'General' Forum Split?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:16 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:So the colored section gets Michael Jackson from the Wiz and the non-colored forum gets him from everything after Bad? When did he transform? Post Thriller?

Good point - to be diplomatic

we should have a

"American"
"Non American"
"Colored"
"Non Colored"
and
"Other"

sections - so things like Micheal Jackson can be discussed without intereferring with people reading up on COLORED NON AMERICANS WHO USE LIVE

:lol:
Ableton | Elektron

Music

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:18 pm

i knew we would get to something constructive.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:19 pm

and one for the women to post in.

what about body parts like Ball Sack?

I guess this all will be part of the $400 upgrade to Live 7. The front of the box will read "Now, with improved forums!"

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:25 pm

OR

we could just the leave the forum just the way it is

If it aint broke, dont fix it

:idea:
Ableton | Elektron

Music

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:27 pm

its broke.
fix it.
spreader of butter

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:27 pm

I guess you're right. Lock the thread.

after we fix b0unce.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:31 pm

of course there should be an off topic section there shouldnt even need to be a discussion about this but your on abletons forum remember, a company who take a long time to do anything or havent you noticed. Its fucking mental they allow a situation where a first time visitor comes to the general forum and see posts with fuck you written all over them.
They will do this but first they will have a board meeting then a holiday to think about the ramifications of adding another section to the forum :roll: then they will have another meeting and the dude who decides will think about it for a long time again. Either that or they couldnt give a fuck about the forum but I think they do. Its a reflection of the ninny boy nanny states that we in europe and the usa live in. No one wants to take the fucking bull by the fucking horns in case something goes wrong and they get the blame, cause someone always has to get blamed.
HA HA HA :twisted:

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:40 pm

mercyplease wrote:of course there should be an off topic section there shouldnt even need to be a discussion about this but your on abletons forum remember, a company who take a long time to do anything or havent you noticed. Its fucking mental they allow a situation where a first time visitor comes to the general forum and see posts with fuck you written all over them.
They will do this but first they will have a board meeting then a holiday to think about the ramifications of adding another section to the forum :roll: then they will have another meeting and the dude who decides will think about it for a long time again. Either that or they couldnt give a fuck about the forum but I think they do. Its a reflection of the ninny boy nanny states that we in europe and the usa live in. No one wants to take the fucking bull by the fucking horns in case something goes wrong and they get the blame, cause someone always has to get blamed.
but on the other hand, they provide us one great update a year. which is the most important to me.
i didn't buy Live for its forum.
but as a matter of fact, i like it.
when we discussed with the ableton team last year in berlin, they told us they had plans for a forum/community upgrade, and you're right, patience is their keyword.
but i believe it will be worth the wait. i prefer them not to rush.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:34 pm

baaahhhhhh

ok...you've got your
"American"
"Non American"
"Colored"
"Non Colored"
and
"Other"

you also forgot "democrat" and "republican"

but you'd need UK versions too - "northerners", "scousers" (they need their own category) "chavs", "Scots" "welsh" "essex girls"

then one for the Irish

then how about "post-empire colonials"

then while we're at it why not a "sheep shagger" section, help sort the men from the boys

Then I'm sure the Germans would have their own versions "Bavarians", "former eastern bloc"

in fact, lets put as many categories we can think of then we'd get 1 post a day in each one

(BTW - here's a hint, use the "view posts since last visit" and use a browser with tabbed browsing, then you just see all the posts and you can hold control to open each one in a new tab, and you'd be surprised how few "OT" posts there really are and how easy it is to ignore them!)

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:26 am

peeddrroo wrote:
but that demands user's discipline. and are musicians disciplined?
If you are a musician of a decent calibre I would say yes, you need to be disciplined, at least in your craft. But many people I know use the term musician rather loosely. Stringing together a bunch of loops or .wav files (particularly created by someone else or lifted from a recording made by someone else) doesn't qualify as a "real musician". Real musicians can actually play an instrument. Disc jockies don't count as musicians in my opinion. The definition of a disc jockey is someone who plays other people's music. Just in case that upsets some of you, which it probably will, then I don't care. Should I get any abuse for writing what I just did, I can assure you it will be like water off a duck's back.

Oh yeah. I have always believed that this forum needs to be more organised into sub sections like off topic, hardware related, software issues etc... As I have written many times before, there is a load of total nonsense here, arrogant and rude people and a lot of childish bickering. It's getting ludicrous.

