Live Retail vs. Live Pirated (The Difference)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:21 am

I used the crack for around a month and with it I learned Live and got really hooked up. Then, when Live crashed when doing two continuous undos and I saw the "autosave" feature in action, I said "fuck this, I'm buying it"

Later, I talked a friend into trying it. Told him the demo was just the same but without the ability to save. He thought it was easier to get a cracked full working Live. After 2 months, it stopped working on him and almost immediately he bought it.

Right now I have another friend using the cracked version who says it's flawless and it's just the same and such. I'm sitting here waiting patiently for it to crap out on him.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

LiveXXX

Post by LiveXXX » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:29 am

What kind of person are you?

Just look at Russia today. Would you like to live in a corrupt society.

You should do the right thing because it helps yourself in the long run.
- Oliver Chesler

alvarog

Post by alvarog » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:42 pm

Hi all,

Like someone said before, I find very obscene to put out with Live's pirated stuff on Abletons own board... its the height of shamelessness

Regards

Alvaro

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:04 pm

LiveXXX wrote: Just look at Russia today. Would you like to live in a corrupt society.
Like most other socities!

frankie123

Post by frankie123 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:47 pm

psilopsyche wrote:
FaX-01 wrote:
This is not short-sighted. The majority of users that use Live cracked don't make any money using Live, and thus it's senseless for them to pay for it.

Your thought process is crooked. Ableton live is one of the most bang for your buck audio softwares ever produced. Its incredibly cheap for what it is, and you're arguing that unless you make money off of it, you shouldn't pay for it? Thats like saying I should lease a car but not pay for it since its not getting me laid.

Essentially you're saying the software should be by default producing results for its customer, or else the customer will illegally use it. Thats just fucked up thinking.
dual g5 2.3 ghz 2500 megs of ram

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:55 pm

You know, you don't have to use cracked software to try a program.. there are things called demos you know (the Ableton one is great, has everything but save of course).

d-plate

Post by d-plate » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:39 pm

Crackers will always be one step ahead.

It's up to one's conscience to buy the software.

'Been told once again Ableton was owned, this time by team Air...

frankie123

Post by frankie123 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:46 pm

d-plate wrote:Crackers will always be one step ahead.

Ahead of what you fAcking poser? :lol:
dual g5 2.3 ghz 2500 megs of ram

d-plate

Post by d-plate » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:50 pm

"Ahead" of software companies, unfortunately. Then we get to the extremes of Steinberg that mine Cubase with copy protection schemes that affect performance of software (!!!), only to find that 1 or 2 months later, it's been cracked.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:17 pm

forge wrote: ... in fact how many of you thoughtlessly say "oh yeah I'll do you a copy of that CD" when a friend says they like it - even if onto tape? probably all of you

and the thing is, most of us have probably owned crappy copies of our music then got the arse and decided to buy the real deal on CD - course it's all changing a bit with the internet - but I think there's still plenty of people buying music ...
I like this post the best, Forge gets the points from me. Even if he does use terminolgy from the last century. Mp3 you old git!

Anyway, after that post, all the rest remind me of the old "let he who is without sin throw the first stone", some bloke said that.

I have certainly done copies of music for firends to try and turn them on to particular artists.
And, as there a billions of DJs here, I bet loads of them/you pass the time mainly mixing one record into another then giving it away - like it was yours to give.

So surely brothers and sisters, none of us are without sin ... hmmm?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:33 pm

now, im not sure if its like this in the rest of the world, but technically (hwere in sweden), if an artist has paid to stim (which is a copyright thingy for musicians; you get paid when people play your music etc), and you want too play his stuff, you have to pay stim. either you, the dj, or the club thats hosting you.

in any way: how often do you think this happens?
forge is spot on, and as i said in the other piracy thread: the subject goes way beyond software piracy.

some people here has some very good points, i know tons of people who goot hooked on different kind of software using cracked ones at first. also someone said that its free advertising, and that is also true. piracy is real, and its here to stay, either you embrace it and make it to your advantage, or you go live in a hole.

hell some software companies even releases their own cracked software so people should get hooked.

again: im not saying that its right, im just here for the discussion.

- fk.

onyxashanti

Post by onyxashanti » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:11 pm

everyone needes to get off their high horses.

back in the day, i used cracked everything, then i realized the psychological ramifications of it; if you dont have goals, whether figurative or financial or careerwise, you never grow. its like welfare; you get conditioned to free shit. and the second part is that you dont make the informed decisions that you would when spending your hard earned money, which results in having 500 plugins and a half dozen hosts on your hard drive. but i didnt just wake up and feel holier than thou about it. it was after a long time and realizing that certain software had become very important to my sound. now, i not only own my software[fruityloops, LIVE, and minimonsta], but i am a full fledged evangelist for the stuff i love and use.

onyx

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:24 pm

Accepting welfare payments is like using a crack?

In the same post as everyone needing to get of their high horses?

Pot.Kettle.Black.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:34 pm

why are people throwing around this "you all have copied CD's" argument??

the point is not to tell people that they shouldn't steal things,

it's that they shouldn't keep trying to convince other people that it's OK

i've stolen things

i've rationalized it to myself, at least in some cases

but i don't try to convince people that it's a good thing or that it doesn't hurt anyone.

psilopsyche

Post by psilopsyche » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:26 pm

DOUCHEBAG ALERT: I BOUGHT Ableton Live. Get a life.
Apple Macbook 1.83 + 2GB RAM | Live 7 Demo