Abysynth Users

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Aby

Abysynth Users

Post by Aby » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:00 pm

does absynth 2 have a good enough sample editor to use in Live as an audio
editor?

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:08 pm

if you're on a low budget just get goldwave, it's cheap and really good

http://www.goldwave.com

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:13 pm

afaik absynth doesn't have a sample editor.

k

aby

Post by aby » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:27 pm

the reason i'm asking is that I'm heavily into sampling and would like to actualy use a sampler with some special abilities for my editor but I don't want to have to leave that samplers environment to do basic cut and paste editing, I've been reading about how absynth 2 can do wonderful things to samples and I thought it might be a good choice, but I'd also like something that I can just make loops, delete excess audio and stuff with in one program. would that be absynth???

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:13 am

aby wrote:the reason i'm asking is that I'm heavily into sampling and would like to actualy use a sampler with some special abilities for my editor but I don't want to have to leave that samplers environment to do basic cut and paste editing, I've been reading about how absynth 2 can do wonderful things to samples and I thought it might be a good choice, but I'd also like something that I can just make loops, delete excess audio and stuff with in one program. would that be absynth???
It's Kontakt you want not absynth. Absynth is a synth, kontakt will more than adequately do what you want.

aby

Post by aby » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:53 am

thanks guest for the kontakt tip, but I was under the impression that kontakt was great for mangling samples but didn't have an audio editor, did I get that wrong, and also it seems that people have alot of trouble with the program as far as stability goes, i'm on a pc do you think the kinks have been worked out?

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:42 pm

head

get a grip!

Post by head » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:42 am

ok, neither absynth nor kontakt will do what you're asking for!

you need an audio editor. Bias' Peak is by far the best if your mac based. A number of others are available if you're PC.

Do not buy Kontakt for this purpose (kontakt has an option to assign a sample editor as it doesn't do thisd...and absynth even less!)...I mean, if you're going to advise anyone, get the info right...
H
M.T"head"
1_Mac Pro Quad
2_Macbook pro 13'
Apogee / Motu /etc

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:08 am

Kontakt works fine but is definately not what you're after, Goldwave is the cheapest option, then Cool Edit (now called Adobe Audition) or Soundforge (sony) and Steinberg Wavelab. Soundforge is the best in my opinion, but Goldwave does most jobs perfectly well for a fraction of the price.

aby

Post by aby » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:11 am

ok I understand that you guys are saying 'get a wave editor, which I have wavlab, and currently use that as the 'editor that I can assign to Live' but is there anything on the pc platform that I can get that can mangle samples like I hear people talk about kontakt, or that can do special things to samples like absynth is suppose to be capable of, so what I mean
is something that can be used as a mangler and a common wav editor.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:49 am

get reaktor then - then you can do anything you want, without limitation (except your intelligence as it is complex)

aby

Post by aby » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:04 pm

and if i'm not that smart, what would be your next suggestion? :lol:

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:00 pm

suggestion would be - most people are smart enough, don't be lazy, it is worth the effort :idea:

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:55 pm

Don't discount just using Live 3 to mangle samples. You can hit the consolidate button to create a new sample when you are happy with your creation. that includes just trimming and stuff like that. I've not used anything else for months now and a lot of my stuff sounds pretty mangled. :lol:

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:03 pm

I think Live is an excellent sample editor too :)
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.