nord modular as controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rivas3

nord modular as controller

Post by rivas3 » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:27 pm

hello, i was wondering if anyone has had any experience using a nord modular as a midi controller for live. i have searched all around on this forum and found much useful information on midi controllers. but instead of buing something cheap, i would like to use my nord mod since i already own it. i currently do not own live but am excited to own it in the in the future.
Do you have to program a patch using the software? If so, what modules would you use? Could you trigger a clip from a knob, or only from the keys? Any info, help, and experiences would be great.
Thank you all very much.

Ableton, this forum is awsome, its makes the internet great, and to the users, thank you, you all seem very professional and im happy to be apart of this group.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:13 pm

Yes, you could trigger a clip from a knob. I believe that as soon as the knob passes 63 or hits 127 (depending on the mode) it is translated as an "on" by Live.

Live couldn't be easier to use with a Nord. You hit a button called "midi" in the corner of the screen. Then you highlight the parameter you want to control on your screen, then you wiggle a knob or push a button. Hit "midi" again to shut off the learn mode, and boom - you have control over that parameter with that knob. Channel, CC number, and all that is learned and saved with the live set.

It's even easier than Reason, which has excellent midi learning functions.

L8er
Montrealbreaks

rivas3

Post by rivas3 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:30 pm

thanks montrealbreaks. concerning the modular software, do you know which modules you would have to use in order to enable the knob? are there any patches that need to be connected?
big up
rivas3

maarthel

Post by maarthel » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:36 am

I made a special controller patch on the Nord; a few mixer modules, enough for all the knobs on the modular and ready!

Greetz, Maarten

pixelmechanic

Post by pixelmechanic » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:30 am

Hi Rivas3,

I use "constant" modules to send out controller information from the knobs of my modular to live, reason etc

As well as putting it into use as a controller I use my nord as an integral part of my live setup, if you've got a couple of spare outs, it's great to route tracks thru your nord as a hardware filter / mangler, and of course people can see you actually doing something!

Don't forget to assign a knob to Live's crossfader!
pixelmechanic - sound vs. vision - appropriation vs. improvisation

www.pixelmechanics.com/sonic

rivas3

Post by rivas3 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:22 pm

thanks pixelmechanic, i had already thought about using some spare outs to mangle my sounds with some of my effects. also, thanks for the crossfader suggestion.
big up
rivas3