ReMote 25 Help Needed. I Am Lost need Lobotomy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ReMote 25 Loser

ReMote 25 Help Needed. I Am Lost need Lobotomy

Post by ReMote 25 Loser » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:47 pm

Good folks of the Live comunity I beseach thee.

I am a midi phobe, though I do know how to use the basic odd sequencer, outside of that I only Use midi for syncing devices with one another. Well now I have Live and no longer need any of those other devices which I am very happy about.

but.

Now I have a remote 25 and was looking forward to using all of the knobs, faders, and buttons with my samples but I cannot figure out how. I've been going through the Remote 25 manual and I'm not getting far. I've chosen the Live templates, then clicked on the midi icon in Live, then tried to assign the buttons under the faders to trigger scenes with no success, I've also tried to do this with the other buttons under the knobs, again with no success. I don't know what is considered to be midi technical
or midi easy, I just want to assign the buttons on the remote to trigger clips and scenes, the knobs to effects parameters, and the faders to tracks
can anybody instruct me in a way that I could understand. the midi learn doesn't want to act right.

in advance thank you for your help.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:47 pm

Assuming you've installed the Remote's drivers you should first go to Live's prefs and under the midi tab select the Remote. Check your OS ver. on the Remote too, I recently updated mine, but some of the templates may still be funky, obviously if a knob/button/slider has nothing assigned to it you'll ge no love and have to assign something, all of which is very easy

nik

RL

Post by RL » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:27 pm

thank you for responding, my remote os is the first one, I am planning on updating it but right now, I know that all of the problems i'm having stem from not knowing how to do the easy assigning that you're mentioning, could you point me in the right direction, i found the manual difficult to access.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:24 pm

bump

Moonburnt

Post by Moonburnt » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:56 am

As far as I remember, this is because (get this...) the ableton live template shipped with the remote25 is actually empty! A bit of an oversight by novation! Even if it wasn't empty, you'd be better off making your own template anyway, because that way you can lay it out to match your unique requirements. But just to check there isn't a problem with the unit, try selecting a different template in the remote (say cubase for example) and then put live into midi learn mode and see if they will play together nicely.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:14 am

I am using the Remote 25 audio with Live 3 without any problems.

As previously said, you have to make sure you have the Remote drivers installed (on the disk provided with the unit, or download them if necessary). Then select the unit as your midi input in the preferences.

Once you've selected the Live (possibly shown as Live 2) template you should be able to control it from the 25. Select session view and click on the 'midi' box in Live, you will see the various midi references on the screen over each parameter (eg volume slider).

Assigning a control is simplicity itself (other manufacturers take note) just hit the midi key select the parameter to be controlled and move a controller button or slider. This can be done at any time and is a superb function. The same can be done with the keyboard keys to trigger loops and scenes etc.

Tip - If you plan to use the left / right fader for DJ stuff reassign it to a volume slider, best to use the end one. It is preset to the X/Y pad which appears a good idea but is a pain in practice (actually now I think of it, this could be because I've got the default set to jump to the position of the controller - Think I might change that tonight :-)

Hope this helps

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:42 pm

and how would you change that default in paticular cause I really would rather use it with the xy or the joystick, and thanks for your help.

btw on my remote the Live templates don't have anything in them but I did use a logic template and got it to work.