ableton's unfair copy protection system

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stew

Post by stew » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:50 am

When you upgrade and reinstall every three months, do you have any time left for making music?

popslut

Post by popslut » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:41 am

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:48 am

deadmau5 wrote:
FrankH wrote:
thelike5 wrote:I've been issued ONE unlock key since I first bought Ableton Live going on 5 years ago...

'nuff said.
Same here, i only have to unlock once. I have upgraded from Live 1 to Live 2 to Live 3 to Live 4 to Live 5 and recently to Live 6 and had no problem at all.

darthstephen if you feel the need to re-install your OS every month then you should consider doing your pron surfing on an other computer and not on your music production computer.
i for one, buy a new CPU and motherboard at *least* once every 3 months, simply because i like to stay on top of things... and having doing that, and playing around with different configurations, i have no choice most times but to re-install an operating system... which in turn led me today to my first "unlock key expiry" im pretty unenthusiastic about this... or about having to explain to abletons support as to "why" i need a new key...

quite frankly it's none of their business as to how frequently i choose to upgrade my production machine, but here i am finding myself having to explain "why" i need a new key.... not to mention the fact that im now stuck here, not being able to do jack shit about it until someone on the other side of the planet gets back to me.

very dissapointed.
deadmau5, dont you think every 3 months is a little excessive? I mean, once a year sure, the way cpu tech is moving these days. But four times a year?! Have you got money to burn?

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:03 am

quite frankly it's none of their business as to how frequently i choose to upgrade my production machine, but here i am finding myself having to explain "why" i need a new key.... not to mention the fact that im now stuck here, not being able to do jack shit about it until someone on the other side of the planet gets back to me.

very dissapointed.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

nolus

Post by nolus » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:09 am

A Bowl of Petunias wrote:Oh no, not again!
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:10 am

A Bowl of Petunias wrote:Oh no, not again!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FrankH

Post by FrankH » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:27 am

Four time a year is quite a lot in my opinion. I have a major upgrade every 2 or 3 years. Well, that's the way it is then. No reason to complain about Ableton support on this.
Live 6.0.3 Win XP sp2, P4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, UXGA video, RME Multiface (1), Nord Lead 3, Korg X5D, TR-Rack, ER-1, Roland Juno 106, JV-2080, Elektron Machinedrum-UW, SidStation, SPL Charisma, Soundtracs CP6800 (40/12/24), Genelec 1030A, Furutech TP80, etc.

Pepehouse

Post by Pepehouse » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:45 pm

20 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
A day without House Music isn't the end of the world but is so damn close.

http://soundcloud.com/pepehouse
http://www.myspace.com/pepehouse
http://www.worlddj.com/pepe-house

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:46 pm

Pepehouse wrote:20 pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
rotfl
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:02 pm

TheAnimal wrote:
"Wie man in den Wald hineinruft, so schallt es auch heraus." Unfortunately I have no idea if there is an english equivalent for that saying.
Oh yes, I say it all the time. In English it would be: "How one into the forest in call, peeled it also out."

Actually even with my high school German I have no idea what the idiomatic translation of that phrase would be.

(P.S. Let us praise Ableton that they do NOT require a dongle for copy protection. I would probably use it if I had to but I sure would not like it.)

r.

kramer

Post by kramer » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:22 pm

I'm not going to read this whole thread....but I just want to say that I've been very happy with Ableton's protection system and their customer service in general. I've heard nightmare stories about some of the other major companies. This guy should try one of them and maybe get some cheese to go with his whine.

FrankH

Post by FrankH » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:27 pm

cheers :wink:
Live 6.0.3 Win XP sp2, P4 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, UXGA video, RME Multiface (1), Nord Lead 3, Korg X5D, TR-Rack, ER-1, Roland Juno 106, JV-2080, Elektron Machinedrum-UW, SidStation, SPL Charisma, Soundtracs CP6800 (40/12/24), Genelec 1030A, Furutech TP80, etc.

divonic

Post by divonic » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:39 pm

for one, buy a new CPU and motherboard at *least* once every 3 months, simply because i like to stay on top of things... and having doing that, and playing around with different configurations, i have no choice most times but to re-install an operating system... which in turn led me today to my first "unlock key expiry" im pretty unenthusiastic about this... or about having to explain to abletons support as to "why" i need a new key...

very dissapointed.
again not ableton's fault.

My suggestion would be build a stable computer with all the extra parts you have and use ableton on that. Maybe one of your OLD dual Core chips. get it running and then. mess around with your other computer. I almost spent as much time researching my latest computer as you spent with your current configuration.

Come on. my last computer still kicks ass and it is 3 years old. I started researching a new one around the begining of July. I finally finished it at the end of august. (cause Live 6 was coming out in september :lol: ) made sure it was stable in sept and worked some driver bugs out of it while 6 was being beta tested (by other people) finally when 6 came out I loaded it on and went to work. I have no intentions to upgrade anything (it is kinda close to top of the line) OS/Hardware, unless I run into a problem, for a number of years. (except maybe ableton 7) I don't see a reason why. if I wanted a frankenstein box to play with hardware or software I'd use my old computer (in fact that what I do except the only thing I've tested on it is synthmaker) I don't understand messing with a stable well running machine. oh yeah if I had the internet at home I'd not have it connected to my studio machine

pev

Post by pev » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:13 am

I'll second that Ableton's system is one of the least draconian systems out there and I'm a fan. Unlcoking online is a breeze and I've never been refused an unlock code despite regularly dicking around with different machines and reinstalls. As for the poster who rebuilds his machine every 3 months. Er? WTF? If you're serious about making music get your machine in a solid state, tweak the OS for good performance and then FFS leave the system alone!

Golden rule :
If it aint broken, dont fix it.

~Pev

Nick Waine

Post by Nick Waine » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:19 pm

I am about to purchase Live, but I as a Cubase user have been a bit concerned that Ableton might not release new unlock codes if I reinstall without an image or change hardware. This thread has convinced be that Ableton are a decent company, and that the copy protection is far, far less obtrusive than the dongle method.

The O/P should buy Cubase and see how he likes the dongle, he'll be able to reinstall every day of every year :D