Remote SL problems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
buzzcock

Remote SL problems

Post by buzzcock » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:21 am

I had my Remote SL 25 working before and I just can't understand why it doesn't now. I have the Remote SL selected in Live's controller prefs but nothing comes up on the contollers LCDs under the Live Automap template. No indication that Live is recieving any MIDI at all. I re-installed the SL driver nothing changed.

Anyone know what to do?

:(
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:16 am

Some things you could try:

-Download a new automap.sys from novationmusic.com and import it to your SL. Maybe you messed up your template somehow.
-Change your USB cable
-If you have another piece of software that the SL automaps to, i.e. Cubase, Reason, etc, see if the SL will automap to that. At least then you can better isolate the problem. If it automaps Cubase and Reason but not Live, then the issue is most likely with Live, not the SL.
-Contact Novation's support via their website. They'll get back to you within 24 hours.

Good luck!

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:13 pm

More trouble.

When I try to update the OS on the SL it dosent respond to the updater. It's like it's not there at all. Tried 3 different usb cables. :!:

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:55 pm

I have contacted Novation support. Waiting to hear back.

:?

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:39 am

So Novation tech support sent me a screenshot of what my Live preferences should look like. i followed the instructions but the SL still won't automap. This is getting very frustrating. Has anyone encountered a problem like this?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:44 am

Did you update your SL??
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:50 am

just to double check, the main oddity with setting that thing up is that under control surfaces you have to use the <controller name>[2] and in the midi settings below you just use <controller name>, where <controller name> would be Novation Remote SL25 or USB Device. Which does it read anyway?

control surfaces is for automap, the midi settings box below is for midi control, you have to set it in both places, but I'm sure you got that from Novation.

I bought a wireless mouse that interfered with the Remote SL, do you have any other USB devices installed? Can you uninstall them for the time being?

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:19 am

-I was able to install the newest OS into the Remote SL, so that should be ok.

-I set the Live MIDI prefs in the following way (according to the tech support guy):

Control surface: Remote SL
Input: Remote SL (Port 2)
Output: Remote SL (Port 2)

MIDI Ports:
Input: Remote SL Port 1: Track: ON, Sync: OFF, Remote: ON
Input: Remote SL Port 2: Track: ON, Sync: OFF, Remote: ON
Output: Remote SL Port 1: Track: ON, Sync: ON, Remote: OFF
Output: Remote SL Port 2: Track: ON, Sync: ON, Remote: OFF
Output: Remote SL Port 3: Track: ON, Sync: ON, Remote: OFF

Then I select template 40 on the SL and hit DUMP on the Live Preference button.

The Live Automap template loads into the SL (I can see this happen on the SL's LCD)

BUT,

All that appears on the LCD are the words "Ableton Automap Ableton" on the left side.

Selecting a device causes nothing, keyboard notes do nothing, faders do nothing. Live registers no incoming MIDI activity.

Curiously, I can see MIDI activity when I switch to a "non automap" template.

I have also tried every other combination of settings in Live's prefs with the same result.

What's really annoying is that this used to just work. Can't figure out why it won't now.
:(

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:30 am

Tone Deft wrote:I bought a wireless mouse that interfered with the Remote SL, do you have any other USB devices installed? Can you uninstall them for the time being?

There are no other USB devices insalled, so that can't be it.

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:15 pm

Been back and forth with novation tech support and it's still not working.

I re-installed the OS, Global file, and Templates (Sysex files sent to me directly from Novation support) using Sysex Librarian. Everything seemed to install fine (recieved by the SL).

STILL DOESN'T AUTOMAP.

I downloaded the App "MIDI Monitor" from snoize.com. What I discovered is that the Remote SL is sending both Note and CC signals on templates 1-32; Only Note and Joystick on templates 33-36; Only Note On/Off on template 38; and NO signal of any kind on templates 37, 39 & 40 (the Automap templates).

Is this normal?

I can't wait to get this thing out of my life, but I can't sell it if it's broken. What a waste of time...

jessecee

Novation SL Zero

Post by jessecee » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:17 pm

I am having the same problem with Live 6.0.1 and the SL Zero, I have updated the Zero with the newest software and nothing.