Still no signs of sidechain compression in ableton6?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:54 pm

punkdISCO

Post by punkdISCO » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:35 pm

Nokatus wrote:http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1315.html

It's nice.
Yeah, it looks nice but what does it sound like? Any credible reviews been done on it from any reputable magazines/sources?

Hopefully give it a go over the weekend as sidechain compression is something that I have longed for in VSTs for a long time, and like everyone else, still find it incredible that it is still missing!!
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/Wot.mp3 - New annoying track, dedicated to DJs.
www.myspace.com/punkdisco - Zero content, more pictures

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:37 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:dude, shut the fuck up.

lots of people want external key input for live's dynamics.

its been posted in the wishlist forum a bazillion times.

they will give it to us eventually.

but, to say, "...it's such an integeral part of electronic music...", before shitting all over "fanboys" (who i've never heard say "we don't want external key inputs" is so fucking stupid. You can achieve the same effect in electronic music in about 1000 different ways. That's one of the beautiful things about electronic music. You can do all sorts of interesting things if you use your head and think outside of the box. Anyway, you don't even have to excersize your puny little brain, you can go download a plug with external key input and use it.

now quit your fucking whining and go post or bump an old post in the feature wishlist forum.

.lm.
Calm down, you don't want high blood presuure on account of me, do you?

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:57 pm

hey man, i'm not *really* sweatin it. I'm just posting from my gut. when a motherfucker posts some stupid shit i just respond. can't help it.

.lm.

punkdISCO

Post by punkdISCO » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:37 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:You can achieve the same effect in electronic music in about 1000 different ways. That's one of the beautiful things about electronic music. You can do all sorts of interesting things if you use your head and think outside of the box.
Sounds cool.. So, how do you acheive a 'side chain compression effect' without a physical side chain? Would be great to know.. When I want this effect I have resort to external hardware compressors so a 'work around; would be great..

ta
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk
http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/Wot.mp3 - New annoying track, dedicated to DJs.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:43 pm

OK, using the comp to make a bassline duck?

Use clip volume envelopes to do it. If you have a 2 bar long kick pattern, you only have to draw the envelope pattern one time and make it loop thruout the bassline clip. If it's longer, well, you might have to draw some more.

Or how about this: Doing four on the floor stuff with a bassline "pumping" under the kick? Program the bassline in operator, and use a looping envelope to control the parameters of your choice to achieve "pumpatude". Maybe an HP filter? that's even more interesting than just ducking the kick.

whatever. I understand that it's a lot easier with an external key input. I want ableton to include external key inputs on their dynamics effects. Matter a fact, if you dig for a thread about it in feature wishlist, i can guarantee you'll se my name on it. I just took offense to that cats attitude about it. Guess it's just because a bunch of little bitches like to throw around the term "fanboy" and generally complain about a bunch of bullshit.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:06 pm

sqook wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
this was written before dualcomp came into existance actually. unless I'm wrong about dates. that and I've tried dualcomp and it's got some terrible bugs that cause noise.
Yes it does, unfortunately. However, you will be pleased to know that these bugs have been fixed, and a new beta version will be out soon for your testing pleasure. :) We're having some issues with the AU port of DualComp (namely, the fact that it only works in mono at the moment), and once these issues are addressed, a 1.0 release will be right around the corner. I'll bump this thread when the next alpha goes online.
please do bump this when that time comes. I am interested in dualcomp but currently can't use it cause of the bugs it has. particularly the AU version.
_thanks
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

punkdISCO

Post by punkdISCO » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:32 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:Use clip volume envelopes to do it. If you have a 2 bar long kick pattern, you only have to draw the envelope pattern one time and make it loop thruout the bassline clip. If it's longer, well, you might have to draw some more….Maybe an HP filter? that's even more interesting than just ducking the kick.

Hmm. I thought you might mention variations on ‘riding the level faders’. Unfortunately, compression has come a long was since the days of fader riding. And the HPF thing is great, I actually use it all the time with my MS20 being triggered from drum machines, however, this only tackles frequencies an not dynamics let alone envelope curves and response times etc etc..

