mac mhz in pc terms? benchmarks?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bi-platform-curious

mac mhz in pc terms? benchmarks?

Post by bi-platform-curious » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:39 pm

hi

in all the mac vs pc debates we've had to endure no one seems to have gotten down to the nitty gritty of what equates to what and i'm trying to decide whether to sell my pc laptop and get a power book as my desktop PC can do what the laptop does and I want a mac, but i'm not sure if i can handle to lose the performance - without opening any wounds does anyone have any pointers? Or even websites where I can see benchmarks for audio stuff

cheers

gaspode

Realize...

Post by gaspode » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:12 pm

that any benchmarks you find are relative. It all depends on what type of application you are running, if it is optimized for the platform etc... etc...

If you want the most beans for the buck (for varying amounts and definitions of beans), stick with your pc, if you want a cozy and warm user experience and with apple. Of course it sounds like you are comfortable living in both worlds, so who cares if the apple isn't a 100% top performer for everything, you've still got your pc.

I've had friends tell me though that you should just consider the Applecare service to be part of your purchase as... if you have it they treat you like gold... if you don't then you are the lowliest of low and aren't given half a thought when you are trying to get an issue solved.

proteron

Post by proteron » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:18 am

I'm using a windows notebook (2.8ghz G4, 1gb ram, 60gb 7200rpm HD) right next to an older Powerbook (G4 800Mhz, 1gb ram, 60gb hd)... the raw power award (Especially in non-optimized programs like reaktor and *cough* live *cough*) goes to the PC, but there are some other nifty tricks that the Mac does (like host Numerology)...

I'm using these and a UC33 controller along with a virus indigo2. it's quite fun. looking to get rid of my mixing console though and replace it with a motu 828mk2.

and also replace, in the same moment, my m-audio quattro.. DON'T START DOWN THAT ROAD!.
--
chris (proteron)