Question for those using MPC with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
NewSc2

Post by NewSc2 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:13 am

ehh... i have Live and an MPC2kXL, and I haven't turned on the MPC in months. For me it's pretty much either use Live to sequence or the MPC, and with my lack of routing options I've been sticking to Live (because it is so, so, so much more comprehensive). With my MPC i find myself using a dickload of hardware (duh... use MPC to control VST's??), and with Live I tend to try to keep as much software going as possible.

Although I did love that MPC swing. Actually I might fire up the good ol' MPC + Motif combo up and start tracking it into the comp again.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:38 am

Machinate wrote:
rikhyray wrote:If you like step sequencing then there is only one solution-Yamaha RS 7000. only sequencer that allows you programming real time, using all your fingers simitanously, switching measures, changing velocities etc, etc.
Most definitely NOT true. I agree it is a good instrument though(And why not use it just for midi sequencing :) )
Really not true ? Let me know if there is something that can do RS7k grid mode- would love to get it. I wish there was a JJ for RS, just installed the OS on MPC and that shit is amazing- turning half toy into real thing, true breakthrough. All them Yamahas, Korgs making such lame products with increadible potential, there was something similar years ago with pimping Rolands HD portastudios. It would be fantastic if this JJ thing would be followed.probably not, it can work economically only because of MPC user base.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:55 am

shit they just came out with version 4.11 tonight, I just installed 4.02 yesterday, I saw 4.10 earlier today but didn't get a chance to install it. the jjs work faster than a mutha 8O
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

ajstrax

Post by ajstrax » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:29 pm

What up - interesting thread. I thought about what I was really looking for:

I would pick up a 1K to do all of my midi sequencing. So, I"ll load up my vsts into live and set each to different channels (sampltank, etc). That way, I'll use MPC's midi sequencer (Not lives which it off for me). Then record audio into live and go from there. So the MP would be where i play out all of the beats (and add fills etc).

Would getting a 1K for this purpose be alright, or is that a waste of money? To be honest, I dont like recording in live's arrangement page. Thoughts dudes...
Live 6, MV8800, Moog Phatty, Guru, KRK Rokit 5's

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:19 pm

ajstrax wrote: I would pick up a 1K to do all of my midi sequencing. So, I"ll load up my vsts into live and set each to different channels (sampltank, etc). That way, I'll use MPC's midi sequencer (Not lives which it off for me). Then record audio into live and go from there. So the MP would be where i play out all of the beats (and add fills etc).
This definitely works. I've done this quite a bit recently. The MPC's sequencer is primitive compared to Live, but for some reason I enjoy using it more to sketch out ideas.

However, if you're not planning to use the sampler engine of the MPC and just want a good midi hardware sequencer, you should really take a look at the E-Mu Command Stations. They don't make them anymore but you can pick them up cheap used and they're really excellent hardware sequencers.

ajstrax

Post by ajstrax » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:57 pm

Thanks kuniklo - I hear what your saying. Using the mpc as a midi sequencer may work well, but I don't want to do that when I have live's midi sequencer. Guru is cool but doesn't let me rock with plugsound pro drum kits etc.

So, I want to first try to get the midi sequnecing in live down before making a purchase. I"m having trouble with the over-dub. When I set a record marker (say, 2 bars) and click overdub , what I want to do is to keep overdubbing adding more sounds one each "pass." But, even with the overdub on it overwrities whats there on each pass.

TEll me I don't have to hit "stop" after each recording so that it doesn' t erase what I've done? If that's the case, I'm grabbbing the 1K...:)

ajstrax

Post by ajstrax » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:33 pm

Anyway, I had slept on the manual! :oops: Actually, what I want to do works great in Live in the session view. Set up a clip to 2 bars (or however long), set global quantize to 1 bar, record quantize to whatever you want, then hit record and that's it. Then simply record your pattern and keep adding elements - very nice. Later....

milka

Post by milka » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:01 pm

stale bread wrote: the real cream is using both Live and the mpc as an extension of one another.
you know you can assign clips in live to your midi controller and record your pad play into the arrangerview right?...
Have done that since the version 1 of Ableton Live, always loved that feature, but never loved the sound that Live imprints on ANYthing that goes trough it ... dont want to start a flaming war here .. but its just how I hear it : Live's sound engine is not as "transparent" as Logic Audio fior example ... something to do with the digital summing or the timestretching algorythms .. whatever .. it lucks "liveliness" .
Ableton greatly improved the timestretching - Warp algorythms since the earlier versions , but the total sound of multiple tracks summed up together is washy.

After alot of hesitations and reading forums,
finally got an MPC1000 Black + New JJ OS 4.15.
Learning its way of working and can already say it clear:
ANYthing that i put into AKAI MPC1000 or sample into it sounds Great, warm and aLive !
i am very exited about this new "toy" but need to stick to it every day to get to know it as i know (Ableton) Live... ;)
well imagine a hardware box that has
64 pads and each of those pads has the power and features of a Live clip, envelopes, fx, all of that. thats what an mpc-1000 can do, it can be your front end and Live your back end and you can sequence all of your live clips with the mpcs sequencer and record your compositions to Lives arranger view.
Would be great to try to hook up Live and MPC100 together to use the best of booth - how do you do that, what is the right settings in booth and the workflow u use ? [/quote][/b]
iBook G4 1Mhz/Korg Kontrol 49/Evolution U-Control/Evolution UC-33/Logic/Reason/Live/ http://www.shapko.com