But like you say, there are lots of ways of making room in a mix for say, a bass drum. These are some but side chaining is still a very effective mechanism.
Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk

gort

Post by gort » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:24 pm

i tested out the dual comp VST plug today (runnin on mac intel in L6). i threw it on a drum track and ducked a synth track.

things i noticed:

1. i got the synth track to duck, but it created some noise in the track
2. i couldnt get the GUI to open up. had to use the controls within the parameter settings down in the effect box in live.
3. couldnt get the drum track to come back through. i had to duplicate the drum track and run it through the mains.

so, in the end, i was able to get the right sound, but it had some added noise to the synth track...

anyone else having better luck with the Dual Comp vst running on Mac Intel L6?
hi-q hits and handclaps not holywars and hand grenades

sqook

Post by sqook » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:29 pm

gort wrote:i tested out the dual comp VST plug today (runnin on mac intel in L6). i threw it on a drum track and ducked a synth track.

things i noticed:

1. i got the synth track to duck, but it created some noise in the track
2. i couldnt get the GUI to open up. had to use the controls within the parameter settings down in the effect box in live.
3. couldnt get the drum track to come back through. i had to duplicate the drum track and run it through the mains.

so, in the end, i was able to get the right sound, but it had some added noise to the synth track...

anyone else having better luck with the Dual Comp vst running on Mac Intel L6?
Hey guys,
I promise that a new beta is around the corner! :) In the meantime...

1. Yeah, this bug is fixed in the current development build
2. The GUI isn''t activated because nobody has done graphics for it yet. Any volunteers? :)
3. An older alpha piped the drum signal through, but people complained because the "correct" behavior of such a plugin should just take the drum signal as input rather than piping the signal through. This also allows for the potential to use specially "shaped" drum signals to provide more refined shaping. You should, however, duplicate your drum track, with one signal going to the master out and the other to the sidechain.

gort

Post by gort » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:39 pm

gotcha sqook

i was about to repost, saying i didnt read the website closely enough to see that a separate drum track is needed. makes sense....

ive messed with it a little bit and aside from the bit of noise, got it working pretty well.

if you want to email me i'll talk with you about building a GUI for ya. im a graphic designer by trade. (and not just because i have a hacked version of Photoslop) ;)

kree8_ (at) yahoo (dot) com
hi-q hits and handclaps not holywars and hand grenades

sqook

Post by sqook » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:48 pm

DualComp-1.0a3 is up. Please keep in mind that this is still alpha software, so your feedback is still very much appreciated. New features include:

* Much smoother sound overall; not as staticy or chunky unless under "extreme" conditions (namely, -40dB sidechaining, 0.25 release). The plugin was designed to be this way; it will sound best with moderate settings of all parameters
* GUI has been disabled until the graphics are complete
* Other performance enhancements and cleanups
* Still no AU version; sorry... it's coming soon. :)

Download links:
http://teragon.org/downloads/DualComp-v ... a3-mac.zip
http://teragon.org/downloads/DualComp-v ... a3-win.zip

Enjoy! Please post back in this thread, or email/pm me if you have other questions or concerns about this plugin.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:13 am

bmp
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

--m--

Post by --m-- » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:15 am

maybe someone can help with this... as i clearly have no idea how this dualcomp configuration is supposed to work.

this vsts appears(sounds) as though it does absolutely nothing to my audio.

i'm guessing i have it set up incorrectly though i've followed the screenshot posted on the website to a tee.
one thing though... in my output under the sidechain kick track, i can route it to my bassline track but where the screenshot has "3/4 dualcomp" under the route, mine is grayed out(with Track In displayed).

as an aside i don't see how this makes any logical sense to set up the vst on the kick drum track... isn't the bassline meant to be ducked in response to the kick? shouldn't the compressor(dualcomp vst) be placed on the bassline track awaiting the signal from the kick drum?
maybe that's just a matter of perspective but i don't see how that makes any sense.

thanks tho for any help!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:33 am

I do wonder why the Abe's don't add side-chaining to the native compressor (comp2) it seems that the bulk of the code is already there for the frequency based ducking - all they need is to add the second set of inputs and Live will already cope with the rest.

puzzled me for a long while that one.

Actually I think comp2 is a bit primitive for such a basic toolkit item (no curves or upward/downward, etc) While Eq8 is now pretty sexy and functional, but C2 isn't really up there in the same league. It works well of course, but it's more of a hammer than a scalpel
I guess theres a reasonable chance of C3 in L7.