THE BEST SINGLE MIDI KEYBOARD CONTROLLER FOR LIVE IS...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

THE BEST SINGLE MIDI KEYBOARD & CONTROLLER FOR ABLETON LIVE IN YOUR OPINION IS...

M-audio Axiom
5%
Novation Remote SL
46%
CME VX
8%
Korg Microkontrol
8%
Korg Kontrol 49
13%
Other (post it, and your reasons)
21%

Total votes: 39

alvaro

THE BEST SINGLE MIDI KEYBOARD CONTROLLER FOR LIVE IS...

Post by alvaro » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:19 pm

I think this poll may very useful for users who are looking for the best suitable MIDI keyboard controller in the market nowadays (like myself).

Also may be interesting for the Abletons, who might evaluate the popularity of the brands/models listed above in order to increase their integration with Ableton Live...

So cheer up to share your experience with this comunity, and thank you!

EDIT: we are supposing that money does NOT match in this choose... you just look for the BEST featured and suitable for our dear daw...
Last edited by alvaro on Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:26 pm

IMO, that's like asking what the most suitable car is.

It all depends on what you want to do with it.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:29 pm

Unless you're going with a quality keyboard, I would get on of the cheapest you can find. There's not much difference in quality between "el cheapo" hardware and super "el cheapo" hardware.

I'm saving up for a decent keyboard and meanwhile replaced my broken down 300€ edirol keyboard with a 75€ Midistart-2 keyboard.

The cheaper one actually feels better. Probably because it's 3 times as heavy as my old edirol. The keys feel the same, except the lubricant isn't as sticky as on the edirol..

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:41 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Unless you're going with a quality keyboard, I would get on of the cheapest you can find. There's not much difference in quality between "el cheapo" hardware and super "el cheapo" hardware.

I'm saving up for a decent keyboard and meanwhile replaced my broken down 300€ edirol keyboard with a 75€ Midistart-2 keyboard.

The cheaper one actually feels better. Probably because it's 3 times as heavy as my old edirol. The keys feel the same, except the lubricant isn't as sticky as on the edirol..
I have added a note on the original message.... money is not a problem... you just look for (in your experience/opinion) the BEST... please let me know your choose...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:56 pm

If money is no problem. I would probably go for a CME vx or maybe another CME keyboard.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:10 pm

CME good keys and very solid but too solid for me., I mean the weight, so I am getting something made the way i want. Novation SL is shit of disappointment, just like any M audios. Korgs probably give most and are more reliable from ready made controllers.
CME no esta mal, tengo UF5 nuevo que pudeo vender quando termino hacer demo canciones para Waldorf. Manda mensaje si te interesa.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:10 pm

rikhyray wrote:CME good keys and very solid but too solid for me., I mean the weight,
Then you haven't really played with the the new one - even with all the motor-faders it's totally light.It's the VX series:(sorry for the large pic)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:58 pm

...is not a keyboard at all, it's a GUITRON .... ;-)

ok, i'm shameless.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Machinate wrote:
rikhyray wrote:CME good keys and very solid but too solid for me., I mean the weight,
Then you haven't really played with the the new one - even with all the motor-faders it's totally light.It's the VX series:(sorry for the large pic)

Where did you try it?The distributor didnt get any yet. Looks same to me. I had 88- monster, 61 little better but monster now making ( damn I am not making at all, just did one lousy song till date, better get on it tonite) the demo for Waldorf with the UF5 and it is same bloody heavy and bulky. But I see a display on the new one that might be interesting.At last I would know where I am. Waldorf Nano drives me nuts with 1000 sounds but I never know where I am maybe with the new one it will be easier. I was already thinking of putting Nano inside Korg Kontrol49 but that new CME might be easier

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:45 pm

rikhyray wrote:
Machinate wrote:
Where did you try it?The distributor didnt get any yet.
MusikMesse of course - you were there as well :P
The first thing I did was wig out on the motor faders: SUPER smooth.
Second thing: Lift it ;) I knew the first generation of CME keyboards was high-quality, but too heavy. This one feels a lot less like a back-breaker.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:39 pm

I'm really liking my Remote SL but I have to say that the Nord Lead 2x is still my favorite input device. It is just so well laid out.

3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:00 pm

If we're talking smooth keys, then the Virus TI-K. Same keybed as the Fatar SL161 BTW, if you just want a controller.

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:16 pm

the guy is asking for midi controllers, not synths...

I liked the VX series, but why on hell these units come with a USB audio interface? Just to make the thing more expensive?
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:25 pm

SubQ wrote:the guy is asking for midi controllers, not synths...
Sorry. Can a synth not be a controller? Sheez

Considering I paid $600 for my nord I would say it puts it in roughly the same price range as any serious "controller" out there.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

deva

Post by deva » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:53 pm

kennerb wrote:
SubQ wrote:the guy is asking for midi controllers, not synths...
Sorry. Can a synth not be a controller? Sheez

Considering I paid $600 for my nord I would say it puts it in roughly the same price range as any serious "controller" out there.

Yeah, I paid $500 for my Korg Z1 and it makes a great controller, plus you get a fine synth!. Heavy though. I do wish there was a new controller that had polyphonic aftertouch. Imagine a guitar where if you bent one note on a string, all notes bent and that was the only choice! That is what we are stuck with. How nice to have PolyAT!

CME or Novation... whichever comes up with a PolyAT version of their top controllers will be getting my money