mp3 to Wav to mp3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
_david

mp3 to Wav to mp3

Post by _david » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:31 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if going from mp3 to wav back to mp3 results in any loss of data if all bit rates are kept the same..?

I used some of my mp3's to do a mix in Live...I converted them to wav..done my mix and then converted back to mp3 and the sound quality seems totally fine, whch is cool :-)

Cheers,

David

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:50 pm

AFAIK there will be some loss of quality, not sure exactly how the mp3 to wav process works, like,if it justs interpolates between samples or something :?

as along as it sounds ok thats the important i guess

HTH

snitchz

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:28 am

Last edited by montrealbreaks on Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

gaspode

I doubt it

Post by gaspode » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:55 pm

I would be willing to bet there would be 0, or as close to 0 loss of quality to be considered negligable.

I state this assuming two things though... first, that you use the same encoder to go from .wav -> .mp3 both times... and that you use the same settings to encode the data.

My reasoning for this is that .mp3 files save most of their space by first, removing any psycho accoustics that our feeble brains can't process and therefore cannot hear, and then by reducing the bit depth and other tricks to maintain an average kbps that you specify.

Since once you've removed the psycho accoustics the first time around going from .wav -> .mp3 they are gone. When you go from your first .mp3 to a .wav again, you cannot get these psycho accoustics back. Any data that was lost by bit reduction or other processes is gone. You cannot reproduce it from the .mp3 file.

So when you go from your second .wav -> second .mp3 it already has all the fat trimmed off that it could. I doubt that it could take anything more.

Of course the only logical reasoning I can come up with for doing something like this is that possibly you have an mp3 that you want to edit somehow, either compress... remove a glitch... or otherwise fix/modify the .mp3. Personally I see no harm in doing this, and worsed case scenario, any damage that may be done, you can always go back to your original file.

Greg