But hey, that's my opinion.
Last edited by Hypomixolydian on Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:11 am

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:
peeddrroo wrote:
but that demands user's discipline. and are musicians disciplined?
If you are a musician of a decent calibre I would say yes, you need to be disciplined, at least in your craft. But many people I know use the term musician rather loosely. Stringing together a bunch of loops or .wav files (particularly created by someone else or lifted from a recording made by someone else) doesn't qualify as a "real musician". Real musicians can actually play an instrument. Disc jockies don't count as musicians in my opinion. The definition of a disc jockey is someone who plays other people's music. Just in case that upsets some of you, which it probably will, then I don't care. Should I get any abuse for writing what I just did, I can assure you it will like water off a duck's back.

Oh yeah. I have always believed that this forum needs to be more organised into sub sections like off topic, hardware related, software issues etc... As I have written many times before, there is a load of total nonsense here, arrogant and rude people and a lot of childish bickering. It's getting ludicrous.

But hey, that's my opinion.
It depends how skillful they are always and on your definition of instrument

IMO an instrument is anything at all somebody can use to create music, and a musician is somebody who can make music

of course there are different skill levels like a white belt at kung-fu is not the same as a black belt

but if you're arguing semantics about the definition of a real "musician" then frankly you're wrong, but i dont disagree with the sentiment - to compare andre segovia with Bill the 14 YO Garageband user is idiotic, but both of them are still musicians, they are just at different levels

and as for splitting the forum into all those sections, as I've said a thousand times before every few days when this topic comes up, all the forums I've been to that are split up like that are boring as shit because they are hard to navigate around and there is no "hub" of communication, so I never go back to them.

Like I said earlier, use the "view posts since last visit" and a tabbed browser and you might be surprised at how easy it is to ignore the crap

then you might also be equally surprised to find that you are actually clicking on the threads that irritate you and that's how you know about them

if you really didnt want to know you wouldnt click on them

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:57 am

forge wrote:
It depends how skillful they are always and on your definition of instrument

IMO an instrument is anything at all somebody can use to create music, and a musician is somebody who can make music

of course there are different skill levels like a white belt at kung-fu is not the same as a black belt

but if you're arguing semantics about the definition of a real "musician" then frankly you're wrong, but i dont disagree with the sentiment - to compare andre segovia with Bill the 14 YO Garageband user is idiotic, but both of them are still musicians, they are just at different levels

G'day Forge,

Yes, I agree an instrument is anything at all that can be used to create music, but the key word is "create" and maybe the word "play" should be added too. Ok, there are different levels of musicianship. But by your definition (if I understand you correctly), you would say classify a person who has just learnt to play "Smoke On The Water" on only one string on the guitar as a "musician"? I know lots of people who fit into that category. They see a guitar at a party or wherever, pick it up (as a party piece) and for years the ONLY thing they have learnt to play is "Smoke On The Water". They are by your definition "creating" or "playing" music. Do you really think that qualifies them as a musician? I say no way!!

forge wrote:
if you really didnt want to know you wouldnt click on them
I suppose that is true, but I disagree that dividing the forum into sub sections makes for a boring forum. I also belong to a few forums where it is more organised, but at least it is clear what is where and if you choose to read off topic stuff, it is there neatly in one place. I hate having to scroll through lists of things finding something that might be interesting to me. I don't understand why you think it would make things boring, as people would still post the stuff they want to post, OT or not. So as far as content goes, nothing changes except that it is organised and categorised for convenience.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:08 am

You gotta admit, it's has a lot of punk rock personality this way and is more original to boot. I like the dichotomy and silliness.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:12 am

knotkranky wrote:You gotta admit, it's has a lot of punk rock personality this way and is more original to boot. I like the dichotomy and silliness.
Seriously, what's up with people asking for MORE rules? :roll: Are you musicians or republicans??

It'd be cool to have: general, tips and tricks, bug and problems, link your music, local, feature wishlist and then maybe a beta forum for new releases. THAT would be cool.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:32 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:
knotkranky wrote:You gotta admit, it's has a lot of punk rock personality this way and is more original to boot. I like the dichotomy and silliness.
Seriously, what's up with people asking for MORE rules? :roll: Are you musicians or republicans??

It'd be cool to have: general, tips and tricks, bug and problems, link your music, local, feature wishlist and then maybe a beta forum for new releases. THAT would be cool.
No shit. Bet you can hear it in their music. All too tight, super in tune, no rough edges and a hand full of songs that sound the same that aren't quite finished yet because there being perfected to death. That would be republican music for sure. Like pop country music. ew

I mean nappy dudes make the best music right?

We have a tips n tricks page?