newbie-envelope question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
asopaque

newbie-envelope question

Post by asopaque » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:17 am

greetings live'sters

brand new to live3 and digging it, but i have an issue with the envelopes and can't quite figure it out, and can't find an answer in the manual.

if i make an envelope, say of EQ4, and set the envelope for just an device on/off setting, so it's ON for the first 2 bars, then OFF for the last 2. Everything works cool. And I also know that I can DELETE that automation. But 'sometimes' (I can't really figure out when it happens consistently), when I delete the automation, the RED 'envelope' line turns a purple/brown color, and it doesn't seem to work anymore. It allows me to draw the envelope and manipulate it, but it no longer effects the parameter it is supposed to.

what's going on here? How can i 're-engage' an envelope after this has happened? I'm sure i'll figure out a better work around, but it's frustrating to delete a bunch of automation (if I don't want to go in and double click all the points out to bring it back to the starting point...much easier to just delete out the whole automation) and then not be able to do any new automation.

can anybody offer any help? thanks in advance!

best regards,

rich

guestware

Re: newbie-envelope question

Post by guestware » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:30 am

brand new to live3 and digging it, but i have an issue with the envelopes and can't quite figure it out, and can't find an answer in the manual.

if i make an envelope, say of EQ4, and set the envelope for just an device on/off setting, so it's ON for the first 2 bars, then OFF for the last 2. Everything works cool. And I also know that I can DELETE that automation. But 'sometimes' (I can't really figure out when it happens consistently), when I delete the automation, the RED 'envelope' line turns a purple/brown color, and it doesn't seem to work anymore. It allows me to draw the envelope and manipulate it, but it no longer effects the parameter it is supposed to.
Hi newbie,

I had the same problem when I was as newbie as you.
when you draw the on/off automation of EQ4 for effect on/off the automation line is red, and it stays red until you touch with the mouse the on/off switch. :!:
As soon as you touch the automated parameter the automation freezes.
Now, you can close your session and re-open, and if you have saved the automation it will be back as you originally did it.
I shed lot of tears wiht this matter, I was always losing the mixer volume automations! :( :(
Now I do like this: e.g. if I do an automation on the mixer volume and then I feel the main volume is too high I don't touch the mixer fader anymore but I lower the volume dragging the red line of the automation.

Thats'it!

borg

Post by borg » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:11 pm

at the top of your screen, next to the transport bar, you'll see a big red 'button'... click it and all should be fine :smile:
then watch the info window or look in your manual what this red square does :wink:

guestware

Post by guestware » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:38 pm

borg wrote:at the top of your screen, next to the transport bar, you'll see a big red 'button'... click it and all should be fine :smile:
then watch the info window or look in your manual what this red square does :wink:
Hi Borg,

now it's me in need of help: in fact I haven't figured out what and how this red button acts.
I see that when I mute tracks it becomes coloured, but if I click on it to leave the red out the tracks doesn't unmute.
I haven't investigate on it deeply yet.
thanks!

asopaque

Post by asopaque » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:53 pm

thanks gents,

yeah, i've gotten used to not touching the knobs of parameters that are controlled by automation, but altering the automation envelope instead.

however the 'back to arrangement' button did the trick. thanks!

i was looking in the manual for information about 'envelopes' and hoping there would be some mention of color change of the envelope. no such luck.

thanks for the 'back to arrangement' button tip...that's it!

best regards,

rich