Ableton should censor posts about piracy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Remove Crack-related posts?

Yes, it is irritating to have to see them
35%
No, I learn a lot from the profound wisdom of the crack users who proudly justify stealing from Ableton and legitmate users
65%

Total votes: 96

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:20 am

They shouldn't need too.
People SHOULD BE respectful and mindful enough TOO NOT post such threads in a company forum in the first place.
Personally I feel the restraint should come from forum users themselves.
Or is that level of self discipline to much to ask for ?
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

dataspore

Post by dataspore » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:47 am

FaX-01 wrote: Personally I feel the restraint should come from forum users themselves.

i hear that's an integral
part of Web 2.0

:D

dm_hawk

Re: Ableton should censor posts about piracy

Post by dm_hawk » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:03 am

the last one wrote: Ableton, please censor these threads.
I really don't like that kind of talk... :?
..... . . . . . . . . .

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:46 am

psilopsyche wrote:Anybody who even says the word crack should be banned.
This is utterly ridiculous. How am I supposed to say stuff like, "Man I wrote the best song last night while I was on crack!" or "Henke and I were strolling thru Berlin looking for some crack whores, when we suddenly had the best idea for this Operator preset..."

Come on, man...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:49 am

dataspore wrote:
FaX-01 wrote: Personally I feel the restraint should come from forum users themselves.
part of Web 2.0
Actually, it's build into Vista. If you use the word crack in any IM client, email, web search, torrent network, and or IRC channel, the screen will suddenly start using subliminal coding that eventually stimulates your nervous system and send a jolt of body-producing electricity directly to your testicles. (For the 3 women on this forum, it would go to your nipples.) Hence the requirements for higher end 3D graphics cards, and the insane memory/hard drive requirements.

franknputer

Post by franknputer » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:04 am

If you think that's bad, don't type in the word "Linux" :lol:

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:17 am

Or "Orwellian"

forge

Post by forge » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:24 am

nebulae wrote:
psilopsyche wrote:Anybody who even says the word crack should be banned.
This is utterly ridiculous. How am I supposed to say stuff like, "Man I wrote the best song last night while I was on crack!" or "Henke and I were strolling thru Berlin looking for some crack whores, when we suddenly had the best idea for this Operator preset..."

Come on, man...
:lol: :lol:

dataspore

Post by dataspore » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:27 am

nebulae wrote:
dataspore wrote:
part of Web 2.0
Actually, it's build into Vista. If you use the word crack in any IM client, email, web search, torrent network, and or IRC channel, the screen will suddenly start using subliminal coding that eventually stimulates your nervous system and send a jolt of body-producing electricity directly to your testicles. (For the 3 women on this forum, it would go to your nipples.) Hence the requirements for higher end 3D graphics cards, and the insane memory/hard drive requirements.
:lol:

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:20 am

FaX-01 wrote:They shouldn't need too.
Personally I feel the restraint should come from forum users themselves.
i think this happens anyway, the moment someone says "well im using a cracked copy" all other forum users become reluctant to help that person.

they get answers to their questions like "Buy it and then RTFM"

or whatever thread they started suddenly turns into one like this about how they are theives stealing from ableton.

"I didnt buy my copy just to help theives like you" etc etc.

the last one

Post by the last one » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:01 am

psilopsyche wrote:You all went head over heels because of the last one's topic, but you've failed to read the discussion which he's referring to, which I WROTE. Please show me where in this discussion I condoned the use of a crack, and illustrate to me how the last one knows what the hell he's talking about.
While your discussion is a good example, I was referring to all such threads that raise the profile of using cracks. I never said condone.

Anyway, as the poll shows, and many of the more belligerent posters on this thread, people are happy to see discussion of the pros and cons of ripping off Ableton on their own homepage. I'll just live with that, no big deal.

If I could filter the forum so I didn't have to see crack-related threads I would. Instead I'll just ignore the pricks who like to discuss it and raise the profile of cracks.

forgie

Post by forgie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:21 am

So the conclusion is..... don't question anything and take our current intellectual property laws for granted?

Well you can think like that, but I'll think with my brain switched on, and not consider things in terms of black and white simplifications.

I'm not condoning cracked copies of Ableton. I actually had a cracked copy of Ableton for about 6 months a few years back, and have now gone on to buy Live 5 and Operator, and will shortly be buying Live 6, EIC and possibly Sampler.

To be honest, "the last one", you sound like a conservative politician saying that we shouldn't have drug education (or harm minimisation) because that promotes drug usage. Ahem. Well anyone with even a pea-size brain can see that that philosophy

a) is just fundamentally ignorant in theory
and
b) doesn't work in practice

I know it's not a perfect analogy, but the attitude is the same.

By the way "the last one", what is your attitude on paying for Microsoft software? Do you think it's ok to pirate software from a company who's major historical achievement is to monopolise and destroy competition in the OS market? Is it wrong to pirate any IP at all?

What if a drug company comes up with a drug that cures cancer, but then says they'll charge $10,000 per pill. Is it ok to try and steal their IP for how to make the drug? I guess not, since stealing is wrong.

All I'm saying is that there is no "black and white" line that makes all piracy bad. That's just ridiculous. It's a grey zone, and in many places it's very grey.

robin

Post by robin » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:32 am

the last one wrote:[
While your discussion is a good example, I was referring to all such threads that raise the profile of using cracks. I never said condone.
I think most of the the 'crack' threads also come to the conclusion that the crack will fail and the user will go on to buy a license.

A glorified demo (with some added stress as the crack fails), if you will.

the last one

Post by the last one » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:39 am

forgie wrote:So the conclusion is..... don't question anything and take our current intellectual property laws for granted?

Well you can think like that, but I'll think with my brain switched on, and not consider things in terms of black and white simplifications.

I'm not condoning cracked copies of Ableton. I actually had a cracked copy of Ableton for about 6 months a few years back, and have now gone on to buy Live 5 and Operator, and will shortly be buying Live 6, EIC and possibly Sampler.

To be honest, "the last one", you sound like a conservative politician saying that we shouldn't have drug education (or harm minimisation) because that promotes drug usage. Ahem. Well anyone with even a pea-size brain can see that that philosophy

a) is just fundamentally ignorant in theory
and
b) doesn't work in practice

I know it's not a perfect analogy, but the attitude is the same.

By the way "the last one", what is your attitude on paying for Microsoft software? Do you think it's ok to pirate software from a company who's major historical achievement is to monopolise and destroy competition in the OS market? Is it wrong to pirate any IP at all?

What if a drug company comes up with a drug that cures cancer, but then says they'll charge $10,000 per pill. Is it ok to try and steal their IP for how to make the drug? I guess not, since stealing is wrong.

All I'm saying is that there is no "black and white" line that makes all piracy bad. That's just ridiculous. It's a grey zone, and in many places it's very grey.
This isn't a great debate about freedom of speech, the ills of society or liberal vs conservative - it was meant to be a focused suggestion about ridding the forum of threads about crack copies of Ableton - nothing more. Obviously the pea-sozed brains you refer to cannot help themselves but think it an attack on their civil liberties, and whip it up into an hysterical opera of outlandish proportions.

I am now going to log into the BMW site to discuss whether it is better to buy their car or use the new illegal skeleton keys for sale in Eastern Europe that will allow me steal a car and drive around for a few hours.

After that I might visit my local newsagent and photocopy some magazines and then hand them out for free to any interested customers. Perhaps these readers will subsequently become subscribers. I'll be doing the publisher a favour, won't I.

the last one

Post by the last one » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:46 am

And Forgie, I do believe it is wrong to pirate any IP.

The vast majority of the arguments are about the IP of luxury items that people don't want to pay for. If they don't want to pay for it, why should the originator bother to make it.

In relation to a cure for cancer, apart from the charities, why would the big drug companies bother to invest their billions in research if they didn't think they'd get trillions in return?

I am not saying profiteering by curing diseases is morally right, but I am saying I am happy that somebody somewhere is incentivised (by the lure of potential profits) to invest in the research required to cure things. To suggest that people may actually step in and steal the IP if a cure is found threatens that research ever being done.

Opps. I am now also drifting into the larger debate that I was trying to avoid :p