Drumming question (Dilla style & Grid) + Session view...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
octo

Drumming question (Dilla style & Grid) + Session view...

Post by octo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:01 pm

In Live 6, how do I change the grid in Impulse. Might be a noob question but it´s just recently I´ve found out how great Live is.

Also how do I make those J Dilla style drums? When I had an MPC I could just change the swing, but it seems a bit difficult in Live. Hip Hop heads out there know what I mean...

And finally, is there a way I can just plug my clips into the session view instead of recording my clips "Live"?

Machinate

Re: Drumming question (Dilla style & Grid) + Session view...

Post by Machinate » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:30 pm

octo wrote:In Live 6, how do I change the grid in Impulse. Might be a noob question but it´s just recently I´ve found out how great Live is.
I think the function you're looking for is outlined in chapter 26.16 in the Live 6 manual. Basically it's ctrl+1,2,3,4 to change it up.
octo wrote: Also how do I make those J Dilla style drums? When I had an MPC I could just change the swing, but it seems a bit difficult in Live. Hip Hop heads out there know what I mean...
Top left corner, next to the time signature numerator. It's a little number box showing the percentage of swing. Also, for each clip, in clip view, you can select either 16th or 8th note swing
octo wrote: And finally, is there a way I can just plug my clips into the session view instead of recording my clips "Live"?
Again, I'm not quite certain what you mean, but double clicking in an empty clip slot creates an empty 1 bar midi clip, ready to loop.

Cheers,
Andreas
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:22 pm

but more than applying swing to a quantized drum program, i think you should look at recording with the quantization off, or intentionally moving the midi notes a bit

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:41 am

Warp Dilla beats and play along to loops of them without using quantize. Look where in the grid yr snares & kicks are when you're done recording, & that's the secret to that groove. In other words, use Dilla as the grid.

milka

Post by milka » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:01 am

Machinate wrote:Again, I'm not quite certain what you mean, but double clicking in an empty clip slot creates an empty 1 bar midi clip, ready to loop.

Cheers,
Andreas
is it possible to create longer than 1 bar empty clips the fast way like double klicking?
iBook G4 1Mhz/Korg Kontrol 49/Evolution U-Control/Evolution UC-33/Logic/Reason/Live/ http://www.shapko.com

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:17 am

If you have a MIDI knob assigned to loop length in the clip window, you can crank it up immediately following creating the clip. Or select the loop brace & press ctrl/cmnd+up.

Freekster

Post by Freekster » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:07 am

Machinate wrote:
octo wrote: Also how do I make those J Dilla style drums? When I had an MPC I could just change the swing, but it seems a bit difficult in Live. Hip Hop heads out there know what I mean...
Top left corner, next to the time signature numerator. It's a little number box showing the percentage of swing. Also, for each clip, in clip view, you can select either 16th or 8th note swing.
Cheers,
Andreas
That's one of the biggest flaws in Live. MPC swing is not quantized to be 16th or 8th. That's why it's so groovy. There's a huge difference in quantized and non-quantized swing. In logic you can import MPC groovefiles and use those as a quantize templates. In Live there is no such possibility.

To re-create the groove by trying to copy the hit's, you need to go at least 128 or higher grid.