Lemur Opinions ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Robert Henke

Lemur Opinions ?

Post by Robert Henke » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:55 pm

Hello Folks,
it seems there are some active Lemur users here. I would be curious to get a bit of insight what you are actually doing with it- This is a complete non-Ableton question, i am just curious because I write some text about performance and interaction...

Feel free to PM me if you do not wish to post your secrets (?) here.

Thanx,
Robert

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:16 pm

Hi Robert,

Jazzmutant sent me a Lemur a few months ago for demoing here in NYC, both for my live shows and work. It was very easy to set up and get around on from the start.

I built a custom interface for both my Ableton setup and for Traktor (which I was demoing at the time). I set up things like a friction controlled "ball object" for controlling crossfaders - the crossfader bounces to and fro depending on how hard you throw it. I also built an effects section interface for all of my live effects plugs - I had a filtered delay thing going where one object simultaneously moved 2 parameters with reverse polarity (HA! but that was before live 6)

Overall, the lemur is a very inspiring surface to work with and is very flexible in its customization. I haven't tried V1.5 yet, but if its as good as I hear, I might finally incorporate it into my live rig. I'll let you know how that goes (if it happens).

d.chong

Post by d.chong » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:51 pm

Robert
I am a DJ producer an active Lemur User,
I never used nothing but vinyls for my set, since I discovered the lemur, I am now using live + lemur, and it tottally changed my way of performing for the best.
The best thing with the lemur is that u build exactly what u need.
You can find a movie with me using the lemur in a club in my website
www.djdavidchong.com
I must say that I would have never go digital if it was not because of the lemur.
If u want the dj mixer I programmed for the lemur send me a message thru my website.
Cheers
David

iamabletonite

Post by iamabletonite » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:10 pm

Hey Robert..

I'm a dj, producer, and use the lemur as well.

I currently use the Lemur to emulate some of the Mackie control surface messages, so that I can get around Live easier. Also, I have a bunch of custom controls for filters and 4 band eqs for 4 channels. The filter one lokos just like the filter control in Live, with a x/y space and you use the multiball object to control cutoff and q. There are buttons above this that select filter type and filter on/off.

The 4 band eq is another multiball x/y space, with 4 balls for the 4 bands. Next to this are 4 knobs that control the q for each eq parameter.

I have a setup for launching clips too, but for now I use another midi controller for that.

I'm interested to see what Live 6 enhancements if any, there are to it's midi control. I have a mental wish list of things I would want to be assignable/controllable with midi (or maybe OSC in the future??).

I am still thinking about other things to control with the lemur. I plan to use it to make some custom interfaces for other audio effects plugins, weather ableton or otherwise.

ALso, I have a few production oriented interfaces, one of which being a large grid of pads that I use to trigger some software drum machines.

womoma

Post by womoma » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:37 pm

Lemur? Thats a Cycling 74 product isnt it? :D

C.S.

Post by C.S. » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:47 pm

No. They use c74 for US distribution. The Lemur is a Jazz Mutant product.

sweetjesus

Re: Lemur Opinions ?

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:54 pm

Robert Henke wrote:Hello Folks,
it seems there are some active Lemur users here. I would be curious to get a bit of insight what you are actually doing with it- This is a complete non-Ableton question, i am just curious because I write some text about performance and interaction...

Feel free to PM me if you do not wish to post your secrets (?) here.

Thanx,
Robert
hi robert

i dont own a lemur, but i've seen you perform very closely with the monodeck so i hope i can give u 'some' input.

when i saw you perform i didnt notice a lack of interesting controls you had over your music but noticed more of an approach similar to mine which is to have context relative buttons with varying states and the ability to indicate those states.

i did notice at times you needed varying degrees of precision and at times you were happy to just mash on your buttons (but that was really after you had done most of your music).

this brings me to the lemur. i dont have stubby fingers or anything, but i found that with the lemur i had to constantly be looking down and being 100% aware of everything i do. no rockstar moves here unless your screen has a limited range of controls.

knowing some1 like yourself, you will probably build completely custom interfaces which have a meaning for you and you only and once you have a library of these it would probably start to be fruitful.

but dont forget, it's about making good music and nobody in the audience will care if you use a lemur or a casiotone keyboard to get the job done.

the aspect of the lemur that interests me is the fact that over time you will be able to have a range of UI objects which speak the same musical language as one's mind, but i've been able to achieve that with a normal touchscreen and my own software for a lot less $$.

the lemur wont be your only controller and if it is then i feel you will find something missing from the tactile world and will need a second solution anyway.

so perhaps keep your monodek and add a cheap simple normal touchscreen to yoursetup and make your own interface and do things the lemur cannot, the most important being to have serious logic related clip data contained within your sets.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:59 pm

I wish the goddamn thing would get off my couch and get a job!!!

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

womoma

Post by womoma » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:02 pm

C.S. wrote:No. They use c74 for US distribution. The Lemur is a Jazz Mutant product.
Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:45 pm

I don't own own, but definately am having an e-bay sale to get one.
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:39 am

Tone Deft wrote:I wish the goddamn thing would get off my couch and get a job!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you mean one like yours where you spend all your time on the Ableton forum??

peeddrroo

Re: Lemur Opinions ?

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:02 am

sweetjesus wrote:so perhaps keep your monodek.
or perhaps not.
give it to me then.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:24 am

I'm getting over the Lemur lust. For what I do, it doesn't offer a significant advantage over my BCR2000 and LX2. And I trust hardware far more than software.

Anyway, Behringer's Orangutan will probably be out soon enough at a tenth of the price...

4am

Post by 4am » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:19 am

hambone1 wrote: Anyway, Behringer's Orangutan will probably be out soon enough at a tenth of the price...
not to hijack but,
do you have more info on this?

i'm since a moment whishing to buy a lemur but the price is still to high for the job it does (at least for me)

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:55 am

Intended as a joke (sorry... thought it was obvious!), but I bet Uli Behringer and his reverse-engineering team are working with the Chinese sweatshops already.