Mackie onyx 1220. Anybody here use it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:10 am

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:18 am

If your handy with a soldering iron you could probably mod your mixer so that EQ's are included in the signal path to firewire out and into your computer. Mackie gives you detailed instructions on useful mods to their mixers in the manual. I just don't know about the ONYX. Personally, I would just get the ONYX without the firewire or the 1202 VLZ Pro along with a kickass soundcard such as Metric Halo or RME.

Also if its true that you do not actually own Live and are using a crack, then pay up before you even bother asking for advice on something you don't even own.

ZSZS_ZSZS

Re: Mackie onyx 1220. Anybody here use it?

Post by ZSZS_ZSZS » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:26 am

I am planning to get it and have two "simple" questions:

1. Can I route 2 back track (any combination of audio/midi track) from my mc to 2 different outs = 2 pairs of boxes? This is for an audio installation, 2 different channel from DAW to be played on 4 boxes (2 stereo pair). If yes, it is only limited up to 2 back track? And can I do this without using the main out?

2. Can I at the mean time use 2 live microphones ins in mackie, together with ableton's audio effects and manipulate them live and route them to main mix out to be heard from both of these stereo pair boxes? If yes, can I do the same while recording? (will the analog ins be recorded together with plug-in manipulations)?

Thanks in advance.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:51 am

sadmac wrote: Some people say that the sound from my powerbook would become warmer, rougher, and more sweet and crispy..... :lol: and other says that it would cause noisy parts and in general that its not good to use a mixer when you play laptop music.
An external mixer of this type and quality won't make anything sound better that couldn't be equally achieved in software before the DAC stage. There's nothing "magical analogue" about the Onyx. A good audio interface certainly can improve the sound. That's a given.

We use the Onyx with the firewire card in the studio, though quite often bypassing the firewire connection, using our main interfaces. We never use the EQ really. I don't like it.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:54 am

ZSZS_ZSZS wrote:I am planning to get it and have two "simple" questions:

1. (will the analog ins be recorded together with plug-in manipulations)?
If you record the manipulations as automation data. I don't think it will become part of the recorded audio clip unless you freeze/flatten after having recorded automation or alternatively route the signal to another audio track, in which case any alterations will become recorded as audio.
Make some music!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:25 pm

sadmac wrote:I am about to buy this mixer. I am little bit confused.

Some people say that the sound from my powerbook would become warmer,

rougher, and more sweet and crispy..... :lol: and other says that it would cause

noisy parts and in general that its not good to use a mixer when you play laptop music.

I am pretty sure that in live perfomances routing the signal of the laptop to mackie 1220 would make it better . I ll use also condenser mics, and contact mics .
My question is: is it worthy to get a mixer ? Is it possible to use it as a controller also? How much a mixer affects the sound of a powerbook? Is that good or not, to the home recordings ad live perfomances?

thank you for reading

Don't use an Onyx but Id say, it is probably fine. With proper use, I wouldn't think it should add too much coloration. I had a 1604 vlz back in the day, and it did have a sound but I think it was more from trying to drive the preamps recording 16 bit, pretty much having to use the rudimentary EQ in the mixers (before the DAW era of mixing). Try it out in a store to be sure. if it does color, it comes down to you whether you like what it does or not. There might be ways to bypass it as well (i.e. recording at lower levels, using direct outs to bypass alot of the mixer circuitry).

Most audio interfaces though shouldn't color a whole lot with proper use though. I would think most folks are just using normal audio interfaces with like 2-8 inputs (however many you need). Most audio interfaces have ways (sometimes rudimentary, other times pretty elaborate) of mixing your input signals digitally even with effects. You won't have the extra faders or possible control surface support, but it is another option to consider.

ZSZS_ZSZS

Post by ZSZS_ZSZS » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:52 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
ZSZS_ZSZS wrote:I am planning to get it and have two "simple" questions:

1. (will the analog ins be recorded together with plug-in manipulations)?
If you record the manipulations as automation data. I don't think it will become part of the recorded audio clip unless you freeze/flatten after having recorded automation or alternatively route the signal to another audio track, in which case any alterations will become recorded as audio.

Thanks for the answer. Yes these are automation data since the plugins are ableton plugins. They stay normally in recording - you don't have to freeze/flatten but you should record /play in "launch" mode. But I do this trick too, (to route the signal in another audio track) for many other reasons sometimes. So you say theoretically, I won't need to route them when I use audio plugins of ableton as automation data. What about the out-put routings? Can I use Control Room Out and ALT 3-4 for different audio tracks played in DAW? Does anyone know that? Or has anyone a mackie onyx 1220i? Would be great if anyone could test its I/O configurations with ableton.