Spike Lee's documentary on HBO - the Katrina thing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Spike Lee's documentary on HBO - the Katrina thing

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:14 pm

anyone watch last night

I even opted out of watching SP to watch this - very good stuff, interesting

I actually learned alot about the events before, during and after

it was very Spike Lee'ish as well - with the jazz playing in the background of the deeper parts, random shots of kids playing the horn

but it's good www.hbo.com

Ableton | Elektron

Music

ProducerDJ

Post by ProducerDJ » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:44 pm

I checked this out too with my wife. I liked the fact that Spike presented various points of view. Very moving.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:35 pm

I plan on watching tonight.My buddy has a dvr.......

I had to watch the Saints get their ass handed to'em.... :roll:

Anyway it's about time some of the conspiracy theory get's coverage.....

I went back for jazzfest and my hometown just isn't the same.

It was hard driving through the 9th ward seeing people trying to find where their homes used to be.

I love this country but i hate our government!

There are soooo many things that led up to the events,..almost as if city planners were daring mothernature to try it.

Can't wait to see it!
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:52 pm

Yeah we Tivo'd it as well - it's kind of long 2 hours and 15 minutes but worth it

you're from New Orleans - I'm from Laurel MS and used to fly out of New Orleans (as opposed to Jackson)

From what I saw on the documentary - they knew the Levee's could and would break

I did not know back in the 20's they blew the levee's up to protect the more expensive homes when it flooded and flooded out the 9th ward

crazy
Ableton | Elektron

Music

4ace

Post by 4ace » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:15 pm

That's a hell of a transition to seattle ehh,.....

Yeah, a little known fact is that about 5 families have run a "Legal Mafia" in La. for the past 50 years.

So i guess we sorta brought it on ourselves for allowing these crooks to have their way.

Here's to a new start.

Some people have said New Orleans was crazy for re-electing Nagin for mayor but, he's done more for that city in 4 years than anyone could have imagined.

It takes time to undo 50 years of corruption :wink:

Take it easy in seattle, it seems like a great city....and don't forget to eat your grits....like a good southerner.... :P
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:05 pm

From what I saw on the documentary - they knew the Levee's could and would break

I am 28 years old today. When I was in 7th grade, we watched a film in my Earth Science class. It was a doomsday documentary which basically discussed what would happen to New Orleans the next time a big hurricane hit. I think that was in 1990 or so.

They showed a cartoon cross-section of the city, and how it was below sea level.... and how the water would break the lavees and it would fill with water like a soupbowl.

The scientists interviewed all said.... "This isn't a question of IF, but WHEN."

The night before Katrina hit, I remember sitting at the bar with some friends having dinner... and I told them.... This is it. That city is DONE. Over. Say goodbye.

This wasn't some big surprise. We knew it was going to happen.

I say the real crime is that the levees were ever built in the first place. It is simple scientific fact that water and gravity are both incredible forces which cannot be completely tamed. You fuck with mother nature, and build a city below sea level..... then at some point the sea is going to claim it back. Well, to be fair.... the city sank below sea level over the years.

As bad as this sounds, I think that rebuilding there is crazy. The levees should be destroyed.... the water allowed to find it's natural equilibrium, and then the situation reassessed. If any land remains above water following that..... THEN maybe consider rebuilding.

Fixing those levees is insane. When you try to fight water, at some point you are going to lose the battle... and the result, we have learned, is death.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

rtopia

Post by rtopia » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:17 pm

subterFUSE wrote:
It is simple scientific fact that water and gravity are both incredible forces which cannot be completely tamed. You fuck with mother nature, and build a city below sea level..... then at some point the sea is going to claim it back. Well, to be fair.... the city sank below sea level over the years.
I'm curious...

...is there any evidence pointing to the fact that this problem was actually made worse by all the levee development in places further up the Mississippi?

(hee hee - I did the mississippi song to make sure I spelled it right)

- r

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:29 pm

these threads are starting to sound like sheep.........

someone says "hey, follow me.......I have some edited one-sided views"......and a large group of people just bbbaaahhh bbaaaahhhh along......

