Question about multicore use

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jbfunk3

Question about multicore use

Post by jbfunk3 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:12 pm

May seem like a dumb question, but I've been looking for answers and haven't come across anything yet. I am currently using a G4 IBook 1.33GHZ. I need to upgrade to a new intel machine but I don't want to break the bank yet on something huge so I am thinking about getting the new Mac Mini 1.66 GHZ Core Duo. Will I notice a significant difference on the mini over my IBook with Live? Also, will Live 6 use the Core duo in the mini with the new mulit core technolgy? Will the mini benefit from that performance boost too? Any help is appreciated.

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:57 pm

The difference between PPC and the new Intel line of processors is definitely a massive step forward in terms of speed and power.

Live 6 is being designed to exploit duelcore technology, so indeed it will speed things up in contrast to Live 5.2 which can only take advantage of one processor. I'm using a MacBook and already LIVE is frighteningly quick, so I'm I'm looking forward to see how it fast things get when it is using 100% capacity of my processor.

I'm not sure how much Mini's are, but I really think it's worth saving up for a iMac. Especially as they had an upgrade to Merom 64bit processors. The cheapest iMac is excellent value for money.

dogma -

Post by dogma - » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:34 pm

PLEASE carefully check the specs on apples website.
The new 17" is essentially the same as the Yonah (2mb L2 cache) - Merom using exactly yhe same board as the original Yonah.
Spend the extra dollars coz it might be with for a couple of years