OS X Audio Editing Software?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Hulk

OS X Audio Editing Software?

Post by The Hulk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:05 pm

Is there any good OS X .wav/.aiff audio editing software? Audacity didn't seem any good. Peak seems more than i'm looking for. Whatever happened to simple apps like Sound Edit Pro? I am having a tough time downsampling wavs so they work correctly in my Korg Electribe ES1.
The best, best songs are utterly forgettable.

hat

Post by hat » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:12 pm

I just switched from Peak to Audacity. I already use ProTools but needed a simple recorder/editor for the laptop, and Audacity just has everything I need in a nice and simple interface.

bitmap

Post by bitmap » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:03 pm

what about peak le? I don't have it but i think it's a stripped down version of peak 4 for osX and it's only $70. I'm in the same boat. i was using soundedit 16 in os 9 for my es-1 now i have a new powerbook and need to find a new editor.
rats!

tanith

Post by tanith » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:24 am

I was in the same boat when i switched to OS X and the update to the new version of peak was to expensive in my eyes. I use Amadeus II nowadays, pretty cheap and does most of what i need. The only thing missing is the Batchconverter, but for that Audiofinder meanwhile does most of the needed tasks.

Kia

Post by Kia » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:17 pm

I'd like to use Audacity, but it doesn't show any of my VSTs or AUs on my computer.
It suuports both, right?

I've been using Spark LE. It's great, really simple, but TC has stooped supporting the program..

netchaiev

Post by netchaiev » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:21 am

Well, I've been using Peak 3.11 for some time already and works well w/ Panther!!!!!!! (ibook g3 700/ os 10.3.3)

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:32 am

not an editor but if all you need to do is downsample iTunes can do it for free.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:14 pm

Live's arrange view plus the consolidate function does a passable impression of a waveeditor IMHO.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:54 pm

thanks for all your helpful suggestions! I think i'm going to seriously consider going with Amadeus II. I tried it and it had a lot of really great functionality. Downlsampling actually worked correctly! plus vst plugs and all that good stuff. only 30 bucks.
The best, best songs are utterly forgettable.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:06 pm

noisetonepause wrote:Live's arrange view plus the consolidate function does a passable impression of a waveeditor IMHO.

-Paws
totally. It seems like from some threads and post that people don't know the full power of the Live's arrangerview. With the arrangerview, envelopes, effects, and consolidate (or render to disk), it seems you can pull off most if not all of your sample editing needs. Missing features I can think of: reverse....anyone have others??

Ryan

proteron

Post by proteron » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:33 pm

I use amadeus ][. It isn't perfect, but for 29$ you can't really beat it if you don't want to use Live's consolidation.

on the topic of batch conversion, I am still not happy with any OSX programs. I am trying out Sample Manager that just released in 1.0 yesterday and I ahve to say it is pretty darned decent, but a little high on the price maybe.... I recently did a really huge conversion job using the old favorite SoundApp! under classic mode :D

Just be sure you've got all OSX audio apps closed if you're going to do it with SoundApp... highly recommended for its price, though I wish he'd make a X version.
--
chris (proteron)

Skeptiktank

Post by Skeptiktank » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:50 pm

I would say that DSP-quattro is one of the best, at any price. And the price is 99 euro: www.dsp-quattro.com

zendari

Post by zendari » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:48 pm

I dont know but I think peak 4 is pretty damn amazing editor I think worth every penny I would be in the dark with out it for sampling. I like to do my audio effects, cuts etc in peak then pop them in live-logic.