Richie took a bit to much ketamine I think :)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:38 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:
capta1nA wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Name one succesful artist who didn't get fucked up at some point.
Frank Zappa
Gene Simmons
Henry Rollins

Angus Young, (oddly enough)

Fugazi

The list of artists that went through a short period of drug/alcohol abuse and stopped, quit entirely etc. is MUCH larger. That excessive drug use helps your art is one of those myths that keeps a lot of people who should succeed, from succeeding IMO.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:21 am

Machinesworking wrote:
DeadlyKungFu wrote:
capta1nA wrote: Frank Zappa
Gene Simmons
Henry Rollins

Angus Young, (oddly enough)

Fugazi

The list of artists that went through a short period of drug/alcohol abuse and stopped, quit entirely etc. is MUCH larger. That excessive drug use helps your art is one of those myths that keeps a lot of people who should succeed, from succeeding IMO.
blaming your laziness on your drug of choice is the real culprit here.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:27 am

do drugs or don't.

who cares?

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:35 am

FWIW My post is in no way an endorsement of sobriety in any way shape or form, ever.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:36 am

hoffman2k wrote:Thats the toll of succes....
Name one succesful artist who didn't get fucked up at some point.
Lawrence Welk?

Marie Osmond ... no, wait ... umm...

Tough one.

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:01 am

you know hawtin is a good dj, decks efx and 909 is one of my fav cds. The part where Jeff Millls Call of the Wild gets mixed in get's me everytime.

That being said, seeing all of these youtube videos of him makes me think he is a bit of a weirdo. Not that matters to what I hear, but still.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:05 am

and you have a problem with weirdos?

<insert mooncaine's sig pic>

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:15 am

well flamboyant weirdos.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:17 pm

Yeah, if my opinion of him was based on the video...hmmmmmm :?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:34 pm

I have tons of respect for those that are strong enough to get a buzz from life without the need for chemical use/abuse. Music, a blast on my bike down a forest trail, and sex do it for me! :D (Not necessarily in that order...)

But as long as we confuse popularity and monetary gain with success, both good and bad popular artists will continue to be role models.

Hardtoe

Post by Hardtoe » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:44 pm

Are you guys a bunch of prudes???? It's not a big deal, it's called "partying". I'm not a fan of K (if that's what he's on), but these guys are adults and can do what they like. Ritchie Hawtin doesn't need the straight edge police judging him - if its not for you don't do it, but a lot of the dance music scene is based in - you guessed it - drugs and music together (don't forget "sheet one"). It is really fun to ride the high train when involved in an extended event - and it allows a lot of people lose their inhibitions and get on with dancing - do you think that dance culture would have made such mainstream inroads without E and alcohol??? Don't write off drugs - humans have used them for a loooonnnnnggggg time and will continue to do so. - Drugs are responsible for helping evolve conciousness and society, because they help people think outside the box - If one sometimes gets a little to "fucked" that is just part of the game......
Can you hear it?

minimal

Post by minimal » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:52 pm

Hardtoe wrote:Drugs are responsible for helping evolve conciousness and society, because they help people think outside the box - If one sometimes gets a little to "fucked" that is just part of the game......
so you are telling us that someone who is no longer able to stand on his feets is evolving conciousness?
I think you can evolve with drugs, yes, but it's easy to degenerate and then it's more an involution than an evolution, in my honest and humble opinion.

Spikee

Post by Spikee » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:54 pm

minimal wrote:what's the sense of getting so much wasted....
I mean too much is too much, I'm slowly losing respect for this artists.
We pay big money to see them and sometimes they are just too wasted to make a mix properly, like villalobos and luciano one time here in zurich, I had to leave the club because the two were fighting beetween them to make the next mix, and too wasted to do a good one.

Am I getting too old?
I'm with ya man, it's not about getting old, it's about getting wise.

Hardtoe

Post by Hardtoe » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:02 pm

I am saying that Ritchie has used drugs to evolve his conciousness and this time he obviously got too fucked up.....but these things happen when you're partying - have you never had a bad hangover or thrown up??? This does not mean that the guy is a loser, just that he rode the horse too far - I just don't like the self-righteous, wise straight guy, holier than thou feel of these anti drug posts - drugs go both ways just like everything else - good and bad.....oh ya, and cut the guy some slack all you "respect losers". How would you like your every action to be judged on a fucking internet forum.....
Last edited by Hardtoe on Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can you hear it?

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:02 pm

the_planet wrote:I was expecting him to fall on the mixer, Keoki style. Instead, he just sort of slowly descends to the floor, like there was an elevator behind the mixer. Hahahaha!
I noticed this... now, what are the odds that a World Top Class electronic musician, regardless of the involvement of intoxicants or not, would collapse straight down, exactly into his own footprint??!!??.

Notice that, to his right shortly thereafter, another person collapses, straight down, in a similar manner.

There are dark forces at work, here.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.