Who wants "Glitch" plug for mac? No need with Able

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:28 am

fatrabbit wrote: If you wanted you could also assign parameters of every beat repeat to macro knobs (you can assign multiple parameters to a single knob).
yeah, that'd be cool to - and play with the range for these in the mapping browser so they're not all the same.

3rdordertrauma

Re: Who wants "Glitch" plug for mac? No need with Ableton 6!

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:48 pm

Poster wrote: great rack.. I have made similar racks as well..
one tip though; for more radical cut-ups and to make it even more similar as the Glitch plug;
- Place the effects before the Beat Repeats.. this way the effects with long decays (delays, reverb, etc will then also be cut..)
- Set the Beat Repeats to 'Ins' mode so that the ingoing audio stream will be cut and replaced by the 'repeats'..
- Turn off the beat repeats filter.. Rather use a filter in the effects rack..
Yeah! Thanks for the tip! I haven't tried it yet but it makes more sense for sure. For some reason I was in the mind set of trying to get all the chops and edits done pre FX. Maybe I'll try a few pre and a few post FX.

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:02 am

3rdordertrauma wrote:
Poster wrote: great rack.. I have made similar racks as well..
one tip though; for more radical cut-ups and to make it even more similar as the Glitch plug;
- Place the effects before the Beat Repeats.. this way the effects with long decays (delays, reverb, etc will then also be cut..)
- Set the Beat Repeats to 'Ins' mode so that the ingoing audio stream will be cut and replaced by the 'repeats'..
- Turn off the beat repeats filter.. Rather use a filter in the effects rack..
Yeah! Thanks for the tip! I haven't tried it yet but it makes more sense for sure. For some reason I was in the mind set of trying to get all the chops and edits done pre FX. Maybe I'll try a few pre and a few post FX.
it's also a matter of personal taste..
I prefer first fx, then repeats because all sounds are short and more rhytmic..
Every drum sound also stays more distinguishable and is therefore more noticeably affected by the fx..

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:07 am

Poster wrote: it's also a matter of personal taste..
I prefer first fx, then repeats because all sounds are short and more rhytmic..
Every drum sound also stays more distinguishable and is therefore more noticeably affected by the fx..
Yes... I have been playing with this since my last post and I have to agree. It just sounds cleaner and more distinct with the beatrepeats post FX and with the "Ins" activated. However I do have a few still on the "mix" setting which thickens up the beat and makes it a bit more crazy at random. Plus I added a SupaTrigga and LiveCut to the chain wich is adding to the chaos! :D

I been thinking... it would be really cool if Ableton had a modulation/step sequencer plugin with randomization. Something that could be routed or assigned to any control within a rack the same as the macro knobs. This way rather than using the modulation envelopes you could have a plugin doing the same with random values. Of course savable presets and all that too, allowing you to drop it in any rack and go. Would be cool if you could just click drag and drop on the desired modulation destination. Similar to how Massive works. Also could be used as a live drum sequencer. Is there anyway to do that sort of thing now?

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:06 am

3rdordertrauma wrote: I been thinking... it would be really cool if Ableton had a modulation/step sequencer plugin with randomization. Something that could be routed or assigned to any control within a rack the same as the macro knobs. This way rather than using the modulation envelopes you could have a plugin doing the same with random values. Of course savable presets and all that too, allowing you to drop it in any rack and go. Would be cool if you could just click drag and drop on the desired modulation destination. Similar to how Massive works. Also could be used as a live drum sequencer. Is there anyway to do that sort of thing now?

I say it again and again, this is my number one midi plugin request for live!

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:35 am

3rdordertrauma wrote:I been thinking... it would be really cool if Ableton had a modulation/step sequencer plugin with randomization. Something that could be routed or assigned to any control within a rack the same as the macro knobs. This way rather than using the modulation envelopes you could have a plugin doing the same with random values. Of course savable presets and all that too, allowing you to drop it in any rack and go. Would be cool if you could just click drag and drop on the desired modulation destination. Similar to how Massive works. Also could be used as a live drum sequencer. Is there anyway to do that sort of thing now?
I've requested a device with LFO's for modulation a couple of times already..
Lately alot of people are requesting this.. I think because the racks simply ask for such a feature..
So.. maybe one day..

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:41 am

Those mock-ups look damn cool. Only other thing I would love to have is something like Reasons Matrix Sequencer x8 so it could be used to sequence the Impulse live, (for example) but obviously not just limited to drum sequencing. Love to see one of your mock-ups for something like this.

Cheers,
Poster wrote: I've requested a device with LFO's for modulation a couple of times already..
Lately alot of people are requesting this.. I think because the racks simply ask for such a feature..
So.. maybe one day..

kimyo

Post by kimyo » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:44 pm

this is some insanely awesome shit.

it's like putting on sunglasses and x-ray spex at the same time.

i made this with it:
http://www.iosonic.com/fisticuffs.twits.twist.mp3

eternal gratitude to you, 3rdorderT! i owe you my first child or an equivalent. time to get busy.

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:53 am

kimyo wrote:this is some insanely awesome shit.

it's like putting on sunglasses and x-ray spex at the same time.

i made this with it:
http://www.iosonic.com/fisticuffs.twits.twist.mp3

eternal gratitude to you, 3rdorderT! i owe you my first child or an equivalent. time to get busy.
HAHAHA!!! Sunglasses and X-Ray spex at the same time!

I can dig it!

Your gratitude and excitement is by far enough reward for me my friend. I'm happy you dig it and find it useful.

I'd love to hear what you made with it but the link seems to be broke?? :( For me anyway...

Peace!

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:17 pm

BassTooth wrote:greatest post ever!!!!!!! killer Rack.

i have now lost all productivity for today. thanks.
agreed! :D
Live 12.0.1; Push 2; Mac OS 12.7.4

kimyo

Post by kimyo » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:11 am

3rdordertrauma wrote:
kimyo wrote:
HAHAHA!!! Sunglasses and X-Ray spex at the same time!

I can dig it!

Your gratitude and excitement is by far enough reward for me my friend. I'm happy you dig it and find it useful.

I'd love to hear what you made with it but the link seems to be broke?? :( For me anyway...

Peace!
this is the right one:
http://www.iosonic.com/audio/fisticuffs.twits.twist.mp3

definitely a new direction for me.

here's another:
http://www.iosonic.com/audio/glitchywoman.mp3

and thanks again.

i can't wait to roll this out on stage.

Bumblebeeman

Post by Bumblebeeman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:26 pm

PC owners put glitch vst in each rack with all your favorite patterns for added madness

deeper down the rabbit hole

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:46 pm

Bumblebeeman wrote:PC owners put glitch vst in each rack with all your favorite patterns for added madness

deeper down the rabbit hole
i make clip envelopes to cycle glitch's patterns

Bumblebeeman

Post by Bumblebeeman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:14 pm

Nice

just got back into some of the old reaktor groove boxes, gobox sounds amazing run through all this shit

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:35 pm

kimyo wrote: this is the right one:
http://www.iosonic.com/audio/fisticuffs.twits.twist.mp3

definitely a new direction for me.

here's another:
http://www.iosonic.com/audio/glitchywoman.mp3

and thanks again.

i can't wait to roll this out on stage.
Diggin these Kimyo! I seriously had no idea when posting that rack it would help inspire stuff like this. I posted with a more technical mind, hoping people would add there ideas to the rack and then repost, progressively making the rack its self better and/or different. But getting to hear the tracks created with it is more exciting... haha! Glad you've found it useful and gave it some life. :D