new MacBook core 2 duo!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
funknotik

Post by funknotik » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:50 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:
funknotik wrote:Now that where on the topic of mac books, so i dont have to start a new thread. If im going to use it just for music production is it sufficiently powered. Also are all the software upgrades available for reaktor and ableton for the new macbooks core 2 duo to run well??
Reaktor isn't Intel compatible yet, so it will run under Rosetta emulation, which will cause a performance decrease and won't let you use it as a plug-in if your host (Live) is running natively.

Live is natively compatible (Universal Binary) for versions 5.2.2 and 6.0.1. If you have an older version you'll have to upgrade.

If you use Reaktor extensively, you'll have to wait for a while until they make it Universal Binary or look for other plug-ins that do what you need to do in the meantime. While you wait, why don't you join the fun in one of the multiple "damn you NI, damn you to hell!!" threads. It's fun :wink:
Thanks for the quick response, unfortunately you've confirmed my greatest fears!! Any knowledge of when NI will provide the upgrade? Also once they do upgrade think it will be buggy??
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

Randolf Reimann

yeah, what tha f@#K NI !!!!

Post by Randolf Reimann » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:00 am

How long? Sheesh! them (NI) and PSP are so slow. I can work without reaktor and if they take much longer I may not bother getting the upgrade. But I can't imagine living without Vintage Warmer. I'm getting closer and closer to just using ableton fx and instruments and my few bits of hardware.

Nav

Post by Nav » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:10 am

As a PC user for years I find myself waving my creditcard over the macbook at the moment.

I want it for prodcution and portability for gigs and stuff. My budget isnt great so is the macbook a good choice over the macbook pro? Im wondering if the dedicated video card leaves you with better performance for your vst and if the pro is much bigger/heavier. The macbook might be a beter portability choice?

Having never owned a mac I'd appreciate any input.

Cheers

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:45 am

Nav wrote:As a PC user for years I find myself waving my creditcard over the macbook at the moment.

I want it for prodcution and portability for gigs and stuff. My budget isnt great so is the macbook a good choice over the macbook pro? Im wondering if the dedicated video card leaves you with better performance for your vst and if the pro is much bigger/heavier. The macbook might be a beter portability choice?

Having never owned a mac I'd appreciate any input.

Cheers
Well I was waiting for the C2Duo upgrades, and thankfully they arrived this side of Christmas! I was also hoping to get a Macbook, but opted for the Pro as the upgrade was very generous. Since I can get an educational discount, the Pro only worked out about £150 more for a variety of better features (gfx card, hd, screen, case, backlit keyboard etc.). This is because I was going to get a 2Ghz White Macbook and install the RAM myself up to 2 gigs (around £1000 nearly).

I would imagine the Macbook would still be a great option though - especially if portability is the (or close to) your biggest concern. That being said my 15" Pro is thin, not too heavy or big.

PS. I'm writing this from my new gadget. :)

Nav

Post by Nav » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:59 am

Ok I'm looking at the uk prices and the basic macbook pro is way more than i have so the macbook it is i think. Is it up to the job for music production then?

reptar

Post by reptar » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:24 pm

I've got a Macbook (Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo) and it's awesome for music production. It runs sets at about 60-75% of what they were running on my G5, and the G5 was no slouch. Go for it I say!

I wish I could have waited for the Core 2 Duo upgrade but I had to get one a couple of months ago cause I had some live work coming up.

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:32 pm

reptar wrote:I've got a Macbook (Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo) and it's awesome for music production. It runs sets at about 60-75% of what they were running on my G5, and the G5 was no slouch. Go for it I say!

I wish I could have waited for the Core 2 Duo upgrade but I had to get one a couple of months ago cause I had some live work coming up.
Are you running Live and Logic together ?

Ide like to know how these two run on the MB and MBP
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

Nav

Post by Nav » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:48 pm

I Just ordered my macbook and I feel dirty!

dispatched in 3 days !!!

I went for the midrange one with the 2ghz duo 2 and a gig of ram.

I asked them waht discount I'd get if it was ordered in my sisters name as shes a teacher and they said I could have a discount and the 3 yr warrenty for £50 instead of £200.

They didnt even ask her name in the end :s

Anyway I'll keep you posted on this apple noobs adventures!

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:55 pm

I asked a guy at next byte in sydney about edu price on that same model and he said something about apple not letting retailers sell edu priced...

How did you order it ? over the phone ?
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

Nav

Post by Nav » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:57 pm

yeah i jsut phoned the applestore number on the website

Nav

Post by Nav » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:45 pm

Man it arrives tommorrow!

I didnt realise this that if you order the extra warrenty it gets shipped in its little box from somewhere else and they have to 'merge' in transit which is why its taken so long!

Anyway tommorrow hopefully :D

Nav

Post by Nav » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:19 pm

It came, and then so did I.

Its sweet these things are class!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:05 pm

Very nice aren't they? :)

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:59 pm

Congratulations on the MacBook, you'll never look back.

LoopyFIN

Post by LoopyFIN » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:53 am

Got my 2,0Ghz Core2Duo MacBook with 2G RAM on monday.
I Bought upgrade to Live 6 on tuesday, and installed the rest of my VST/AU's.
My M-Audio Axiom 49 should arrive today (wednesday).

Now my Live starts in 5 seconds, and CPU in Live 5 performance test is around or below 20%. :twisted:
2,0 GHz MacBook Core2Duo 2,0Gb RAM & OSX 10.4.8
Live 6.0.1
Stylus RMX, FM8 + freeware Universal Binaries.