Finished song-Arrng. View-confused by finishing steps......

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Finished song-Arrng. View-confused by finishing steps......

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:11 am

:oops: Greets fellow artists:

I know how...unforgiving this forum can be, so i hope i can get some newbie recording queries answered.

Im using Live 3.0(master)Rewired w. Reason 2.0(slave).

Been hired to submit some songs(and a remix).

I know how 2 use the session view as a improv sketch pad.With decent results.

More often than not i usually use the arrangement window as a composition tool.

I have samples that ive dragged onto Arr. view,usually modified 2 my liking. Some tracks are audio recorded from Reason.

The whole song now(without touching any record features) is fully laid out in Arr. view. Composition complete

Levels and efx placements are all in place. Automation really isnt necessary. From top to bottom i have 11 tracks. The mix,as far as i have it sounds good.

Is my song now actually finished? As i want to have this burned to CD.

My confusion lays in that:
  • -do i have to save this as self contained?
    -do i have to record what i have in the arrangement to disk?(i tried to record my track #1,as an experiment out of my confusion, and while it did record,i had no signal piped thru anywhere.
    -where does rendering to disk fall into the scheme of all this?

I have read(re-read) the manual, and combed the forums,but some lack of brain synapse within is blocking the obviousness of my confusion. Sorry if this seems rudimentary, but the finishing processes(including some mastering maneouvers) leave me guessing........

Hoping for your kind considerations.........................BeDhEaD

-

radder

Post by radder » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:20 pm

Mastering is another story, but getting your song to disk is as easy as selecting a time range (drag across the entire song in the arranger window to select the measures that have music in them) and go to File --> Render to Disk

Some people go another route and render individual tracks, and bring those into their trusty multitrack software of choice for mastering etc, but I personally don't notice any problem with direct multitrack renders from Live 3.02

Asf far as mastering, all I know is to throw a compressor or limiter on the master channel for hotter signal, or bring the rendered audio file into a wave editor and use its compressor or limiter. Take a look at the waveform of your song and compare it to a ripped professional CD track that's similar in sound to your track. That'll give you a good idea of how much to compress or limit. Play around with it. It's surely not a science.

Oh well, hope that helps.

bedhead

It sure did help.....

Post by bedhead » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:49 pm

Thanx for your reply radder.

Above these posts are the mp3 results of my queries.Hope u have a chance 2 check it out!

Thanx muchly......................Bedhead

http://www.abelton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6850

radder

your post URL

Post by radder » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:27 pm

I guess you meant to type http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6850

(you originally typed "abelton.com")

bedhead

Damn!

Post by bedhead » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:11 am

Well i stand(sit)corrected!

Thanx radder.........bedhead