Problems registering serial number...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bgone

Problems registering serial number...

Post by bgone » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:43 am

Has anyone else had this problem?

When you go to register your serial number on the website, you get the following message:

"The serial number you entered is already registered to another user account. Our support team has been notified."

I had this happen with my version 1 software and now version 5...
I am the rightful owner of both my serials and my version 1 is boxed...
I am working with Ableton to resolve this but it has not been easy...
Just curious if I'm the only one who's had to deal with this...

bgone

Post by bgone » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:01 am

Guess so... :?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:05 am

have they not resolved it yet for you?

you didn't buy that thing off ebay did ya ;)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

bgone

Post by bgone » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:45 am

No...I bought Version 1 right when it came out. I believe I bought it through zzounds.com...but I'm not 100% sure as it was like 2001...regardless, I only buy software through authorized dealers like zzounds, musiciansfriend, Mars Music, etc. So I know my software is legit.
I only recently tried to register the s/n because I saw how incredible this software has become since then and knew I wanted to get back in on the Live action. 8)

So...I tried to register my s/n so I could get the upgrade price...but when I entered the number on the website it told me someone else had registered it. So I emailed them and they wanted proof of purchase, but I had long ago lost reciept so I took pictures of the product and s/n and offered to take my box to a local authorized distributor to authenticate it. Well...after a few emails alluding to them looking into it, I never heard back from them. I decided that since I am the rightful owner of this license and thus am legally entitled to the upgrade and did not want to miss out on the current incentives to do so, I decided to attempt the upgrade without resolution from Ableton on the ver1 issue. Well, it worked...and so I decided to not worry about my ver 1 license anymore. Now...I should have gone immediately to the website and registered my ver 5 but for some strange reason, I didn't...Shame on me...but when I saw beta six was released to the next group, I realized I needed to register it...I figured no problem...well lo and behold I get the same message informing me that someone else has registered my serial number. Now I could find plausibility that over the course of several years, my Ver.1 s/n was hijacked through either a crack or s/n generator and maybe someone even registered it.(Which is something I don't think most users of cracked software would try to do!) But to have my ver 5 s/n say the same thing after only a couple weeks? I have to believe this is some wierd glitch or else those are some pretty crazy odds that BOTH my valid serial numbers were registered by another person. Fortunately, I have my email reciept from the upgrade to 5...I'm just hoping this one won't dead-end as this is currently the serial number that counts.

annihilator.1

Post by annihilator.1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:25 pm

i had the same prob the other day because my email address on the ableton website was slightly wrong , just contact support & they will help you out.

Needs2Know

Post by Needs2Know » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:15 pm

support@ableton.com

it helps if you mail them the receipt email "in text" that way they have all the info on your product and can verify you are the rightful owner. i always do that whenever i send them an email about new product keys.
LOGIC PRO 7.2 w/ G4 1.67 1.5G RAM . Mac OSX 10.4.8, LIVE 6.0, Virus TI Keyboard, Korg EMX1, AXIOM 25 and Keystation Pro 88 midi controllers, Midisport 2x2 midi interface, UltraLite audio interface and 1 Rode NT3 mic "check, check".

silverface

Registration problems

Post by silverface » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:40 am

It seems to be a common problem from what I'm reading. I can't register mine either - I got version 4 with a piece of MAudio equipment, checked for upgrades, d/l's version 5, tried to register with the number THEY gave me - and they say it's being used by someone else.

So I can't use the software at all until they resolve it - I have no idea what crippling they do to the demo, or Lite, or whatever it is version and I'm not going to do a bunch of work and not be able to save it or something.

Several people have posted the same thing - seems like it's something they might want to fix if they want to sell "real" software.

njh

Post by njh » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:03 am

i had the same problem..

glu

Post by glu » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:25 am

I have had the same problem as well. Emailed them friday night but haven't heard anything back so far. that's cool, its the weekend and I had to work anyways... still wanted to stay up late last night and toy with the beta though.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

bgone

Post by bgone » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:00 am

Well...The Abe's did get back to me and sorted out my issue. For those who are currently having problems, just have faith.
They might take some time, but as long as your software is legitimate, I see no reason they won't get it straightened out for you too.
Obviously there is some glitch with their registration, so that should be further assurance that they will get it sorted out.

Siverface: You should be able to still use the software. It is only the "official registration" that is screwed up. The "unlock online" should still work fine.