JP8000 vs MS2000, let 'em duke it out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hungry ghost

JP8000 vs MS2000, let 'em duke it out

Post by hungry ghost » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:43 pm

Right, I have the option of buying either of these for roughly the same price. The MS2000 looks like a better option for vintage synth sounds and has a vocoder, while the JP8000 has some big fans, but doesn't appear to have a sine wave(?). Is it just a dance music synth?

So what do you think?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:53 pm

it does so have a sin wave are u nuts

i have had both

and i would say that i have extracted an amaing palette of sounds with the jp8000...

it (jp8000) is a VA and despiute the knobs an their results being same as a subtractive analogue, the way you tweak the sounds is a little bit different, theres these cool sweetspots all over the place where the algorithms come together in perfect synergy.

the ms2000 on the other hand is a very very solid bread and butter VA. good warm sounds. the vocoder is ok, but i think software would give u similar results, the sequencer is worth checking and people like the neptunes have that korg engine sound in heaps of their tunes so it is definately solid

personal opinion?

ive sold my korg, but i would probably rather lose a nut than my jp8000

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:01 pm

You might want to consider the new Sh-201 as an alternative to the JP-8000. They're almost identical but the 201 has a couple of cool new features.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:03 pm

kuniklo wrote:You might want to consider the new Sh-201 as an alternative to the JP-8000. They're almost identical but the 201 has a couple of cool new features.
whoia

if its really the jp engine im sold

hungry ghost

Post by hungry ghost » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:43 pm

Well I had a play on the SH-201, the sounds were thin and some of the dial tweaks like cutoff sounded really jumpy, the guy in the shop said they had found them all to be like that, whoops Roland! So what software is good for vocoding then, as you mentioned? The vocals on the reason vocoder have to be pre-recorded which is a little lame I think...

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:38 am

hungry ghost wrote:Well I had a play on the SH-201, the sounds were thin and some of the dial tweaks like cutoff sounded really jumpy, the guy in the shop said they had found them all to be like that, whoops Roland! So what software is good for vocoding then, as you mentioned? The vocals on the reason vocoder have to be pre-recorded which is a little lame I think...
as i said you gotta spend time with that engine, if it is indeed the same engine as the jp8000 ...

production technique is also important .. having paint is no good if you are not aware of different manners of application

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:15 am

sweetjesus wrote:it does so have a sin wave are u nuts

i have had both

and i would say that i have extracted an amaing palette of sounds with the jp8000...

it (jp8000) is a VA and despiute the knobs an their results being same as a subtractive analogue, the way you tweak the sounds is a little bit different, theres these cool sweetspots all over the place where the algorithms come together in perfect synergy.

the ms2000 on the other hand is a very very solid bread and butter VA. good warm sounds. the vocoder is ok, but i think software would give u similar results, the sequencer is worth checking and people like the neptunes have that korg engine sound in heaps of their tunes so it is definately solid

personal opinion?

ive sold my korg, but i would probably rather lose a nut than my jp8000
Interesting how much liking a synth is based on personal likes and dislikes of tonal character and snic spectrum isn't it.
If I had the choice I'd take the MS2000 over the JP.
Though both are rather nice none the less.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:57 am

The biggest advantage of the MS2000 is that it's a breeze to program. I've never used the JP8000, but I find other Roland gear often cryptic with menus and such.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:24 am

I'd go ms2000, I've missed mine ever since I sold it for rent years ago
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:39 am

M. Bréqs wrote:The biggest advantage of the MS2000 is that it's a breeze to program. I've never used the JP8000, but I find other Roland gear often cryptic with menus and such.
the jp8000 is the most knob laiden synth ive owned after my A6.

the only things i have to set in the menu are things like midi sync steps

BeyondReazon

Post by BeyondReazon » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:20 am

sweetjesus wrote: it (jp8000) is a VA and despiute the knobs an their results being same as a subtractive analogue, the way you tweak the sounds is a little bit different, theres these cool sweetspots all over the place where the algorithms come together in perfect synergy.
I know exactly what you mean about the sweetspots!

I have the rack versions of each and I think (just on the surface)the MS2000 has more immediately impressive presets than the JP8080, which for (the JP8080)some presets sound a bit dated now, and I hate the delay effect, it's sounds so cheap. BUT if you're willing to dive deeper into the JP8080 you'll get such a huge variety of strange sounds that may provoke a more 'what did they use for that sound' kind of question rather than 'oh they used an MS2000 there!' Depends how you work and whether you're prepared to play around with it.

The knobs on the JP8080 feel a lot more solid than the MS2000, and the JP8080 has this wonderful feedback osc which makes it sound like a roaring guitar. However, the MS2000 has suited me more instantly lately and is why it's still in my rack and the JP8080 is on the floor at the moment!

In a nutshell though, I always end up going to the MS2000 when I want a big thick bass, or modulating pad. When I need an interesting arpeggiator or thick cut-through-the-mix style blips and sfx I'll use the JP8080. I haven't dived to far into the vocoders or each but I think the JP8080 will have the edge?

If I was you I'd get both! Or if you could only get one synth ever, I'd get a nord 3!

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:01 am

M. Bréqs wrote:The biggest advantage of the MS2000 is that it's a breeze to program. I've never used the JP8000, but I find other Roland gear often cryptic with menus and such.
Its not but its what your used to. I can use any Roland hardware and find my way around even if i have never used the machine before. They tend to stick to the same operating methods/menus for years and this patch partial thing started around the d50 w30 period. Its the same with yamaha they have their method and if you were there on the ground floor moving from gear to gear from the same company isnt difficult. Roland menus are very logical once you get in to them
HA HA HA :twisted:

frisbeedisk

Post by frisbeedisk » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:44 am

You cant beat the ms2000, even though im more software based, i still love to switch her on with a coffee and pass some time making noise..

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:32 pm

Another MS2000 here and I have an MS20 too. 2k's lotsa fun, esp once you figure the layers, virtual patching (does JP have that?) which is almost worth the price of entry alone and the modulation sequencer. Good for outboard processing and can do some SCARY vocoder stuff too, esp. if you add lots of super-short delay. Killer bass machine and good clav/ele piano if you have some other fx to dirty it up with.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:47 pm

what kinda music you makin by the way?