Follow actions out of sync

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
buzzcock

Follow actions out of sync

Post by buzzcock » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:16 pm

I have a 4 Bar MIDI clip comprised of 1/8 th notes. The Clip time signature is set to 4/4 by default. I have the Follow actions set so that the clip triggers itself after one bar.

In a Live Set whose master Time Signature is 3/4, I want the clip to re-trigger after 1 Bar (ie: 3 quarter-note beats). Instead, the clip always re-triggers after 4 beats. I have set the Clip Quantization to Global but it still doesn't work. It only syncs when I change the Clip time signature to match the master time signature and then re-adjust the follow action time to 1 bar.

Is this supposed to work this way? Does the "Global" Clip Quantize setting do nothing with regard to follow actions?
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:17 pm

how many beats is your clip?

did you just say your clip is 4/4 but your set is 3/4?

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:47 pm

The clip is 16 quarter-note beats long. It was recorded in a 4/4 Live Set, hence the the Clip time signature is 4/4. It is already set up for follow actions, re-triggering itself after 1 bar (and ignoring the remaining notes in the clip). I now want to use the same clip in a 3/4 Live Set without having to change the clip's time signature and adjust follow actions OR re-set the clip's length.

I thought that if the clip quantization was set to Global, that the follow actions would follow the Global time signature of whatever Live Set it was in automatically, re-triggering every time the SET hits its 1 downbeat.

Apparenty this is not the case.

i know I can reconfigure the follow actions for the Clip for every Set I use it in but I thought i wouldn't have to.
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882