5.2.1 Mac constant crashes - several workstations

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
kbadelt

5.2.1 Mac constant crashes - several workstations

Post by kbadelt » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:49 am

5.2.1 Mac (Universal, run on PPC) crashes on all workstations in our team, every 10-30 min. Mostly un-reproduceable crashes. Often with "delete MIDI tracks", inserting new instruments, opening songs. Next time doing the same is fine. Then again crash. Quad G5s, 5+ GB RAM, minimal AU plugs setup. According to crash dump 99% of the crashes are in 'direct' Live code, not plugs. We work with MIDI tracks/instruments mostly, less audio. 5.0.3 no problem on same workstations. Seems there are a lot 'under the hood' issues related to Universal Binary changes?

Would like to hear if anybody else has stability issues out there after upgrading to 5.2.1, more than before. Meanwhile we're going back to 5.0.3.

justin

Post by justin » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:15 pm

not had much more probs from v5.2.1 than v5.0.3
updated mainly cos of (novation remote SL) automap, then cos G4 powerbook logic board died... so now testing 5.2.1 on intel mac.

still crashes, perhaps not quite as much.
IMO, v5 is by far the least stable version of live and stupidly CPU / ram hungry.
apparently v6 beta runs using approx half the resources of v5.

it's frustrating to be customer of a company that jumps onto next thing b4 fixing current releases... :(

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:20 pm

justin wrote:IMO, v5 is by far the least stable version of live and stupidly CPU / ram hungry.
This is because of dual-core support, not a 50% code optimization ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Pitch Black

Re: 5.2.1 Mac constant crashes - several workstations

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:41 pm

kbadelt wrote:Would like to hear if anybody else has stability issues out there after upgrading to 5.2.1, more than before. Meanwhile we're going back to 5.0.3.
5.03 >> 5.2.1 on single 800MHz G4 here.

No more trouble than before, 5 is a bit flakey on my system, but I generally put it down to running it on a pretty antiquated Mac.

But just to let you know from betaland that 6 is a VAST improvement on the same system, like no comparison. GUI, workflow, stability all excellent. I'm sorry that isn't much help to you right now, but just to let you know better things are just around the corner...

cheers,
p
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Amaury

Re: 5.2.1 Mac constant crashes - several workstations

Post by Amaury » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:42 pm

kbadelt wrote:5.2.1 Mac (Universal, run on PPC) crashes on all workstations in our team, every 10-30 min. Mostly un-reproduceable crashes. Often with "delete MIDI tracks", inserting new instruments, opening songs. Next time doing the same is fine. Then again crash. Quad G5s, 5+ GB RAM, minimal AU plugs setup. According to crash dump 99% of the crashes are in 'direct' Live code, not plugs. We work with MIDI tracks/instruments mostly, less audio. 5.0.3 no problem on same workstations. Seems there are a lot 'under the hood' issues related to Universal Binary changes?

Would like to hear if anybody else has stability issues out there after upgrading to 5.2.1, more than before. Meanwhile we're going back to 5.0.3.
Hi kbadelt,

Are you using control surfaces, set as such in the MIDI Preferences? Live 5.2.1 can behave the way you describe under certain conditions, on the Mac platform, with some control surfaces.

You can contact me directly at support@ableton.com, with a reference to that thread.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

jxnblk

live 5.2.1 crashes on a macbook

Post by jxnblk » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:38 am

i just bought a new macbook 13", (switching from a pc) and live "crashes" everytime i quit the application. i get a message that says live quit unexpectedly and asks me if i would like to reopen it. this happens if i hit cmnd+Q, cmnd+W, or select quit from the menu. i'm using an m-audio FW audiophile. and mac uses its own "core audio" drivers for it. i think they may be the culprit. is there anyway to get the m-audio mac drivers to work instead?

bildeaux

Post by bildeaux » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:21 pm

This is the same behavior I have been seeing for a long time. Been screaming about it, but abes keep saying it must be my vsts. Ableton crashes when loading a song or during playing. Been very very unstable to the point of unusable. The only changes I made were getting the MOTU Ultralight and the Remote 25SL. I even showed the bug to one of the vst guys at NAMM and he seemed a bit baffled by it, but has been busy with Live 6 to look into it. Sent many crash logs in, but nothing back. It seems to happen with too many vsts that it can't be all my vsts. Even worked with some of the vst developers and they eventually said it must be ableton.

So not sure what to do. Can't trust Ableton for live shows right now :(

b.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:37 pm

Unfortunately Live 5.2.1 can randomly crash on a Mac if any of the available MIDI controller surfaces (Remote SL; MackieControl, ProjectMixIO or Tranzport) is selected.
This will be fixed within Live 5.2.2 which will come soon.

Regards,
/Alex

cheeky

Post by cheeky » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:21 am

I've started to use the RemoteSL 61 and have had the same random crashes!

Glad I'm not the only one!!

Looking forward to 5.2.2.

Regards

CK
G4, Dual 1.25Ghz. OSX 10.4.1. 2Gig Ram, Motu 2408 MkII.

justin

Post by justin » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:46 am

Machinate wrote:
justin wrote:IMO, v5 is by far the least stable version of live and stupidly CPU / ram hungry.
This is because of dual-core support, not a 50% code optimization ;)
oh, great!
so maybe v6 will continue where v5 left off...
now it'll be able to crash both cores simultaneously!
:roll: