Dj Controller for ableton : ) !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:08 pm

Can't one of you Max/MSP whizzes do something with this?

http://www.motioncomputing.co.uk/produc ... _ts_le.asp

You'd have the ability to use it as a computer when not being used as a controller.
Last edited by hambone1 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:19 pm

Anybody been to mac rumor sites today? 8O

No mention of a tablet. But everything else that would be required to make the tablet a hot product, have been announced (not officially ;) )
Itunes movies. HD-streaming, video ipod, updates of the mac line.......

I'll wait for the 1500£ tablet that runs osx.
A cheap one-touch will just make me want a lemur more. But the lemur has too many disadvantages....
Why go lower if you aim higher?

Dj-Globe has a good initiative. But in the end it's just max-patching 101.

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:33 pm

But the lemur has too many disadvantages....
As I'm now considering a Lemur, can you please list those disadvantages

I'm intrigued (and worried!)

Thanks
Kr.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:40 pm

Krugger wrote:
But the lemur has too many disadvantages....
As I'm now considering a Lemur, can you please list those disadvantages

I'm intrigued (and worried!)

Thanks
Well. As many already pointed out. It's not great for outdoors.
The only feeling you have is that of your fingers touching plastic. With no kind of velocity sensing at all.
It's very expensive, so not easy to replace during a tour.
And i wonder how it works in those very very humid clubs.

axou

Post by axou » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:44 pm

hoffman2k wrote: Well. As many already pointed out. It's not great for outdoors.
You mean, because of sunlight reflections ?
I can confirm that humidity doesn't affect the touch sensor, which is activated by pressure, nothing else.

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:00 pm

Apart from the velocity note below, the other comments don't apply to me
I don't play out etc - The only DJ scenarios on Ableton are indoor parties and the environment is very much under control.
The remaining use is about replacing my much loved Mackie universal, my MIDI keyboard (I can't play really and adjust velocity with my mouse always) and KORE altogether.
The price obviously would make it a bit of luxury, but treating oneself once in a while never needed too much explanation (except to the girlfriend, The Goddess of All Explanation)

Thanks for listing them anyway - at least now I know the concerns are rather Live Performance related

Cheers
hoffman2k wrote:
Well. As many already pointed out. It's not great for outdoors.
The only feeling you have is that of your fingers touching plastic. With no kind of velocity sensing at all.
It's very expensive, so not easy to replace during a tour.
Kr.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:32 pm

axou wrote:
hoffman2k wrote: Well. As many already pointed out. It's not great for outdoors.
You mean, because of sunlight reflections ?
Yeah. And very bright lights I imagine.
axou wrote: I can confirm that humidity doesn't affect the touch sensor, which is activated by pressure, nothing else.
With humidity, i was talking about the combination of a (potentially?) foggy screen and sweaty hands.

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:36 pm

Off the JazzMutant site's FAQ:

Does sweat modify sensitivity?

No. We even noticed that the touching sensation is more pleasant with sweaty hands, or when the sensor is slightly wet or greasy.

I suppose any Lemur owner could confirm this
Kr.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:43 pm

Krugger wrote:Off the JazzMutant site's FAQ:

Does sweat modify sensitivity?

No. We even noticed that the touching sensation is more pleasant with sweaty hands, or when the sensor is slightly wet or greasy.

I suppose any Lemur owner could confirm this
What sensitivity? It has none....
It can sense 10 fingers. Thats all.

Anyway. I'm not trying to talk you out of it or anything. I'm talking myself out of it ;)

I believe something better is coming soon in the same price range. (But soon could mean 18 months, so it's relative)

axou

Post by axou » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:55 pm

hoffman2k wrote:What sensitivity? It has none....
sensitivity : the quality or condition of being sensitive

It makes total sense to mention sensitivity when speaking about touchscreens, as there are lots of different techonogies that rely on different physical principles and behave differently.

It can sense more than 10 fingers though ;)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:05 pm

axou wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:What sensitivity? It has none....
sensitivity : the quality or condition of being sensitive

It makes total sense to mention sensitivity when speaking about touchscreens, as there are lots of different techonogies that rely on different physical principles and behave differently.

It can sense more than 10 fingers though ;)
I guess my main point is...: If you cant bash on it like a madman. Then what good is it to a madman?

It can sense your fingers and it probably has nice resolutions with OSC. But it's only 1 dimension. Touch sensitivity.....
No velocity, no proximity sensors....

There are better ways of doing this. The lemur is just version 1 of a whole new generation of controllers.
Hell, the damn thing is 2 years old already (probably older in design)...

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:38 pm

Some word to explain some things:

This its and no is a mimic of lemur............
Some word first:

question:
4 chanells vestax its very similar in features to 4 chanell mixer numark or staton etc etc............so that are mimics? yes an no....

I not consider MIMICS, .............JAZMUTANT SHOW TO THE WORLD WHAT IS THE WAY FOR THE FUTURE OF THE CONTROLLERS.
I think some companys take that way soon and prices of this controllers in just 5 years go very down : )

I remember robotech cartoon.......cobra cartoon, and lot of manga cartoons where the interspatial ships have touchscreen controllers, with multitouchs lol....so lemur its a mimic of that? naaaaaaaa :)

Jazzmutant people make plagiarism of this cartoons or mimics of the JARRE ideas? NO

Roland with D-beam, technology make plagiarism of the old theremin?

NO! : )

My concept its taked not only from lemur, its taked form different places, my own ideas, lemore concept, mixers, based on how ableton work, based on what djs need for use ableton etc etc etc.

My respect to lemur developers!

And i repeat this its created for people cant buy lemur, and want CHEAP, practical super durable and elegant way to dj control ableton in live gigs.
Super durable its another point, im very tired spending money on cotollers whre sliders after few months start show problems!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About multitouch:

the actual troubles with multitouchs are OS, not supporting multiple input at same time, so implemt need lot of work.
Touchscreens, on the market not support multople touch, just a few and now work ok. (we working now with saw models)

Implement multiple touch its the more compex step, and that is the best point of lemur, and its one feature i want ionmy controller in the very short next future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This project not its a magical solution,........due to spectative created, i reprogram lot of things and put all info an price in the next days, before date anounces on the page, back soon with more info.

Oh one more thing, one guy here, on the forum coment how thsi work exactly, chek, i not remember nickname, he epxlain in 3 points how this basically work.

Best regards.

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:21 pm

Oh one more thing, one guy here, on the forum coment how thsi work exactly, chek, i not remember nickname, he epxlain in 3 points how this basically work.
precisely sweetjesus on Page 4

at least the speculation is now over
Kr.

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:23 pm

Dj-Grobe wrote: Jazzmutant people make plagiarism of this cartoons or mimics of the JARRE ideas? NO
being inspired by a cartoon to create a multitouch controller is one thing, but taking the exact design of a controller and make another controller...

nothing bad in developing your own project. But why do you need to copy the DESIGN, the visuals of the lemurs switches, faders, multiballs (in your case, monoball)? sorry but i find this practice unethical. Reminds me of these fake brands like Sonny, Diezel, Adidac or Versase you can buy in countries like China, Turkey or... Russia.

im sure there are loads of other different ways to design a button or a fader...
im sure there are loads of graphic design students who would love to get involved in such a project, for free.

Well anyways... if someday you become famous i hope you dont mind if i begin to dj under your name ;)
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:27 pm

I personally didn't enjoy the Lemur because of the lack of tactile feedback. It also didn't seem to lend itself well to "fast" use.

In my opinion, though, it did what it said "on the tin" very well.

rs