CDJ's or Vinyl

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will CDJ's eventually replace Vinyl Turntables

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 29

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:38 pm

I think this subject is subjective. If you think CDs are better, then you are more likely to switch. If nothing beats the feel of vinyl for you, then you will more likely stick with it. Maybe DJing with software is it for you...

One thing is for certain though, the online sale of MP3s has greatly surpassed that of vinyl and CDs, for obvious reasons such as convenience and affordability.

Some newer tunes will never be released on vinyl, especially those of lesser known artists trying to make a name for themselves. But the fact also remains that some older tunes will nerver get released as MP3.

adonis says:
It's good to keep your hands in a little bit of everything that way you don't show up to the gig and be like

er, what's that...
Sound advice, adonis!

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:00 pm

Curious - you think it's worth it to come up on 1 CD J 800 for the time being?

I could swing one now
Ableton | Elektron

Music

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:55 am

i'll never stop droppin WAX!!!

too much fun

3 1200's and im happy for hours

and to anybody who thinks beatmixing is easy i say your not using enuff turntables
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:56 am

Definitley! I'd do it if I had the extra skrill...

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:05 am

mike holiday wrote:i'll never stop droppin WAX!!!

too much fun

3 1200's and im happy for hours

and to anybody who thinks beatmixing is easy i say your not using enuff turntables
I feel the same playa however - alot of good stuff is coming out on digital and as I make beats and more of my friends make beats the need for a CD J increases - if you're gonna have one might as well have 2

but I can live with one - I got a guy on CL who's got a 800 for $450 <-- I should probably swoop huh?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:24 am

djadonis206 wrote: I feel the same playa however - alot of good stuff is coming out on digital and as I make beats and more of my friends make beats the need for a CD J increases - if you're gonna have one might as well have 2

but I can live with one - I got a guy on CL who's got a 800 for $450 <-- I should probably swoop huh?

that's why i dropped the loot on my xone 3D ;)

i figure if im gonna go digital i might as well go digital
live + wax = big fun.. i use live mostly for FX but i can drop the occasional loop/cut any time i please!
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

chewy

Re: CDJ's or Vinyl

Post by chewy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:55 am

They already have. At least at the club where I play.

The turnables are still used, but more and more as drink holders than anything else.

CDJ1000's all the way.

~chewy
I like trance.

Apple Macbook Pro 2010 13inch, Windows 7 64bit, no OSX, Live 7.

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:53 am

cdj's are lame. dj's using cd players should stick to weddings.

if you wanna play digital, use one of the many available vinyl>computer software/hardware options.

cdj's just have no vibe, no soul, so bland and sterile...
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

DAN1

Post by DAN1 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:26 am

I have been telling all the dinosaurs that digital is the way to go for years, however recently I have been more and more aware of a nagging feeling that vinyl really does sound SO much better, maybe hard to pin it down exactly what's different, but when you play on a big sound system and slip a vinyl track in with your ableton / whatever set, there is definitely more presence, more energy, just a bit more whoosh to it. It may be to do with the warmth added by subtle distortion, technically a 'worse' sound, but it does feel so much better!

Which is a pain in the ass because digital wins on all other points. Maybe with better storage mediums on the horizon we can play higher sample rate files and add a vinyl emulation pluggin on the master channel - sorted!

ikke

Post by ikke » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:29 pm

detroitechno wrote:cdj's are lame. dj's using cd players should stick to weddings.

if you wanna play digital, use one of the many available vinyl>computer software/hardware options.

cdj's just have no vibe, no soul, so bland and sterile...
well then those are in place as 99% of the music blenders have no soul either.. :lol: :lol: djs are sooo overrated

theque

Post by theque » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:25 pm

i think you need to look at what has happened with audio technology to see what will happen. people throw out there worthless outboar gear, samplers and analogue synths as people throw out there old records and reel-reels. already people are looking to find that old analogue stuff cause it has that special sound. these things move in cycles and over time people seek out that old stuff more and more as it becomes more valuable and they realise they cannot recreate those sounds like they thought they could. the same with vinyl digital wil be popular but seeing someone play vinyl and analogue will always be amazing.

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:34 pm

Ah yes, analog turntables going through digitial mixers... I love that great analog sound...

In a perfect world, they're would only be vinyl. But seeing as it's not, I suppose if you need to move with the times to keep up with the competition.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:05 pm

The way of the future! :lol: