Got My New Live6 But need help with Kontrol49

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SlimWicked

Got My New Live6 But need help with Kontrol49

Post by SlimWicked » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:27 pm

Hi Fellow Ableton users,

I was going to by Ableton early this summer but told myself I might as well just wait since version 6 is comming out soon. Currently im using Project 5 and Reason 3.0 but I hope to make Live my new workstation.

One of the main reasons i bought live is from watching the live6 promo videos. It sold me the 1st time i watched it. But also on the promo video it stated that popular control surfaces will automaticly be mapped without programming. So that even sold me more because I have been using my Korg Kontrol49 for almost a year now and I love it.

But the auto map feature in live6 is not working for me for some reason. i have read the manual back and forth about this but still not working. I also saw a couple of threads here about the kontrol49 and even downloaded a templete that someone made to see if that work but still nothing.

I know that Live is very powerful and going to make a GREAT workstation but i just need to get this kontrol49 working 1st.

Here is what my preferences/midi screen looks like. Is everything here correct?

Control Surface Set to: Kontrol49
Input is set to: Kontrol49 Port 1 B
Output is set to: Kontrol49 1 midi out B

And when i press a key on my keyboard and when I have a VST plugin in a midi track..no sound is played, no keeys move on my vst plugin, but I can see the light blink at the very top right of my screen when I press any key on my kontrol49. or and I missing somethign to actually get the VST plugin to use the controller?? so confused...

Can someone please help me on this? Please excuse me for not being too smart with live just yet. I only had it for 2 days now. lol

Please help..thanks guys

SlimWicked

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:35 pm

Set the Control Surfaces to the SAME text, looks like they're different. When you select a VST, click it to make the little hand appear on its title bar.

SlimWicked

Post by SlimWicked » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:50 pm

Hi Tone,

you mean this little hand like in this screenshot?

I have it selected but still no sound. I can hear sound when i click the keyboard with my mouse on the VST so that means the vst and audio card is working.

And the reason the control surface txt looks different is because they have different options if that makes sence.

Here are the options it gives me.

Input Options:
Kontrol49 1 Midi In
Kontrol491 Port A
Kontrol49 1 Port b

Output Options:
Kontrol49 1 Midi Out B
Kontrol49 1 CTRL

those are the options that I have when configuring the control surface. I think i have tried them all with no success. which settings do i need to use?

Thanks,

slim

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:56 pm

Nice feedback. :D

Yep, that's the hand.

Check that you have the correct Kontrol 49 OS update for Live 6. The files are in a directory in the Program Files/Ableton/<something>/control surfaces directory, poke around, it's pretty obvious. Then use a program like MIDI OX to send the update, or use the editing software for your K49.

noratronika

Post by noratronika » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:46 am

did you arm the track? [in][auto][out] under slider, in should be checked.
ImageDellXPS M1710-2.16GHz//Event 20/20's//A LIVE6//Cubase L3//Reason 3.04//NI Electro Instruments//Motu UL FW//M-Audio FW 18/14//KorgRadias//KorgKontrol49//M-Audio Axiom25/UC-33///KP3...

SlimWicked

Post by SlimWicked » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:32 pm

hmm..i can't seem to find this. where is this "arming" located again?

SlimWicked

Post by SlimWicked » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:38 pm

Oh..never mind..I just found it and now have it working. Here is a screenshot any others who will need this help in the future.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:30 pm

monitor settings don't affect automapping, there was something else you changed. monitor is for MIDI control, not automap control (although automap works along the midi protocol.)

I think... I don't have Live with me at work.

SlimWicked

Post by SlimWicked » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:54 pm

hmm..thats odd...because when monitor was set to auto..when i press the keys on my kontrol i couldn't hear anything but when i set moniter to in..bam it work. wonder why is that...

and when this is all said and done i think i may make a graphic tutorial on how to do this. when i get everything all working that is. hehehe

I guess my next question is..how do i "ARM" the midi track so that I can use it to play with my kontrol?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:21 pm

there are two things going on here, playing keys and automap. In your original post you mentioned problems with automap.

automap is set in the Control Surfaces menu
MIDI is set in the MIDI in/out boxes below the control surfaces boxes.

monitor routes the midi data, not the automap data.

monitor IN means external input as specified in the INPUT box above the track, monitor AUTO means the clip controls it.

milka

Post by milka » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:10 pm

I can't figure how to make the Pads on Korg Kontrol49 to work with impulse :(
i am using Live 5 with OSX Tiger.

anyone wiches to share the Kontrol49 template that works with Simpler?

thanks in advance -
milka
iBook G4 1Mhz/Korg Kontrol 49/Evolution U-Control/Evolution UC-33/Logic/Reason/Live/ http://www.shapko.com

SlimWicked

Post by SlimWicked » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:17 pm

Yes i feel you on this. I can't seem to get this to work eather. When i get home today though im gong to see if I can program this.

milka

Post by milka » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:37 pm

SlimWicked wrote:Yes i feel you on this. I can't seem to get this to work eather. When i get home today though im gong to see if I can program this.
iBook G4 1Mhz/Korg Kontrol 49/Evolution U-Control/Evolution UC-33/Logic/Reason/Live/ http://www.shapko.com

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:53 pm

Hey slim I liked your diagram with the arrow. you should consider writing to Ableton to see if you could write the next manual/
You should stick around you could be the diagram man. 8)
HA HA HA :twisted:

Tosh

Post by Tosh » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:19 pm

Anyone else having trouble with Automapping of Kontrol to Live 6.

Mine does not seem to be doing anything. Keys are all fine but none of the faders and rotary's are working.

Works like a charm in Reason.

Any help would be much appreciated.