Alternate terminology for Live 6 master/slave feature...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sales Dude McBoob

Alternate terminology for Live 6 master/slave feature...

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:44 pm

Hi,

I would like to suggest an alternate terminology for the new master/slave functionality in Live 6.

This terminology pops up from time to time with different kinds of pro audio equipment. For example, it's often used with wireless beltpack intercom systems. When I tech someone or explain the how different systems work, I usually try to think of a different terms to describe this functionality. With the wireless intercom systems I will say master/remote as opposed to master/slave.

Let's face it. Master/slave has negative connotations. That will never change.

The problem is that master/remote doesn't fit the new Live feature very well, so right now I don't have something to suggest. Perhaps we as a group can think of some alternate terms for this and suggest to the Abes to consider making the change.

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:58 pm

""...language merely reflects existing social conditions, and that we cannot influence its development by any direct tinkering with words or constructions." - George Orwell

how bout "mistress/gimp" for newspeak?

"If all printers were determined not to print anything till they were sure it would offend nobody, there would be very little printed." - Benjamin Franklin
second class robot

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:52 pm

I'll stick with master and slave unless the Abes change it.

One controls (the tempo) whereas the other is controlled. That's pretty much a master/slave relationship if you ask me.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:59 pm

eisnein wrote: how bout "mistress/gimp" for newspeak?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes. they should definately make it that!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:16 am

people shouldn't be so freaking sensative. I understand it's a touchy subject but come on....

there are master slave components in most cars too(don't recall what they are anymore). should we change the name of those?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:47 am

Johnisfaster wrote:there are master slave components in most cars too(don't recall what they are anymore). should we change the name of those?
Grease Nipples!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:48 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:people shouldn't be so freaking sensative. I understand it's a touchy subject but come on....

there are master slave components in most cars too(don't recall what they are anymore). should we change the name of those?
I'm not sensitive. This is simply about the semantics of a word. As it stands we are going to be reading this word over and over again. When people give technical support they are going to be saying the word a lot. Threads in the forum are going to read "Slave blah blah blah".

It's not a big deal. I'm just suggesting a change.

How about Master/Free

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:00 pm

I'd kill to see it called mistress/gimp instead! :)

sqook

Post by sqook » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:21 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:people shouldn't be so freaking sensative. I understand it's a touchy subject but come on....

I'm not sensitive. This is simply about the semantics of a word. As it stands we are going to be reading this word over and over again. When people give technical support they are going to be saying the word a lot. Threads in the forum are going to read "Slave blah blah blah".

It's not a big deal. I'm just suggesting a change.

How about Master/Free
Sorry, but "Free" is a confusing term that makes absolutely no sense in this context. "Slave" makes sense because the "slave" device is controlled "master", and has no "freedom" in terms of its clock rate, output, or so on.

This whole discussion kind of reminds me of how victorian era pianos had pants to cover their legs, as the connotation of a naked leg was considered obscene at the time. Oh yeah, and we can also thank them for "white" and "dark" meat, as saying "thigh" and "breast" was also taboo. Put into this context, it's pretty silly, isn't it? ;)

People should just get over their little personal embarassments and just use what terms make sense. Male/female cables, master/slave devices, and greasy nipples are here to stay.

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:47 pm

How about:

Server/Client

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:01 pm

Pimp mode and Bitch mode?

glu

Post by glu » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:25 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:Pimp mode and Bitch mode?
I love it!
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:18 pm

You animals!

You... make... me... sick!

Bitch Mode? Gimp? Chicken Breast? Greasy Nipples? Naked Piano Leg?

If there's a high road and a low road, be warned, there appears to be bumper to bumper traffic and two hour delays on all low roads heading into Abletonia.

:wink:

inis

Post by inis » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:13 pm

I think this is a rediculous argument to begin with...but, if you look up the definition of slave, i think it represents what we are talking about far better than any of the other words suggested. I think it is a very accurate description. If you choose to see it in reference to some kind of dark time in history, then you are living in the past.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:45 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:Pimp mode and Bitch mode?
:lol:

yeh - might be more up to date than mistress/gimp

save the kids from having to learn any knew terminology!