Tell Us About Your Adventures With Lives CRossfader

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Re-tard

Tell Us About Your Adventures With Lives CRossfader

Post by Re-tard » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:10 am

cause for the life of me i don't get it. how do you use it when your working on a tune or playing, I've got dislexia or something cause I can't get my head around this and I know what a crossfader on a mixer does but in Lives speak, clips, arranger tracks fashion how can I make good use
of this feature.

thanks for being patient.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:33 am

Think of the left hand half of the crossfader as zone "A", the right hand side zone "B".

Now... each track can be assigned to zone "A" or zone "B" or neither.

So... depending which "zone" tracks are assigned to moving the crossfader across it's path will fade tracks into and out of the mix.

Unfortunately the feel of the crossfader is very linear and unlike when using a crossfader. Some hardware controllers get around this by allowing you to adjust the curve and feel of the crossfader making it more analog.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:54 am

thanks guest, who else is using the crossfader out there and loving it?

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:55 pm

Anonymous wrote:thanks guest, who else is using the crossfader out there and loving it?
Here's a repost from the tips and tricks fourm

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:18 pm Post subject: Crossfader use for Send Effects

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a re-post from a discussion on the Crossfader in the Feature Wishlist forum:

I use the crossfader for slapping in and out the wet/dry signal from my sends. All the channels sends are "pre" fader. I assign all channels to A on the crossfader, and all effect send busses to B. Quite fun.

With the crossfader trick, you will lose any delay echos or reverb tail you have when you slap the crossfader back to the dry signal.

Again, there is a workaround for this. I set up as I described above. Then, the output of Send 1 to go to "sends only". It goes 100% to Send 2, as a POST fader signal this time. Then, in Send bus 2, I put any effects with tails - delay or reverbs. The second send bus is NOT assigned to the crossfader.

This way, when the crossfader is dry, Send 1 receives a signal, processes it, but it can't send it to the master outputs or to any Post fader sends. Send 2 is active and waiting, but no sound is coming in to it until Send 1 gets sound - hence it remains silent. As soon as you crank the crossfader, Send 1 immediately routes its signal to send 2, where the delay or reverb is. The tail plays as well, even after you put the crossfader back. Works well, really.

I have a 30 Kilobyte Live session that I constructed as an example (the description is verbose and likely confusing). Email me at:

evilgenius_13@hotmail.com

and I will send you the file from another email address that I won`t put in this forum (it`s still spam-free); it's easier to see than to have it explained in text.

L8er
Montrealbreaks