Hate on me if you will, but I just can't help thinking that all the side taking with these "docudramas" are exactly what the "controling parties" want.

It's like "I have to win" so they force feed people who will put up with it.

Let me try to put it another way....do you really believe that people ......anywhere in the world......who have the ability to control outcomes of ANY kind can/will ALWAYS make the right decisions?

Ok, so I'm a dick, but I am really trying to make a point.......I would just love to see less of the conspiracies and finger pointing.......

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:47 pm

Bahhhhhhhh

:wink:
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:55 pm

subterFUSE wrote:Bahhhhhhhh

:wink:
hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha :lol:

very nice!

melocoton

Post by melocoton » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:04 am

subterFUSE wrote:As bad as this sounds, I think that rebuilding there is crazy. The levees should be destroyed.... the water allowed to find it's natural equilibrium, and then the situation reassessed. If any land remains above water following that..... THEN maybe consider rebuilding.

Fixing those levees is insane. When you try to fight water, at some point you are going to lose the battle... and the result, we have learned, is death.
Uh ok :roll: Tell that to the Dutch.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:43 am

melocoton wrote:
subterFUSE wrote:As bad as this sounds, I think that rebuilding there is crazy. The levees should be destroyed.... the water allowed to find it's natural equilibrium, and then the situation reassessed. If any land remains above water following that..... THEN maybe consider rebuilding.

Do the dutch have tropical storms with 150+ mph winds, and tidal surges greater than 20 feet?

:?:

I didn't think so.

reset

Post by reset » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:04 am

subterFUSE wrote:

I am 28 years old today. When I was in 7th grade, we watched a film in my Earth Science class. It was a doomsday documentary which basically discussed what would happen to New Orleans the next time a big hurricane hit. I think that was in 1990 or so.

They showed a cartoon cross-section of the city, and how it was below sea level.... and how the water would break the lavees and it would fill with water like a soupbowl.

The scientists interviewed all said.... "This isn't a question of IF, but WHEN."

The night before Katrina hit, I remember sitting at the bar with some friends having dinner... and I told them.... This is it. That city is DONE. Over. Say goodbye.

This wasn't some big surprise. We knew it was going to happen.

I say the real crime is that the levees were ever built in the first place. It is simple scientific fact that water and gravity are both incredible forces which cannot be completely tamed. You fuck with mother nature, and build a city below sea level..... then at some point the sea is going to claim it back. Well, to be fair.... the city sank below sea level over the years.

As bad as this sounds, I think that rebuilding there is crazy. The levees should be destroyed.... the water allowed to find it's natural equilibrium, and then the situation reassessed. If any land remains above water following that..... THEN maybe consider rebuilding.

Well, Fuse, where you live at? Kansas? Tornadoes. California? Earthquakes, Mudslides, Austrian Governor. A far as I can say...FUCK YOU!

On the movie side of things, did they talk about Da Parish? I guess not really. 5 out of 27000 homes still habitable. Fucking killer.

NOLA will not be the same as it was, but it will always be there to show you fuckers what a good time is. If you haven't lived there, don't talk shit.

Later,

reset

http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2006/02/ ... o-and.html

http://katrinavideo.info/
http://rclique.org
Little Phatty, MonoMachine, SH101/09, Xbase09, Micromodular, Moebius.

reset

Post by reset » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:06 am

subterFUSE wrote:
melocoton wrote:

Do the dutch have tropical storms with 150+ mph winds, and tidal surges greater than 20 feet?

:?:

They did have in the 50's.
I didn't think so.
http://rclique.org
Little Phatty, MonoMachine, SH101/09, Xbase09, Micromodular, Moebius.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:47 am

Thank's reset, you saved me some time with that response.....

NO ONE CARES UNTIL IT HAPPENS TO THEM......

Bad shit happens everywhere it's a fact of life.It's how you deal with shit that counts.

P.S i think New York should be abandoned because plane's hitting building's are just too risky..... :?

I guess that makes sense to ya huh "fuse"...

It's such a fucking joke the way things were handled, I feel as though the rest of the country see's it's victim's as a joke also.
It's just how i feel....
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb