will v6 have sidechaining?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Johnisfaster
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 am
Contact:

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:27 am

everyone can.

somehow everyone thinks ableton is supposed to spend time coding a feature that you can already do with freeware plugs. and god forbit if ableton charged for this feature, wow then you'd really never hear the end of it.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

jackmazzotti
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:40 pm
Location: Boston

Post by jackmazzotti » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:28 am

bensuthers wrote:> doesn't work with waves or elemental audio

> or am i wrong

you're wrong.

I use it with elemental audio Neodymium ALL THE TIME.
i am on the mac

and I haven't seen any option to route to neodiums sidechin input

what am I doing wrong

longjohns
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:42 pm
Location: seattle

Post by longjohns » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:51 am

people keep slamming the video feature but remember that's what gave rise to the master warp/ tempo mapping, which i think is very useful

bensuthers
Posts: 760
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:51 am

Post by bensuthers » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:15 am

> i am on the mac
> and I haven't seen any option to route to neodiums sidechin input
> what am I doing wrong

how could I possible know?

do you know how to route audio in Live?

In the following picture, Neodynium is on Track 3. The first audio track has an aux send (A). Aux A's output is set to the sidechain input on Nedynium. This flexible method allows you to do a submix for the sidechain input.

The second audio track's output feeds directly to the sidechain - so no audio in the master outputs, just to the sidechain.

Image

jackmazzotti
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:40 pm
Location: Boston

Post by jackmazzotti » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:51 pm

thanks for your help

krachtwerk
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: berlin

Post by krachtwerk » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:25 pm

rbmonosylabik wrote:I can sidechain, lol

i see u work with mac, so the big question is how????

because i dont seem to manage sidechain with ableton on a MAC!!
************************************************

Machinate
Posts: 11646
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Machinate » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:28 pm

[anorak] "external key input" [/anorak]
;-)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

krachtwerk
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: berlin

Post by krachtwerk » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:29 pm

krachtwerk wrote:
rbmonosylabik wrote:I can sidechain, lol

i see u work with mac, so the big question is how????

because i dont seem to manage sidechain with ableton on a MAC!!

erm :oops:

nevermind
************************************************

Mike Goodwin
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Toronto Can.
Contact:

Post by Mike Goodwin » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:39 pm

eamoon wrote:Unless you're going for the eurocheese sound, that is...
I don't use much SC compression much but it can be used in very creative ways that do not result in "eurocheese". I am more fond of gate with side chain fun thoug myself :)

Airwave
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:46 am
Location: Near Brussels
Contact:

Post by Airwave » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:51 pm

jackmazzotti wrote:doesn't work with waves or elemental audio
or am i wrong

no sidechain
basic stuff so important to electronic music completely lacking even in v6
Well well well

in fact, THERE IS a sidechain compressor, hidden somewhere in Live, and you wouldn't believe this, it really makes wonders for dance music, but unfortunately not for anything else..

Forget about comp II for 5 minutes. Insert AutoPan, set the rate to 1/4, with a saw-waveform, set the angle to O° first. OF course remove the L to R effect, unsuitable here. INVERT the waveform with the box on the left side of the plug. Set the shape as you want it, to emulate the release of compression, while you can set the angle to 345-359 to simulate slower attacks. Increase the amount slowly until you get the amount of "comp" that you want.

it really helps. So you guys wondering why the ableton ppl didn't go for sidechain compression plugins in L6?? I think this more or less explains why!

I am not sure but I didn't find this little tip back in the forum pages... maybe someone could post a link if there's 1??

Laurent
OOPS

Johnisfaster
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 am
Contact:

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:59 pm

thats not nearly the answer anyone was looking for I don't think...

look up dualcomp
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/5769.html

it's still a bit buggy but it's a sidechain compressor for osx. it doesn't seem to do anything other than that sidechain pumping stuff. don't expect it to be a normal compressor too.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

djadonis206
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: Seattle, WA.

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:23 pm

Airwave wrote:
jackmazzotti wrote:doesn't work with waves or elemental audio
or am i wrong

no sidechain
basic stuff so important to electronic music completely lacking even in v6
Well well well

in fact, THERE IS a sidechain compressor, hidden somewhere in Live, and you wouldn't believe this, it really makes wonders for dance music, but unfortunately not for anything else..

Forget about comp II for 5 minutes. Insert AutoPan, set the rate to 1/4, with a saw-waveform, set the angle to O° first. OF course remove the L to R effect, unsuitable here. INVERT the waveform with the box on the left side of the plug. Set the shape as you want it, to emulate the release of compression, while you can set the angle to 345-359 to simulate slower attacks. Increase the amount slowly until you get the amount of "comp" that you want.

it really helps. So you guys wondering why the ableton ppl didn't go for sidechain compression plugins in L6?? I think this more or less explains why!

I am not sure but I didn't find this little tip back in the forum pages... maybe someone could post a link if there's 1??

Laurent
That's just a bomb tip

word - I love Autopan for all kinds of reasons - actually it's my favorite plug in right now

peace

Ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

djadonis206
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: Seattle, WA.

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:25 pm

But if you want traditional sidechaining roll with the VANILLA COMPRESSOR

I use it everyday, all day in everyway i must say - and I didn't get it on ebay

ugh, I'm a dope rapper
Ableton | Elektron

Music

plain
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:03 pm

Post by plain » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:43 am

eamoon wrote:Yep, and I've had good results with various Reaktor-based compressors. That said, if you're relying on sidechained compression to make your music pump, you should probably work harder on your choice of sounds. If your various bass sounds don't step all over each other then there's no need for fancy compression tricks, and the result will sound more solid. Unless you're going for the eurocheese sound, that is...

not a reason for you to suggest that we dont need sidechaining...if you dont want it dont say anything...not everyone makes music the way you do

Johnisfaster
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 am
Contact:

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:18 am

plain wrote:
eamoon wrote:Yep, and I've had good results with various Reaktor-based compressors. That said, if you're relying on sidechained compression to make your music pump, you should probably work harder on your choice of sounds. If your various bass sounds don't step all over each other then there's no need for fancy compression tricks, and the result will sound more solid. Unless you're going for the eurocheese sound, that is...

not a reason for you to suggest that we dont need sidechaining...if you dont want it dont say anything...not everyone makes music the way you do

sidechaining is not a lazy trick to make use out of bad sounds, with heavy sidechaining going on you'll get a pumping pulsing sound that no other trick is going to get you. that said, if someone is using sidechaining then I wouldn't say they are relying on it to fix anything, they are simply using it for the affect that it brings.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Post Reply