Absolute NERDIEST, GEEKIEST use of Ableton Live. EVER.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kabuki

Re: As another DnD geek...

Post by kabuki » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:22 pm

montrealbreaks wrote:If the encounter is starting off far away and the party's outdoors, i could maybe throw a gently sloping Low Pass Filter on it (around 1000 Hz? I'll experiment), and can increase the volume / cuttoff as the party gets closer. Will work for lots of things too - maching troops, badguy encampments, etc.

If the party's in a dungeon, I could throw some light reverb n' delay on the sounds, and adjust the feedback of the delay or room size in accordance with the size and composition of the dungeon room they're in...

If I use clip envelopes, I can automate these processes - when the PCs are in the throne room, launch clip X. When they're in the crypt, launch clip Y. Control over the music should probably be dependant on the action, not the location of the characters. If I work this effeciently, I could probably get away with less than 4 or 6 channels.

Heh - this is gonna be more fun than I thought!
Dude, you have must have an INT of 18! Genious. I bet you could set up one track with basic soundscapes or music; Another for Battles, bartering and rogue-ish acivitied to add to the soundscapes; Another track for Enemy/Ambient SFX, and another for PC SFX... run it all through one or two send channels to effect reverb, filters and such.

Damn. That sounds fun. Two hobbies at once.

OOOOH! and Bard song and Spell evocation SFX - stuff the vidoe games DON'T do!!!

I think you rolled a "20" with thius idea! I might have to try it myself... If I can get my group to agree on a date.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:29 pm

BTW, I have a BUNCH of Kung Fu body shots, cracks, punches and the like. Would be GREAT for a monk PC. Holler and I can send you a Zip of the good bits...
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:49 am

Mammalux wrote:I have a laptop built into the headboard of my bed and can use Live to provide a seamless musical backdrop and mood to my lovemaking. Thievery Corporation segues seamlessly into the old K & D and Tosca balling grooves before picking it up a little with some speed gabba and then getting good down and dirty with 50 Cent. Where appropriate I can fire off little snippets of vocal exclamation (sighs, snorts and the odd "Oh My God"etc) together with the odd flesh puckering sound lifted from off a Limewire download. All this is totally handsfree, sporting as I do a quadraplegic's headbrace and rubber tipped pointer with which to massage the keyboard and banks of Faderfoxes positoned cunningly though precariously on candle stands around my boudoir. I don't know if this tops the D & D stuff but it sure as hell must give it a good run for it's money........shame I'm still doing it on my own though.

Peace
BRILLIANT!

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:04 am

kabuki wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:Wasn't there a big scafre in the 80's about kids committing suicide based on how their characters turned in D&D - wow
Yeah, all based around a few dumb kids that took it WAY too seriously. My mom gave me a pamphlet around that time about suicide and the dangers of Satanic cults :P
For a good laugh (at least I think it's funny) check out my esteemed ideological opponent, the fundamentalist cartoonist Jack Chick.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0099/0099_01.asp

M. Bréqs

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:09 am

MarkH wrote:I wouldn't say this is the nerdiest, geekiest use of Live. I think it's one of the most original uses I've ever heard. The thought process is similar to the way a composer approaches a film score, always feeling out the mood and then making music to convey emotion for that moment.
Good observation Mark.

In fact, now that I think of it, it's not such an original idea after all... I seem to remember that one person on the boards was using Ableton Live as it was particularly useful for improvisational theatre. While film scoring can be done in a rigid time scale (the film progresses along a predetermined path) I think he/she was using something similar to my planned methodology for improv. You probably just have to have your scenes and clips ready to rock for various moods or themes that the actors will likely hit.

Maybe an idea for Ableton's marketing dept to check out! RPG types and improv actors!

M. Bréqs

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:32 am

This thread is truly SAD in a funny and oddly perverse kinda way :D ...
Laptops
Dungeons and Dragons
Live 4.0

- and not a single chick posting on this thread or in site on the forum

Come on you've gotta laugh at the irony . I know I am :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:07 pm

To prove how out of touch Chick is, girls don't play D&D, let alone PRETTY girls, let alone TWO pretty girls in the same group, let alone a PRETTY Dungeon MASTER!

He OBVIOUSLY has NO CLUE about how it really works. Either that, or he can't draw fat geeks :P

Damn, that is FUNNY! It looks like it was drawn in 1973... It probably was.

Come to think of it, though. I MIGHT have been brain washed. It's a BIT foggy, but I can remember wearing a dress, and an earthy woman wearing pa-chew-lee oil and a sun dress wagging a bone over me and inducting me into the cult of Dice Demons! No wonder I thought that Marlon Wayans was such a good choice for the DnD movie. :P

Whee! I 'm a Cavalier with a Magic Shield! Fear Me!

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:12 pm

session view as dice roller:

1) set up n+1 audio clips, n being the amount of sides on a die.

2) each audio clip would say a number, 1 through n, and clip n+1 would say "rolling n sided die".

3) put the n+1 audio clips in an audio track in Session View.

4) set the follow action for clip n+1 to random, and trigger it.

i am so sorry for that,
rs

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:14 pm

NICE

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:14 pm

...bump.

Cause I'm still a f'in geek and unrepentant.

supster

Post by supster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:23 pm

NOTE:

Is anyone else getting a login box when they access this thread. Looks like a standard PHP login popup form

"enter username and password for http://fsklog.typad.com

It is only coming up on the first page of the thread. Reproducable.

:?:
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:25 pm

LOL, D&D, that brings back memories. Yes, I get that pop up too, must be someone's sig

tokyojoe69

Post by tokyojoe69 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:27 pm

yes I got the login box. thank goodness it wasn't just me, I thought some horrible key input reading thingy had come and nesttled its dirty little ass in my pc. phew. strange though. i just ignored it. and that's a 2 year bump you just did there M. Breqs, nice one!

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:39 pm

Program some MIDI clips, translate them to something the D&D client understands and have Live play D&D on it's own.

Touche!

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

sgx

Post by sgx » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:24 am

Nerdy: I'm working on an als where I hook my Nintendo DS into my soundcard and jam the music game Elektroplankton, record loops, glitch it up, layer stuff in Live.