HOW CAN I RECORD AND LOOP VOCALS ON THE FLY WITH LIVE?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Balaclava

HOW CAN I RECORD AND LOOP VOCALS ON THE FLY WITH LIVE?

Post by Balaclava » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:17 pm

Hi I'm new here.

I'd like to find out if recording vocals and looping them on the fly is a possiblity with LIVE. I would like to be able to do this with other instruments as well if possible, like drums or guitars. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:38 am

Its absolutely possible!

You just set the channel's Input field to "Live IN" this will access the input of your computer/soundcard/audio interface. There are many options for monitoring and recording "start on next bar", "start on next 8 bar cycle" etc. You can seamlessly drop out of record and into playback at the touch of the mouse, or a QWERTY key, or a MIDI note.

The best thing is probably to download the Demo and give it a try. Its fully functional: you just can't save your work or render to disk.

HTH
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

gaspode

Ya...

Post by gaspode » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:24 pm

As Pitch Black says... this is entirely do-able...

But... and this is a rather big one... it will help dramatically if everyone... or at least whomever is being recorded is on time... you may want to use a click track for this or something else... because otherwise you'll end up chopping off bits from the instrument/vocal if it is too long or your loop will be an incorrect size.

Essentially all you need to do though is setup a track to be in record mode, trigger via keyboard or midi a record to start, and then trigger via keyboard or midi for the record to end. Then you've got yourself a nice new shiny loop ready to be played with the rest of your song.

Greg