Can I use live audio stream as a sample in Simpler preset?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
eri kossu

Can I use live audio stream as a sample in Simpler preset?

Post by eri kossu » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:09 pm

So the thing I want to do is to use some kind of realtime performance recorded and used as a sample to be a preset in Simpler at the time it is performed.
I have seen a presentatioin with max/msp where sax was played and recorded, manipulated live with max and played back. Then the sax player tried to improvise into what he was hearing. The result was not artisticly good, but I like the idea.
I would have a MIDI clip playing some notes, that are sampled from live input.
I hope it makes sence.

Some time ago I looked into a MIDI sapler LiSa (live sampler) what will use a buffer to take samples from, but I never got around to try it.
I like to visually see what I am doing and not enter some numbers and commands to get computer responding.

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:43 pm

You should look into this, if you use a Mac, it's an auto looper that allows you to assign samples in realtime to midi keys. It doesn't have all the features of Simpler, but it's still very cool...

http://plasq.com/musolomo/

-jason

eri kossu

Post by eri kossu » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:58 am

Thanks!
I looked at musolomo.
At the first impression I think it is not exactly what I am looking for, but I shall play with it some more.
What I try to accmplish is:
on MIDI track I use Simpler for a instrument
instead of preset sampler I drop a audio file into sample window
then I consruct a bar/clip of MIDI notes, what will play sound samples from that audio file.
But I want to use live feed for that audio file. So I have a melody sonstructed with MIDI notetes, but the instrument it is played on is a person talking for instance. Or a mashine noise.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:16 am

Sure, just record enable an audio track set to the correct input. Record a clip, drop it into simpler set up on a midi track.

But perhaps I misunderstood you? If you want the audio to be really live (ie just press a freeze button before playing the midi) you need some sort of plug in.

eri kossu

Post by eri kossu » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:32 am

Yes I want this sample audio evolving in realtime. So recording and using the recorded file is not exactly what I want.
Does anybody know a plugin for that?

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:24 pm

But what do you really want to do with the real time audio? Without temporarily freezing the audio buffer your options is pretty limited as far as "playing" it.

You can gate it of course and do some limited pitch shifting.

eri kossu

Post by eri kossu » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:16 pm

To freeze a recording may be OK, if I could automate this process.
So lets say in every full bar(or a second) recorded clip will dumped into Simpler sample window.
So in a way I want to play a live sound with midi keyboard or some other midi feed. Like while sax is played I could use this music as my synth sound. There will be a big part for chance - when I play a key it will sound different next time I play it.
Maybe this will illustrate what I try to accomplish.

annihilator.1

Post by annihilator.1 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:18 pm

you should investigate VST's for realtime use.

You can try melodyne or autotune for pitch theres a filter that can be played with a midi keyboard & the filter is tuned to notes etc.

Sorry no links but search google.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:34 pm

Well, what almost fits your bill is Ioplong's Slifty. It is a sampler you can record into, but you have to press a button (which probably can be midi mapped). I don't know if you actually can play it via midi (possibly), but you can step sequence it on the fly within the VST.

Also try flitchSplifter and Splonki. Booth are variation of the same theme: record and rearrange/mess up on the fly. Great fun for live improv. Donationware and PC only, AFAIK.

http://andreas.smartelectronix.com/index.php?nav=1

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:38 pm

try playing around with musolomo, I think it's what you want.

eri kossu

Post by eri kossu » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:00 pm

I drop a audio file(.aiff) into Simpler sample window. Using keyboard or midi arrangement I play that sound. Try it.
Now if could do the same to the activly recording/playing live file.
So the file itself is changing while I use it.

http://www.steim.org/steim/lisa.html

This app will do it, but i do not want to pay hefty price for that idea only and since I have a Live already. My thought was that since Live is built on MaxMsp it would be possible.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:02 pm

eri kossu wrote: My thought was that since Live is built on MaxMsp it would be possible.
No. Live doesn't have anything to do with Max/MSP, except that both are nifty program.

But you could probably build a plug like that in Max without any problems. So, go ahead and do it. Or try using the tools that are suggested in this thread, even if they doesn't exactly fit what you want. These are pretty much your only options at this stage.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:41 am

Wow, that musolomo looks like fun. Ever seen Lomo photography? Apparently that's what inspired the creators. Anyway, I'm downloading that now, hoping to try it in the next few days. Thanks for bringing that up!

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:43 am

I was right -- musolomo IS fun. It is to setting up a sampler what the "MIDI learn" feature is to setting up MIDI control in Reason [or Ableton Live]. Genius! Now I'm spoiled and I want all my samplers to have that easy setup feature.

nolus

Post by nolus » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:20 pm

grain delay ??????
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"