Which is FASTER A Ibook 600mhz or a Pentium 3 600mhz-

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Which is FASTER A Ibook 600mhz or a Pentium 3 600mhz-

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:46 pm

anybody have the honest answer?

yon

Re: Which is FASTER A Ibook 600mhz or a Pentium 3 600mhz-

Post by yon » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:57 pm

Guest wrote:anybody have the honest answer?
The honest answer is that it would be difficult to guess
because it depends strongly on factors other than the clock speed,
including:

-task (i.e. software, and exact usage of the software)
-disk speed
-memory architecture
-bus speed

Sorry!

I know that Yon but come on man throw me a bone

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:00 pm

I mean with equal specs
256 megs of ram
both using the same external firewire hard drive
and running reason and live

help a fella out folks I just don't want to throw my money away.

jdg

Post by jdg » Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:04 pm

its not gonna be that easy. faster doing what? just one thing? are you only going to use the laptop for live? nuthing else? or other software?

i would choose iBook as it one rugged little beasty and fairly new (unlike a 600mhz PC laptop would be).

also you can run some really great mac specific stuff that i love. But then if you use PC specific stuff, you'd be best to get the PC.

but faster doing what?
www.google.com

best website ever

reason and live ony

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:32 am

I am only going to use it for reason and Live, I mean that's it. I am buying this machine for the purpose of those two programs only, and nothing else will be on the laptop.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:38 am

this is such a tough question. and i'm gonna go with the iBook for a few reasons. one is because the general rule is the mhz on a Mac usually equal a little higher on a PC. this is just a blanket statement that's been handed down to me through generations ; ) also, as someone said, the iBook is newer and therefore made of newer and probably faster components(HD, FireWire, ethernet, graphics, etc.). i don't know if FireWire even existed when PC notebooks were still at 600mhz : ) and a G3 iBook will run much cooler(temperature) than a 600 Wintel, which also helps performance. an iBook is extremely portable, light and rugged. plus it looks very cool. you'll probably get more life from the iBook since a 600mhz PC is already a dinosaur of sorts. i think you would get comparable performance from either but the iBook would be a much better long-term investment. the stability of OS X is worth the cost on it's own, especially if you plan to perform live. I suggest maxing out the RAM and getting a FW HD. that setup should keep you busy for a while. hope that helps.

jdg

Post by jdg » Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:08 am

another reason to get iBook would be that reason2 and live both run on OSX and with 10.2 coming up with big ups to audio/midi built in (1ms latency sound good?) you're bound to have one stable and reasonably fast setup.

also, if you ever need to run of battery only, the iBook yields long battery times (i had it on for 5hrs once streaming iTunes from the internet)

the only reason i would get the PC is if it was like $3-400, then you could buy some software (live and reason have free crossgrades) and save up for the daddy TiBook.
www.google.com

best website ever

Thanks folks

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:18 am

I appreciate the help everybody, those age difference / quality points make sense to me, and thanx for being objective JDG, i think the fogg is lifting. I actually prefer the pc's, it seems like on the high end the pc's kick
butt, but on the low-end it seems like the ibooks make a smarter choice.

ischo - can't shut up

Post by ischo - can't shut up » Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:32 am

okayokay macie's,

of course a 600MHz iBook's better than a 600MHz WinShitThing, but since P4 - 1.8GHz WinShitThings are more or less the same price......maybe you should take a look at toshiba, sony vaio and that sort o' stuff. just to compare. personally i use a P3 1.1GHz toshiba satellite and i'm more than pleased with it's performance.
you decide

Michael

Post by Michael » Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:38 am

i work with an p3 1,1 ghz toshiba and it works fine
michael
ableton

Rx

Post by Rx » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:56 pm

Comparing a pretty new 600mhz iBook to a 600mhz win laptop isn't really fair, since the newest win laptops run at about 2ghz. At the least, there will be a significant difference in price between the iBook and the old win laptop.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

ak

Post by ak » Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:20 pm

Why a 600Mhz PC?

I work with P3-850Mhz IBM Thinkpad and have a TI4-550Mhz.
Both 512MbRam.
My IBM have approx the double Power in Logic Audio (14 Platinum Verbs)
TI4 (7 PV).
Same performance in Live.

it´s up to you.

ak

Rx wrote:Comparing a pretty new 600mhz iBook to a 600mhz win laptop isn't really fair, since the newest win laptops run at about 2ghz. At the least, there will be a significant difference in price between the iBook and the old win laptop.