Live Retail vs. Live Pirated (The Difference)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:15 am

If I'd wanted to use a crack of Live before reading this thread I might have downloaded one of the "poor quality" ones.

Thanks to this thread I now know which crack providers produce "quality" products that won't crap out on me.

Thanks for that.

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:18 am

FaX-01 wrote:I don't wish to be the proverbial forum ASSHAT but ......
If you used cracked software etc that's your business.
I do however find it offensive that people should discuss the cracked version of product X in product X's own company official user supported forum.
Personally I just find it to be in plain bad taste and generally disrepsectful to those that code and create the said product for us.
If it's "out there" it's "out there" and there isn't really much one can do about it.
That said our legal purchase and use of said products helps fund further user enhancements and product development.
Personally I don't appreciate threads of this nature in the Abe's user forum.
A little bit of respect generally goes a long way.
I am far from financially cashed up and have zero intention of using a cracked version no matter how readily available it may or may not be.
I'd love to be using Live 6 now but for the moment that isn't a financial viability.
So I'll keep plugging along with Version5 until I can afford version 6 (well actually Live6 + Sampler + Operator to be exact).
Atleast I know my money will be going to a great bunch of people who generally and genuinely listen to the needs of it's end users.
I also know that purchase will help fund future development of the product for ALL USERS to benefit from.
Threads like this are just plain counterproductive to the longevity and product cycle of the company on many levels.
So perhaps people would like to think first before they post.
Is this thread really needed and is it really warranted in context of a new Live release in the general user forum ?
Firstly - I am in agreement with you that it is mostly in bad taste especially being that it is in the company's own forum

Secondly - I strongly disagree with you in that I believe:

a) most people that use cracked software probably don't use it commercially (for profit) and thus do not hurt Ableton.

and

b) Ableton Live is an INCREDIBLE piece of software, and using it under any context (legit or cracked) actually benefits the company because it's free advertising.

This is not short-sighted. The majority of users that use Live cracked don't make any money using Live, and thus it's senseless for them to pay for it. A percentage of those users will however pay for Live eventually because it's uncredible, and they get the benefit of updates and cool stickers. Also the cracked version gets Live into many more people's hands to try it out.

- Again I agree with you that it's kind of in bad taste, but only in principal. Logic tells me (no not eMagic / Apple) that cracks actually benefit high-end software companies. I do however think that it cripples companies that don't continue to innovate and upgrade their products.
Apple Macbook 1.83 + 2GB RAM | Live 7 Demo

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:21 am

+ anyway: I paid for the fucking thing and I can say whatever the hell I want. Good taste or not.

> that was in bad taste. :wink:

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:24 am

psilopsyche wrote:+ anyway: I paid for the fucking thing and I can say whatever the hell I want. Good taste or not.

> that was in bad taste. :wink:
Yes that was in bad taste.
Each to their own.
You're as much entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.
That said I paid for the fucking thing and find this thread counter productive.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:27 am

psilopsyche wrote:
FaX-01 wrote:I don't wish to be the proverbial forum ASSHAT but ......
If you used cracked software etc that's your business.
I do however find it offensive that people should discuss the cracked version of product X in product X's own company official user supported forum.
Personally I just find it to be in plain bad taste and generally disrepsectful to those that code and create the said product for us.
If it's "out there" it's "out there" and there isn't really much one can do about it.
That said our legal purchase and use of said products helps fund further user enhancements and product development.
Personally I don't appreciate threads of this nature in the Abe's user forum.
A little bit of respect generally goes a long way.
I am far from financially cashed up and have zero intention of using a cracked version no matter how readily available it may or may not be.
I'd love to be using Live 6 now but for the moment that isn't a financial viability.
So I'll keep plugging along with Version5 until I can afford version 6 (well actually Live6 + Sampler + Operator to be exact).
Atleast I know my money will be going to a great bunch of people who generally and genuinely listen to the needs of it's end users.
I also know that purchase will help fund future development of the product for ALL USERS to benefit from.
Threads like this are just plain counterproductive to the longevity and product cycle of the company on many levels.
So perhaps people would like to think first before they post.
Is this thread really needed and is it really warranted in context of a new Live release in the general user forum ?
there is a big difference from say the user sadmac that runs around saying "yes I use a crack and you should to" and what i am doing. I don't use a crack anymore. ableton has their money and all is well. I even told them once via email that I used a crack at one point but decided they truely deserved the money.

I definetly agree that talking about cracks on the company forum is a bit iffy, but that is why I continuously through the whole conversation remind the reader that I do own my copy of ableton. if you read through I think I said it like 4 or 5 times.

but at the same time, maybe you have a point...
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:28 am

Agreed.

As long as you realize I have in my possession a Live 6 boxed set which only runs in demo mode I believe that we understand one another.

This thread should be locked.

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:30 am

***** THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN CLOSED *****

Summer2000

Post by Summer2000 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:48 am

psilopsyche wrote:***** THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN CLOSED *****
You sure about that? I beg to differ. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Summer2k
IBM Thinkpad 1.6ghz 1gb RAM 40gb HD XP Pro
Live 6.07
Reason 3.04

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:04 am

psilopsyche wrote:
a) most people that use cracked software probably don't use it commercially (for profit) and thus do not hurt Ableton.
uhh...

this is about the most stupid thing i've heard in a while

although it's interesting to think that since i don't use my computer "for profit" that it should be free, along with all the software i'd care to have.... sweet!

forge

Post by forge » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:05 am

this is something you'd think as musicians we'd all be a bit more hip to

fact is, piracy happens - and it happened to music well before software existed

in fact how many of you thoughtlessly say "oh yeah I'll do you a copy of that CD" when a friend says they like it - even if onto tape? probably all of you

and the thing is, most of us have probably owned crappy copies of our music then got the arse and decided to buy the real deal on CD - course it's all changing a bit with the internet - but I think there's still plenty of people buying music

Anyone making music software goes into it knowing the risks, and mybe on one hand it drives them to make the program so damn good people WANT to give them money for it - and Johnisfaster gave a perfect example of that by saying how he told them in the email

Fax etc - it's really great that you feel like that, but it's the real world and there's no point being so down on these people - who are actually potential customers.

I suspect Ableton are probably ecstatic that so many people are appreciating their product, and I think they would know somebody who actually uses it and gets hooked on it is probably the most likely type of person to actually buy it.

Anyone who is serious will buy the tools of their trade - it's just too annoying to keep using cracks, and the support etc is an important part of using a tool professionally, and anyone who is not serious probably wont buy it so they wont lose any potential income from them

njh

Post by njh » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:13 am

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:49 am

longjohns wrote: uhh...

although it's interesting to think that since i don't use my computer "for profit" that it should be free, along with all the software i'd care to have.... sweet!
Aww... you done gone and hurt my feelers. :lol:

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:52 am

:cry:

the last one

Post by the last one » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:33 am

longjohns wrote:
psilopsyche wrote:
uhh...

Yep, probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I steal cars, but I just joyride. I don't resell. Thus I am committing no crime.

I'd fully support Ableton and other firms distributing fake cracks that maliciously shred the internals of the crack-users machine. There is no excuse for using a crack. If you can't afford it, then tough shit.

Go get a job like everyone else. (eg a job like the developers at Ableton have, who you are stealing from)

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:20 am

Wow, I wish I could see things in black and white like you, I presume it makes life a whole lot easier! :wink: :lol: