ControlAid/Panther

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AIRDRAWN

ControlAid/Panther

Post by AIRDRAWN » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:34 am

http://www.charlie-roberts.com/controlAid

looks like a great app but i can't even get it to launch. it seemed to install ok but then on just quits on startup. perhaps there's a driver conflict? anyone had similar problems?

G5 Dual 2ghz
motu 896 hd

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:47 am

Hi Airdrawn, which version of ControlAid are you using?

I have only tried on 10.3.2, and it works a treat.

I had a major problem once where it kept crashing like yours, I removed it and did a search for ControlAid, removed any preferences files that it may have had.

After that and switching midi ports (maybe i had an incompatible one) it works perfectly.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:54 pm

hey,

Definitely try deleting that preference file like sweetjesus recommends. You might also try deleteing the com.apple.MIDI...... preference file, that caused another person a bunch of problems which were immediately fixed upon deleting it.

i responded in a little more detail on the controlAid forum, let me know if you continue to have problems. - Charlie

AIRDRAWN

Post by AIRDRAWN » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:10 am

thanks charlie

everything's working fine now.

really useful app. it would be truly amazing though if you could assign min/max values to the different controllers, so that it wasn't just 1-127. that way you could find the sweet spot in your 2 or 3 plugin/eqs etc and tweak them all at the same time. also would be great if you could do reverse 127-1 aswell.Even split things up so you could use a crossfader that, when it's centred you have a dry signal, you go left and tweak one fx or go right and tweak another. FL allows you to do that sort of stuff but i'm a mac user and i think i want to stay as one. Just some ideas,don't that's possible without a LIVE update?

thanks for you help

:)

stevo

controlAid confusion

Post by stevo » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:22 pm

AIRDRAWN wrote:thanks charlie

it would be truly amazing though if you could assign min/max values to the different controllers, so that it wasn't just 1-127. that way you could find the sweet spot in your 2 or 3 plugin/eqs etc and tweak them all at the same time. also would be great if you could do reverse 127-1 aswell.Even split things up so you could use a crossfader that, when it's centred you have a dry signal, you go left and tweak one fx or go right and tweak another. FL allows you to do that sort of stuff but i'm a mac user and i think i want to stay as one.

:)
i'm spent a few hours trying to set up my Oxygen8 to work with the controlAid Live template and couldn't figure out how to make a controller affect all tracks. Example:

I set the 2nd rotary controller to cc30 and it forced me to assign it to a midi channel 1-16. When I do this, rotary 2 only affects that particular track (if I choose midi 7, then this only affects track 7 in LIVE).

I feel stupid!

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:11 am

Hey steveo,

controlAid only receives messages on channel 1. So if you set all your oxygen knobs to transmit on channel 1, you'll be good to go. controlAid will then modify the channel info of the MIDI data it sends as needed.

I have an oxygen myself that I used to do a lot of the testing for the program... one helpful thing I figured out with the Oxygen in regards to controlAid is to set the channelCC to be 7, as that is what the data entry fader defaults to whenever you turn on your Oxygen. Then you can just use that slider to choose your output channel.

Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense. All this stuff has been difficult for me to explain to people.

Airdrawn, I want the same types of things with min/max values, so maybe one day I will set about popping it in there, at this point it looks like the interface will have to change in order to add any more features though, so I'm thinking that through. Thanks for the suggestions.

- Charlie

stevo

thanks charlie

Post by stevo » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:51 pm

Charlie, thanks for the tips and for posting such a cool app!

stevo

Post by stevo » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:23 pm

bigbadotis wrote:Hey steveo,

controlAid only receives messages on channel 1. So if you set all your oxygen knobs to transmit on channel 1, you'll be good to go. controlAid will then modify the channel info of the MIDI data it sends as needed.

I have an oxygen myself that I used to do a lot of the testing for the program... one helpful thing I figured out with the Oxygen in regards to controlAid is to set the channelCC to be 7, as that is what the data entry fader defaults to whenever you turn on your Oxygen. Then you can just use that slider to choose your output channel.

Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense. All this stuff has been difficult for me to explain to people.

- Charlie
charlie,

I've reset per your suggestions and it *almost* works, except that now all changes affect both the selected track AND track 1. No matter what, the clip on track one does whatever the selected track does. Is there a way to uncouple these events or should I not have any clips in track 1?

thanks again

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:39 pm

hey steveo,

make sure you only have controlAid selected as the MIDI Input in Live.

if you have controlAid as input1 and also have your controller as input2, then the behavior you're describing will occur.

let me know if that's not what the problem is. - Charlie

stevo

Post by stevo » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:12 pm

bigbadotis wrote:hey steveo,

make sure you only have controlAid selected as the MIDI Input in Live.

if you have controlAid as input1 and also have your controller as input2, then the behavior you're describing will occur.

let me know if that's not what the problem is. - Charlie
-doh!-

that's it - thanks