launch-up and down-launch-up to override the goofy default behavior).

Good luck!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:28 pm

hambone1 wrote:I'm picking one up, too. I play live Impulse percussion on a Yamaha drum controller, and will use it to switch between my Impulse presets, and to toggle my IEM click track on an off. I'll also use it to launch audio, video, and lighting IAC clips while playing percussion, and use the pedals to crossfade between Live audio clips and my live percussion, and to ramp the tempo up or down between tracks to match tempos.
yeah mate. You sorely need more kit for that anorectic rig you're running.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:11 am

Doobie Dan wrote:My FCB setup has 8 of the 10 pedals tied to the play button of 8 different tracks which are all constantly armed and tied to different inputs - this is used to live loop a different band member depending on which pedal was hit. The other two pedals are scene up and scene down (which are IAC scripted to go up-launch-up and down-launch-up to override the goofy default behavior).

Good luck!
Could you please explain how did you set up this or - better - share a syx file :)?
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:44 pm

this is exactly what I'm looking for. Can you please share your setup ?
Art

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:09 pm

There's a link to Quandrys extensive ramblings on setting up an FCB on the wwiki (liked below)

But, briefly put the simplest way to set up an FCB to do what is described above is to go into normal preset editing mode, the one you dont have to hold down multiple pedals on start-up.
then for each 'preset' (pedal) press and hold it down then hit the enter pedal (up I think?) to edit each pedals settings.

You don't want program changes active(the botom left two pedals) or anything else much, really you just want midi notes for the easiest setup. You can de-activate the switches, etc, but dont go turning off the expression pedals in your preset though. I did that and wondered why my wah worked when I pressed pedal 1, but as soon as I pressed pedal 2 the wah stopped working!

you must remember this device is made as a guitarists pedal board for behringer rack units. each pedal is a 'preset' and is designed to send a chain of info, its sometimes easy to forget that when using it as a clip triggger.

anyway - once all th epedals have midi notes and the wah-type pedals all have the same midi CC numbers assigned and you have made sure the ranges on them are OK - you can now simply assign wach pedal to the clip trigger slot which magically appears at the bottom of each track when you enter midi mode.

I copied Quandry's extensive FCB ramble to the wiki a whole back

http://www.teragon.org/wiki/index.php?t ... an_FCB1010

Socketeer

Post by Socketeer » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:58 pm

on the fcb yahoo usergroup you can download a pc editor for the fcb which makes setting it up correctly a breeze. good luck.