Midi mapping with multiple instances of VST intruments?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Vertical

Midi mapping with multiple instances of VST intruments?

Post by Vertical » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:12 am

I just got a new controller with tons of knobs and faders...16. I figured out how to map these knobs and faders to one instance of a VST instrument. Yeah!!!

Problem is, when I started up a second instance of this vst instrument on another midi track, all my nicely mapped knobs and faders now control BOTH tracks...how annoying.

Even if I start an instance of a different vst instrument, I guess the knobs I assigned are global settings that will control the VST intrument it's mapped to no matter which midi track I have selected and armed.

Help me to do this:

I want my mappings to ONLY control the track I have armed to record or play. I want to be able to map knob A to a param in VST instrument 1, then use it...then when I start a new track, map that knob A to a different param for the VST instrument in the new track. I want to be able to switch between the two tracks and have the mapping follow the track I select. If the keys can do it why not the knobs! Meaning, somehow Live knows that when I hit notes from the controllers keyboard, it will only play for the track I have armed to record. So why can't knobs and faders be set to only work in the currently armed track.

Please..please someone tell me that this is possible in Live.....and that I am dumb and haven't read the manual, and that it is quite easy to do....

Vertical

Post by Vertical » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:41 pm

I guess what I'm asking is not possible?

I think, I will go the multi-midi channel route. It just means I have to pull up a new memory location on my controller each time I switch between tracks. Seems like an inconvenience.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:20 pm

Hey mr. Vertical!

Just 'cause you're not getting an answer in two hours, doesn't mean something is not doable. Welcome to the forums, by the way.

If you turn monitoring off (or to Auto while not record arming), that track won't recieve the midi cc. This is if we're not talking Live's native midi mapping, but rather sending CCs to the VST directly.

If you're using Live's mapping then you should use different CC's or different midi channels. But if this was the scenario you wouldn't control them both as it is now... So I guess this last paragraph was totally unnecessary. :wink:

Good luck, my friend!
-Mikael

ps. This is a quick forum - just don't get annoyed if someone doesn't answer within minutes.

Vertical

Post by Vertical » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:10 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah,

Actually , it was more like 14 hours. I thought a bump during day hours would get a higher chance of being read by someone who knows. Point taken though about waiting though.

I can try mapping directly to the vst or using different channels.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:31 am

Hi!

Sorry, didn't see the AM, PM thing...

Anyway - good luck with the advice I gave you.

-M

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:15 am

bmp
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:53 am

stale bread wrote:bmp
gif