The Covert Operators: The Covert Seq

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
D DAS

Post by D DAS » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:51 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
D DAS wrote:i just woke up, and my email download was there :) so i quickly played with the seq. but now need to run to work.

one thing, i will read the manual when i get home but how do you de activate steps? i tried turning off , say step two, three, and four but you can still hear the instrument being triggered. do i need to go into the envelops and kill the volume? that can't be, enlighten me cov. opps.

peace

d~
Turn the velocity of the step down to zero :wink:
duh! thanks. i am waking up a bit now

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:10 pm

Hey DKF,

Sent you the presets that work with the impulse 128.

Cheers

- B

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:08 pm

Hoffman, you ARE the man, many thanks for this awesome bit of kit, this has totally changed the way I make beats. I'm seriously impressed at how well you've learned and applied racks, let alone share your creations ($5 is damn cheap for something this useful).

All respect.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:12 am

Yeah. It's heaps of fun with this thing.

Here's another little neat trick. Place an arp in front of the sequencer rack, turn MIDI monitor on and trigger a pattern that plays notes at 1/16th. Make sure the arp is also playing at 1/16th.

When you set it up like that, the pattern clip becomes a dummy clip.
On of the other neat little joys of Live....
So you keep the step sequencing, but you can play with the signal that is feeded to the steps.

Live........., so many things you can do under the hood and I still want more :wink:

Any suggestions or requests are always welcome.

My name is Bjorn and I'm a rackaholic.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:06 am

it says when i open it that operator is being disabled (i do nnot have operator) am i missing anything besides presets because of this?

and how can i change it to run 8th note instead of 16th

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 am

well i put an arp at the beginning of the seq. to adjust between 8th note and 16th. it does control something for sure, not sure what but it will slow down the sequence if asdjusted to 8th or 1/4

emptypond

Post by emptypond » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 am

im feeling a little dumb, because im not exactly sure how this simplifies things? whats the advantages of this method over using the old fashioned piano roll to program a drumbeat/bassline or whatever? and is the impulse 128 preset included in the package or is that a special for DKF only? thanks for any insights! :oops:

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:53 am

ok, i now see dkf's love for this seq.

it is sick. 5 minutes of playing around with it and i am in love

random bleeps and noises yeeee haawwwwww! stoked

http://huebeing.com/fuckin_around_2.mp3

random shit 1st time playing with it. time to really dive in and focus on what knobs i am tweaking. all done with the seq excepty the four floor drum beat

thanks covert ops!
Last edited by D DAS on Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:28 am

emptypond wrote:im feeling a little dumb, because im not exactly sure how this simplifies things? whats the advantages of this method over using the old fashioned piano roll to program a drumbeat/bassline or whatever? and is the impulse 128 preset included in the package or is that a special for DKF only? thanks for any insights! :oops:
this is how I've used it.
picture a BCR
To get started I assigned the very top row of encoders to the global settings.
On the top row of encoders at the bottom, I assigned LEVEL to the first 8 steps
On the middle row I assigned note value
On the bottom row I assigned note length.
(assign 8 more to preset 2 and you have 16 steps or use more of preset 1 to get 16 steps, this example is just 8 steps.)
I fed the output to an operator.

Then I launched an 8 step sequence.
I can look at the BCR's lights and see which notes are on, which are off, which are long, which are short/long, which are driven hard/soft. No mouse, no looking at the computer. Make sense?

The I took the covert op's 128 slot drum set and split it into 4 groups, kicks, snares, hi hats and percussion.

I know that when a note value is low, it's a kick, above that is a snare, etc.
So I can assign 3 drum notes per step, again, no mouse, no looking at the computer. If I make two tracks of this I can set 6 drum sounds per step, layering drums makes sweet sounds.

I haven't even tried feeding the thing an arp, whoa... Just got home, going nuts tonight.

oh, and with the global settings I can turn the scale on/off and adjust the random settings for INSTANT breaks, then put the pattern back to normal.

hope that helps...

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:00 am

i must be a fucking idiot .i cant get this thing too work. first,when i turn down the velocity on any of the steps it still makes noise. forget it.even when i turn the steps off it still makes noise.i turned off the whole drum seq. and im just hearing a sound looping over and over.i just dont get it.

settle

Post by settle » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:27 am

i bought this and have been playin with it ever since. just a question-
i was wondering if it is possible to make a clip that would play the sequencer in less than half time, like a note per 1/4, 1/2 and per bar..even two bars and slower(for long slow pads)? couldnt figure out how to make one myself and was lookin for advice?
thanx
asus m6n 1.7 pentium M, esx-1, Nord G2, sh-101.
http://www.xhhx.org

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:34 am

change the 'original bpm' of the clip, or hit the *2 or divide by 2 buttons.

Bassic Dave

Post by Bassic Dave » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:37 am

Arrgh

Id sure like to join the fun.. I paid the dough, anyone know how i can download the rack? No download button the the covertoperators website.

Thanks- :lol:
"Without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave." - G.I. Gurdjieff

www.myspace.com/8118beats

emptypond

Post by emptypond » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:56 am

thanks DeadlyKungFu you've been a great help! :D

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:32 am

emptypond wrote:thanks DeadlyKungFu you've been a great help! :D
cool, you've been a good reader. ;) Most post without reading, ya know?