How can I get a sound similar to deep space (eic) w/guitar?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nosuch

How can I get a sound similar to deep space (eic) w/guitar?

Post by nosuch » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 pm

I'd like to build myself an effect setting to get a breathy pad sound from my guitar. the sound "deep space" from the eic is a good template to get an idea of what I imagine but cannot achieve.

any suggestions which effect or combination could give me that breathlike, aspirating quality?

thanks
...just trying to figure out how to make my computer sing....

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:17 pm

Drums

nosuch

Post by nosuch » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:59 pm

Cryptic UK wrote:Image
OK, that's a good hint how a dog with big ears looks like. can you sell me the same drugs you use for yourself?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:04 pm

nosuch wrote:
Cryptic UK wrote:Image
OK, that's a good hint how a dog with big ears looks like. can you sell me the same drugs you use for yourself?
i think he's more into laxatives

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:04 pm

Have you considered a MIDI pickup on your guitar? That's the best way to get the sound you're looking for - and many others. MIDI guitar tracking is not ideal, but it is well-suited for driving pads.

I haven't heard the sound you're looking for (don't own EIC) but if you insist on DSP vs. triggering a synth via MIDI, I would start with granular delay plugins. Live's own Grain Delay can provide the basis for some interesting synth-like tones.

nosuch

Post by nosuch » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:28 pm

yeah, i use that a lot in my new electrojazz project, but I did not get to that breathlike sound so far. any suggestions for settings?
a midi pickup is out of focus, sorry. if i want keys i play them on keyboards. ;-)
and I would definately not put a fugly plastic pickup on my handcarved jazz guitar...

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:44 pm

these may have some of what you are looking for:

http://frettedsynth.com/
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:20 pm

nosuch wrote:yeah, i use that a lot in my new electrojazz project, but I did not get to that breathlike sound so far. any suggestions for settings?
a midi pickup is out of focus, sorry. if i want keys i play them on keyboards. ;-)
and I would definately not put a fugly plastic pickup on my handcarved jazz guitar...
...but then you *are* asking for a midi sound, right? I mean, wouldn't the logical step be to get a midi guitar then? Not trying to be pushy here, but it really does sound like a cheap guitar with a midi pickup is your best bet...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

nosuch

Post by nosuch » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:34 pm

nosorry, don't want no midi guitar. I thought there would be an idea how this kind of sound (not exactly, but in that direction) can be done with audio effects.

nosuch

Post by nosuch » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:46 pm

mikemc wrote:these may have some of what you are looking for:

http://frettedsynth.com/
no system requirements info, not for mac anyway ...
I hoped that I would not have to download something but use some of live's audio effects.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:11 pm

if you are trying to get a 'ghosty/breathy' type sound, I think you want lots of compression followed by heavy fuzz distortion followed by thick chorusing or close delays, with highs and upper mids EQ'ed well back to dull the bite, and also run some through a send to grain delay, with one of the 'whurry' presets for a start. Then, all of that thru some more compression followed by heavy reverb but with not a huge decay.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:55 pm

it's possible -- guitar rig 2 has some presets that get near what you want. all combinations of delays plus filters to kill all attack, compression for sustain, etc.

nosuch

Post by nosuch » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:40 am

mikemc wrote:if you are trying to get a 'ghosty/breathy' type sound, I think you want lots of compression followed by heavy fuzz distortion followed by thick chorusing or close delays, with highs and upper mids EQ'ed well back to dull the bite, and also run some through a send to grain delay, with one of the 'whurry' presets for a start. Then, all of that thru some more compression followed by heavy reverb but with not a huge decay.
thanks - all in series? sounds like frippertronics. I am afraid that with heavy distortion it will not be possible to play chords, but sure the distortion will add overtones that may provide the breathlike quality. will saturator or dynamic tube be better suited for that (I wish I still had blockfish – hope they will release a universal binary soon). I will try that (later, it's 7:30). thanks

nosuch

Post by nosuch » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:00 am

Let me explain why I want to do that kind of sound with a guitar. I "need" it for live performances. playing with my new electrojazz trio I do not want to utilize keyboards, but do everything from my guitar. I use keyboards in the studio but hopefully live I can get rid of them and produce that sounds from my guitar (admitably I can act more spontanously on guitar than on keys). get an impression here: http://guavajelly.de/guavajelly_new.mp3
in the last minute I play some keys (rhodes and the "deep space" preset (both from eic) in the last seconds), but in concerts I hope I can do without. the trumpet is actually a trumpet, by the way.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:06 am

i was trying to get something but with only limited success. the chain i had going had at least 2 reverbs if not 3, an EQ or 2, and i was trying to get the high freq "breathy" stuff by using saturator, redux, and erosion

maybe there's some white noise VST which could be mixed in with the signal